What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on December 11, 2015, 06:00:16 PM
I've read that Mustaine is a borderline genius/psychopath.

Yeah, he was a 150 MPH kind of guy (might still be, I haven't paid much attention to what he and Megadeth have done in the last decade or so), apparently. And pretty brutally honest about his upbringing. I hope he's the one that actually wrote this, and not a ghostwriter.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Gusington on December 11, 2015, 07:05:02 PM
And read Massie's Peter the Great when you get the chance.

Next book I intend to get. Thanks for the tip!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

I love the pre-WWI era and knew nothing of Peter the Great when I read Massie's book and I loved it, even more than Dreadnought. Peter the Great is one of my favorite books ever, along with The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchmann. And go figure I couldn't get through The Guns of August.  :idiot2:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm reading The Battle for Hell's Island by Stephen Moore.  It's about a squadron of SBD dive bomber pilots from the Enterprise and their experiences during the Guadalcanal campaign.  I just finished up To Command the Sky last week and it was a rather technical look at how the US achieved air superiority over Germany in the run up to D-Day.  Hell's Island is a much more lurid, personal account of battle and the change in style is a bit jarring. 

Mr. Bigglesworth

I'm 2/3rds through Sword of Shiva. It's a fairly tense, non-stop military thriller. Recommended. It was also a kindle freebie or dirt cheap a while back, when I got it.

It's winding up to a full on war between China and India. I may finish it tonight.

Just checked, it still about $1 on amazon. 8)
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Thanks Biggs- I snapped up both of those!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Book review posted to front page on Friday
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2015, 03:09:22 PM
I love the pre-WWI era and knew nothing of Peter the Great when I read Massie's book and I loved it, even more than Dreadnought. Peter the Great is one of my favorite books ever, along with The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchmann. And go figure I couldn't get through The Guns of August.  :idiot2:

Guns of August got much better once the fighting starts.  I sort of skimmed all the prequel stuff after the first 20 pages until people start shooting each other.

Right now I'm slowly working my way through Tides of War, which someone suggested a while ago.  I'm enjoying it thus far- about 35% in right now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on December 19, 2015, 03:13:01 PM
Right now I'm slowly working my way through Tides of War, which someone suggested a while ago.  I'm enjoying it thus far- about 35% in right now.
O0

So was it the book that inspired you to start playing Rome II: Wrath of Sparta, or vice-versa? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Martok

Same here.  8)  I seem to recall reading one of the developers of WoS is a fan of the book as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Airborne Rifles

American Ceasar by William Manchester. Very good so far.

Gusington

Commander did you finish The Guns of August? Should I go back to it, skim the beginning and attempt to re-read the meat of it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd