Any MMO's with Deeper Gameplay?

Started by SgtRock, August 22, 2013, 03:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtRock

Sadly GW2 seems to be turning into farm event of the week with it's 2 week updates. Are there any MMO's out there with deeper gameplay elements, something more than kill this, farm that?

Huw the Poo

Very few.  In fact the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Eve Online.  Even that has an element of "kill this, farm that" to begin with, but once you join a decent corp, you get involved in the metagame which is so much more than that.

Yskonyn

Yeah the more sandbox oriented MMO's would be a better choice.
EVE online is a great suggestion, but you will have a VERY hard time in there solo. Just to warn you.

Other than that I think SWTOR -while a being a themepark- is a good game. It focusses a lot more on story and has plenty of ways to gain experience. All quests are fully voices and the gripe I have with that is that, ironically enough, taking the many sidequests there are gets tedious because the convo's take so long. Luckily you can spacebar skip through them, though.
But the point is that the questing experience of SWTOR is much nicer than most other themeparks.
And for the first 50 levels of any character, you won't be running around chasing a carrot as most other MMO's make you. You're actually following a true RPG storyline.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ross_ntu

Have you ever looked at Wurm Online - http://wurmonline.com/ ? It has a lot of interesting concepts although when I played it was a bit too much like hard work working out what to do.  Since then though it has been offically released, so it *might* be more accessible than I found it.  I do love the facty that you can actually alter the world / build your own house etc.  IIRC Notch of Minecraft fame was involved originally.