I would've expected Battlefront, but.....

Started by Tuna, August 10, 2013, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Quote from: Con on August 17, 2013, 07:07:01 PM
Tuna and I are locked in a true epic marathon of CMBN.  I say marathon because its a huge wide open map with the objective on a hill/ridge in the center.  We have spent 20 (I think) turns running towards our goal and still no contact.

I think our troops are going to have heart attacks before the bullets have a chance to cut them down (too much sausage for my guys)

Con

LOL.. I think it's gonna be an epic slaughter against me, with those two kitty cats you have. hopefully that's it. .but still.. lol. .I don't stand a chance!

Tuna

Ugh this is BS... I don't mind having to reactivate.. pissed about losing an 'activation'.. but give me the ability on my install? I have to open a ticket with a helpdesk to reactivate!!!!

http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-108891.html

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:25:56 PM
Ugh this is BS... I don't mind having to reactivate.. pissed about losing an 'activation'.. but give me the ability on my install? I have to open a ticket with a helpdesk to reactivate!!!!

->
Quote from: Battlefront
By upgrading, the license checker is basically not able to recognize your PC anymore, so you need to relicense. Please go to www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and click on Submit Ticket. Make sure to enter your key.

Ugh.

I feel for you man.  We shouldn't have to put up with this shit.

Tuna

Looks like their help-desk does work on the weekends!.. .they sent me a cleaning utility to wipe my license off my game. I will have to try it later on when I get down cellar to my gaming machine.

So kudos to BF for not making me wait till Monday.. but on the other hand, this is kind of a pain in the ass... lol.. I may treat myself to a new vid card or memory when my Bday comes up at the end of the month.. assume, I'll have to do it again..

undercovergeek

i think video and ram will be ok - iirc motherboard, chip and HDD will cause you trouble

Tuna

k.. hope so... I was expecting it with CPU.. then when it worked fine for a week.. I thought I was ok!

Someone told me the same thing will happen with DCS.. I don't mind as long as I don't have to 'contact' them to reactivate.. With Iron Front I just entered my key and that was that..

Tuna

So fire up DCS... it wants to activate.. I expected that coming.. has an activation button, press it.. it fails!!!!!!

You  know, all the Steam Haters out there.. I would take Steam any day of the week over this crap!!!!!

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on August 18, 2013, 02:58:17 PM

You  know, all the Steam Haters out there.. I would take Steam any day of the week over this crap!!!!!

I definitely agree.

While I'm not the biggest Steam fan (mostly due to some bugs & limitations of their client), I realize that it's still much better than this activation junk.

Toonces

If you're somebody that tends to upgrade computers a lot, Steam is a Godsend. 

Reinstalling simply can't be easier.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SgtRock

Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:25:56 PM

BattleFront's License/DRM system will bite you in the ass sooner or later. Just wait when they start charging you for re-activations!! ;D

Anyone ever ask what happens if BattleFront go's bye bye? I doubt it's quick or easy to create a simple patch for every single product.

Tuna

I think I'm more pissed off at DCS right now.. lol.. I like Warthog better.. and right now I can't play it!!! Guess their Helpdesk doesn't work on the weekends..

Battlefront, sent me a file that cleaned out my activation, so I was able to get it going again..

DoctorQuest

As long as people break down and buy these games it's not going to end. There are some elements of DCS that intrigue me but I simply will not risk their DRM. On the other hand most DCS aircraft can be had in other sims. I know the DCS folks like to think they are the only game in town but in my opinion they could not be more wrong.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Tuna

Well 48 hours has come and gone with my support ticket with DCS, so I guess their promise to respond within that time period are bunk. Their FAQ section has some videos about what registry entries to delete, but they don't work.

I saw some posts elsewhere.. They had some suggested keys to delete, so I will try..  I guess with DCS, you have to deactivate before you make your hardware change (not that it's easy to make the activation screen come up once you're already activated). so I guess DCS really fails with their call home DRM.

At least Battlefront's helpdesk responded with a solution the next day (and on the Weekend even).. Again not happy with either's DRM, but at least Battlefront responded with a fix.

Staggerwing

^IIRC, Battlefront came through for me once as well. I couldn't get CMSF to run and they isolated it to some toolbar I had installed in my browser. Why that mattered I still don't know but after I removed it the game ran again.  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys