The Origin Great Game Guarantee

Started by TheCommandTent, August 20, 2013, 07:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteWe know that feeling: the one where you sit down, wait for a new game to finish downloading and installing, start it for the first time, and want it to rock. The intro sucks you in, you press a button to shoot, jump, or talk for the first time, and then it's suddenly three a.m. We know that feeling, and the one afterwards of knowing that not only does a game rock, but that it was worth every dollar you spent on it.

We hope every game you play on Origin will meet this high bar, and we're happy to say that starting today, we can guarantee that we'll make things right if you decide the game you just bought didn't live up to your expectations.

The new Origin Great Game Guarantee works like this: You may return EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) purchased on Origin for a full refund--within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from when you purchased it, or within the first seven days after the game's release date if you pre-ordered it (whichever of these conditions happens first).

If something doesn't work out—you aren't riveted by the storyline, or sucked in by the action, or even just if the game doesn't play well with your video card—we've got your back.

Requesting a refund is quick and easy. Just visit your order history and click the "request a refund" link next to your recent purchase, answer a few quick questions, and we'll take it from there.

For more details, you can check out the full Origin Great Game Guarantee policy details posted on Origin.com. The Origin Great Game Guarantee is effective as of today in 20 countries. Like the improved Origin Store, we are rolling out the program worldwide over the next few weeks, and everyone will be covered by the Origin Great Game Guarantee by the end of September.

Seems like a great customer service idea oddly enough from EA.  I am not sure it is enough to sway my current opinion about Origin but is certainly a step in the right direction.  I wonder how long until STEAM comes with something like this because that would be great especially for games without demos.

*edit* forgot to give yall the link.

https://www.origin.com/us/news/origin-great-game-guarantee?sourceid=Origin_AFF_LS315&c=TnL5HPStwNw&LSsiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-P2gMk_bXYH9POCvOG957kg
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Herman Hum

Bravo.  This is certainly impressive and definitely speaks to the confidence they have in their games.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Huw the Poo

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 20, 2013, 07:30:43 AM
I wonder how long until STEAM comes with something like this because that would be great especially for games without demos.

Like virtually all aspects of their business, Valve absolutely suck with this.  I once requested a refund for a game because it didn't run on my PC, and they didn't give it to me.  They would never get away with that in the UK if they were selling a physical product.  Valve are twats, and EA are making it show with this initiative.  I can't imagine I'll ever install Origin, but I hope this puts the pressure on Valve to start behaving responsibly at last.

jomni

LongBlade

Huh.

That might be enough for me to try to figure out how Origin works again and reset my password.

Maybe.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Herman Hum

Does Origin operate in the same manner as Steam?  i.e. if Origin were to disappear overnight, would your collection of games go with it?
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Herman Hum on August 20, 2013, 12:08:41 PM
Does Origin operate in the same manner as Steam?  i.e. if Origin were to disappear overnight, would your collection of games go with it?

Yep.  Origin are no different to any other online retailer in this regard; if the worst comes to the worst, they're under no obligation whatsoever to enable you to continue playing "your" games.

SgtRock

I'm not a big fan of EA games because of bad DRM on some but, a 7 day game Guarantee with a refund may change that. That way I can at lease see if there are any issues and if I can live with the DRM scheme. I hope other companies follow this policy.

details
https://help.ea.com/article/what-s-the-great-games-guarantee

LongBlade

Quote from: SgtRock on August 20, 2013, 03:07:39 PM
I'm not a big fan of EA games because of bad DRM on some but, a 7 day game Guarantee with a refund may change that. That way I can at lease see if there are any issues and if I can live with the DRM scheme. I hope other companies follow this policy.

details
https://help.ea.com/article/what-s-the-great-games-guarantee

Thanks for sharing. I believe this already has a thread about it so I've merged the two together.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

Bison

Huw the Poo

Quote from: eyebiter on August 20, 2013, 03:55:25 PM
Origin is a hassle, have to go offline to play BF3 single player.  EA wants to use your web browser for multiplayer match making, which requires downloading both the Origin client software and a browser plugin.  There is a battlelog to keep track of activity and achievements.

Christ, that sounds awful.  And primitive.

Purely out of curiosity I went to the Origin website today to browse the store...what a horrid experience!  It's as if they've deliberately made it difficult to find what you want and to filter the selection.  Even Desura's website does it better.

Windigo

there's a few games I d/l from Steam where that'd come in handy
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

SgtRock

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 20, 2013, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: Herman Hum on August 20, 2013, 12:08:41 PM

Yep.  Origin are no different to any other online retailer in this regard; if the worst comes to the worst, they're under no obligation whatsoever to enable you to continue playing "your" games.

That's not true, for non MMO/on-line games you can play them without a Stream connection (off line mode).

Huw the Poo

Quote from: SgtRock on August 20, 2013, 04:44:43 PM
That's not true, for non MMO/on-line games you can play them without a Stream connection (off line mode).

Are you saying that for offline games, Origin essentially requires a one-time activation and that's it?  You can never open Origin again and be able to play the game forever?