Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

So, first full attempt at a complete game.  Since the release of HoI4 I have yet to have a US game in which I played the US and the war was not over before I could join.  Waking the Tiger hopefully might resolve this. 

Sadly, not on my first attempt.  China wrecked Japan by early '40 and caused the Japanese government to collapse into Civil War.  In Europe, a strange set of circumstances caused Yugoslavia to become the dominant European power after conquering its potentially Axis neighbors.  Allied Yugoslavia is now wrecking Germany with Britain.

Yes, all with historical focus on and Japan and Germany with a buff. 

I really like the new features though. Playing the US let me get to mess around with them without actually getting involved in anything.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jomni

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 08, 2018, 11:59:58 PM
So, first full attempt at a complete game.  Since the release of HoI4 I have yet to have a US game in which I played the US and the war was not over before I could join.  Waking the Tiger hopefully might resolve this. 

Sadly, not on my first attempt.  China wrecked Japan by early '40 and caused the Japanese government to collapse into Civil War.  In Europe, a strange set of circumstances caused Yugoslavia to become the dominant European power after conquering its potentially Axis neighbors.  Allied Yugoslavia is now wrecking Germany with Britain.

Yes, all with historical focus on and Japan and Germany with a buff. 

I really like the new features though. Playing the US let me get to mess around with them without actually getting involved in anything.

Sounds just about right for HOI. :D

HoodedHorseJoe

I love hearing about crazy alt-history stories like this, mainly because they never happen to me. Especially with historical focuses on. That's well weird.

I'm doing a German Empire run right now, historical focuses off, and it's strangely boring. Nothing's actually happening. Japan had the civil war, so the the eastern theatre never started, and because Hitler was removed nothing crazy is happening in Europe either. I'm going to have to start the war myself at this rate.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Rayfer

Quote from: WargamerJoe on March 09, 2018, 05:45:04 AM
I love hearing about crazy alt-history stories like this, mainly because they never happen to me. Especially with historical focuses on. That's well weird.

I'm doing a German Empire run right now, historical focuses off, and it's strangely boring. Nothing's actually happening. Japan had the civil war, so the the eastern theatre never started, and because Hitler was removed nothing crazy is happening in Europe either. I'm going to have to start the war myself at this rate.

+1  Same with me.  With historic focus on I've never had anything truly weird happen like this.  I've had games play out different than the war did historically but not to any extreme. 

RyanE

Yeah, it's weird.  I mean, it never goes perfectly to plan, but most of the games I have played have all seemed plausible.

JasonPratt

I think the game engine butterflies. Various little random results happen, and sometimes there's no substantial difference in result, and sometimes the results compile in unexpected ways and Kuwait leads a Pan-Arabic coalition to conquer Australia.

If I get a historicalishistic outcome on a Paradox engine, I have no complaints, but when I get a gonzo result (I made up that one) I'm delighted. Just so long as it didn't come about from insanely random things like Costa Rica declaring war on Korea and Korea surrendering in order to keep the peace, three times in a row. (That's a classic example from HOI2 days.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

I guess I'm just unlucky when playing the US.  It's actually one of the least interesting countries to play, I just keep trying because it never seems to work out. 

I've had a lot more logical and plausible games playing the other major powers.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Rayfer

Before this update, when you created an army and assigned a leader, you could then train the divisions under his command.  I don't see this ability in the update, or am I just missing it?  Thanks.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Rayfer on March 09, 2018, 03:26:24 PM
Before this update, when you created an army and assigned a leader, you could then train the divisions under his command.  I don't see this ability in the update, or am I just missing it?  Thanks.

They moved it to the army planning bar.

Rayfer

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 09, 2018, 04:08:26 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on March 09, 2018, 03:26:24 PM

They moved it to the army planning bar.

Thanks...!   Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.   :idiot2:

Ian C

Lots of great new features.

I'll say something a bit out there -I'm beginning to think that the only speed to use during war time is speed 1. It's the only way you can take in everything and follow individual battles.

fabius

Quote from: Ian C on March 10, 2018, 07:02:51 AM

I'll say something a bit out there -I'm beginning to thing that the only speed to use during war time is speed 1. It's the only way you can take in everything and follow individual battles.
Definitely, even with that I pause. In my defence thought Hoi4 speed 1 is faster than Hoi 3

glen55

Quote from: Ian C on March 10, 2018, 07:02:51 AM

I'll say something a bit out there -I'm beginning to think that the only speed to use during war time is speed 1. It's the only way you can take in everything and follow individual battles.

If I have more than 1 battle going on at once I am more likely to run it on speed 3 or so and pause it every 24 hours, or maybe every 12 hours or 8 hours. Check things out, do actions if required, unpause. Speed 1 is good to follow 1 crucial battle with all-out attention.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ian C

I had it running on speed 1 as the UK for the defense of the Belgium border during the 'Blitzkrieg'. I thought I'd delay the advance and then the Nazis broke through and half my force got overrun. That overrun mechanic is deadly. You think you can retreat then blam, over. Panzers circled me and cut off my retreat route. I managed to evac 2 out of 13 divisions. Also North Africa in 1940 while my Med Fleet was repairing at Alexandria - The Afrika Corps landed in Vichy-controlled Syria and made for the Suez via The Levant. I'm also hard-pressed at Tobruk against Italian and German forces and in East Africa. I've never had that happen before, playing as the UK. I can usually mop up Italy in Africa and without AI German intervention. Something's changed for the better with the AI certainly.

Reading some posts about combat changes on their forums and people complaining it's harder to break through. It's not, you really have to use forces historically now and it's irritating some of the casual players quite a bit. The pace has altered quite a bit and I think it's far more realistic - and the AI attacks you in areas it never did before.

Jarhead0331

Great...so what you're saying is that in a game that I sucked in when the AI was brain dead, I'm REALLY going to suck at now?

Any feedback on how the PTO is playing out?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18