Steel Division 1944 (by wargame red dragon devs) in game trailer and unit stream

Started by Destraex, March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabius

I prefer the more modern time setting of Wargame; but never stuck with it.

Despite this not having a dynamic campaign, I really think they're improved and balanced play, pace and the AI that I can see me booting it up for a fun tactical fix quite often.

Big plus for me is the AI is using combined arms well; making pushes that are not suicide dashes; and giving me a challenge, if not the whole battle but for significant periods. (Medium AI)

Long term- taking to the decks for the first time and I like how we can select created battle groups. Could be interesting for creating infantry heavy battles.

Raied

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 07, 2017, 01:59:48 PM
I bought it. I'm not sure if I will refund it.

It's not my thing.

I've fallen from Wargame.

I dont enjoy micromanaging squads & teams
I have an entire Battalion / Battlegroup to worry about. I want to focus on tactics of my entire element - flanking and maneuvering - not whether Johnny and his Bren team need to move 5 meters into cover or not. The game just feels like Company of Heroes on steroids.

This is not a good solo game - the AI is just able to react much faster than a human.
There were times when I was trying to balance my focus on my entire force. I had a Rifle platoon, a section of M18's, and a 17lber. The infantry was getting hammered by tanks, my M18's were getting hammered by AT guns, and the enemy was firing 2x rocket halftracks worth of munitions at my 17lber.

The AI can attack you, while simultaneously coordinating ground - air - artillery. No human can react to all of that. I was spending very little time on any specific unit because I was bouncing back and forth too much. The end result was - everything was destroyed.

Things I DO like:
-Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful game. Eugen never fails to amaze me with their IrisZoom game engine. This is my favorite, asethetically looking game engine on the market.
-Command Units are cool
-No more victory locations - Conquest mode now takes the entire map into account. So the winner is the guy who controls the majority of the map - through a frontline

Thanks for the details, this is a problem with most RTS games, I think a function of easy pause and giving order is a must in those type of games for people who love  to focus on strategy and tactics more than just reacting.
I have some questions though, is there any delay of execution after giving order to units, or its just same as other wargame?
Does recon units occupy or take part for your front line (the map changes to your color when recon unit on it)?
Is there any kind of order of battle, platoon commands/ artillery spotter/ company commander unit that effect the other units under the hierarchy, or it is just like other wargame series?

Thanks, and I agree about how beautiful is the map and graphics of this engine.

Jarhead0331

I think it is an outstanding solo game. It is, in fact, the only way I play it. I find I am just as capable of managing combined arms operations as the AI, without feeling overwhelmed. It is challenging, but then isn't that the whole point? At no time have I felt that the AI had an unfair advantage over me in any battle.

For people asking about realism and authenticity, you have to keep in mind that overall, these games are wargame "lite". They incorporate some elements of authenticity, ie. LOS, morale, cover, recon, supply, etc., but may leave out some higher level factors, such as C&C, organization, strict adherence to a TO&E, etc. Accept the game for what it is and enjoy! When you want something more hardcore, go play WitW in WitE. There is room on my harddrive for all of them, and Steel Division has already earned its place!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

acctingman

I for one, appreciate everyone's impressions of this game. Most, like 99% of you, are WAY more experienced than I am when it comes to wargames and I know I'm pretty slow to react, so games like this are a bit daunting for someone like myself  :crazy2:

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 07, 2017, 04:07:46 PM
It is challenging, but then isn't that the whole point?

Different strokes for different folks.

What you define as 'challenging' I consider tedious and overall unenjoyable. Micromanaging teams and Squads are not the types of challenges I ever experienced when commanding troops, nor do I find those types of things to be fun - probably why Wargame/SD isn't for me anymore.

As a commander, you should be focused on a bigger picture (enemy OODA loop, timelines, decisions, adjacent, higher, etc) not micro details that subordinate commanders can manage (Team/Squad/Section/Platoon,Company)

jomni

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 07, 2017, 05:02:50 PM
As a commander, you should be focused on a bigger picture (enemy OODA loop, timelines, decisions, adjacent, higher, etc) not micro details that subordinate commanders can manage (Team/Squad/Section/Platoon,Company)

Tell that to a Combat Mission player.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: jomni on April 07, 2017, 05:09:56 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 07, 2017, 05:02:50 PM

Tell that to a Combat Mission player.

My favorite [sarcasm] was Flashpoint Campaigns. Managing Sections and Platoons at the Brigade/Division level. Eeek!

Destraex

I think it is an outstanding solo game. It is, in fact, the only way I play it. I find I am just as capable of managing combined arms operations as the AI, without feeling overwhelmed. It is challenging, but then isn't that the whole point? At no time have I felt that the AI had an unfair advantage over me in any battle.

For people asking about realism and authenticity, you have to keep in mind that overall, these games are wargame "lite". They incorporate some elements of authenticity, ie. LOS, morale, cover, recon, supply, etc., but may leave out some higher level factors, such as C&C, organization, strict adherence to a TO&E, etc. Accept the game for what it is and enjoy! When you want something more hardcore, go play WitW in WitE. There is room on my harddrive for all of them, and Steel Division has already earned its place!
Exactly. However I am at the moment feeling a little like I have nothing to do, it just feels like a spam numbers game the way you use infantry. I might need to play it on hard. My infantry feel way too vulnerable because their is so much armour around.

Tried a 10v10 today and won but most of the enemy team upon realising they were doomed quit the game leaving us with a further 20 minute slog to the end.
At this stage the game became so easy that I started experimenting.

Compared to old wargame.....

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Raied

I understand this is not meant to be a full wargame or mil sim, but I wanted to know if there is any more wargame element added to the game since the last game in the series.
I enjoy games like MoW2 and so but I do not take it seriously, just enjoy it, games like MoW advanced the old typical RTS with cover for infantry, damage module for vehicle etc and still didnt remove the fun of being arcade RTS, it will be really nice if some mechanisms from CM or GT games added to this game and streamlined them.
What I liked about the wargame series is the realistic map and distances, what I hoped for Steel Division that more realistic elements would be added without making the game more complicated.
For sure I will get the game, but I always like to see any game series to evolve.

MikeGER

this is how i will probably play it  :)   
...found a video with constant slow and slower speed selection and nice zoomed-in episodes 
(watch from @3:45 on to at least @10:00 to see some really cool stuff ...including almost over the shoulder war-movie mode scenes)

(in the meantime i also saw a different vid where a mauled infantry with flashing red stress-bar  'jumps' from the street into the next house  ...some time later in that vid  it has recovered and later got a new order by the player)

SOLD !     

fabius

Pretty much this really. This game scratches an itch.

That said, because I play mostly on Bullet Time and slow battles are taking long. I/m sure that I will get quicker and if I get comfortable on Normal for periods will try MP.

As for the SP game. I'm on my 4th with same map and same divisions. Each game the AI has done it's fair share in making it different. Sure the terrain key points have mostly been the same, but the AI has come at me differently enough each time.

Amazing detail, the game is beautiful zoomed in too; and there's Bullet time for that.

acctingman

after watching that video I might not wait for a sale  :dreamer:

The combat pace doesn't look that fast at all....watching it, I could follow it no problem

Rayfer

Quote from: acctingman on April 08, 2017, 12:45:21 PM

The combat pace doesn't look that fast at all....watching it, I could follow it no problem

I find MikeGER's video very enticing as well. I wouldn't normally look twice at this sort of fast paced game, but the slower settings look very manageable. Appears (correct me if I'm wrong) units will fire automatically at enemies, but you can, if you want, micro-manage and have a unit fire at an enemy you select for it?

Barthheart

Quote from: Rayfer on April 08, 2017, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: acctingman on April 08, 2017, 12:45:21 PM

I find MikeGER's video very enticing as well. I wouldn't normally look twice at this sort of fast paced game, but the slower settings look very manageable. Appears (correct me if I'm wrong) units will fire automatically at enemies, but you can, if you want, micro-manage and have a unit fire at an enemy you select for it?

Correct. You can also tell units to only fire if fired at. This is a very useful setting for leg unit scouts. You can have them sneak past the front line a look for stuff coming your way. They don't trigger the front line graphic/mechanic. I had a scout team quite far behind the front and they spotted a PAK 50 being towed toward the front. Had them open up, shoot up the towing kublewagon, then kill the gun crew. Back to don't shoot mode and move on.

Also had a M5 Stuart sneak around a hedgerow and come up behind a Panther, shoot it in the ass twice and cause a bail out.  \m/ Then get blasted from half way across the map by it's partner.  :hide:

Barthheart

Haven't tried MP yet... does someone know if you can choose who you play against? Might be interesting to get a Grogheads Only MP going some night.  :D