Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostryder

Hehe ;D

I just can't take another "throw a hampster in a spacesuit" type 4x game....which they all seem to be. They spend all those resources on ship design, expanded research, combat, planet options....whatever...but then when they get to races it's the cartoon network. I'd really for once like some decent hard sci-fi races in a 4x game....ones so interesting that the first mods out aren't to replace the races the game comes with the game or how about so good no mods ever come out to replace them?

Nothing kills immersion more than having a conversation with a talking roach.

So i was having this back and forth with the devs of predistination, and I tell them...you know those new planet options you thought are cool and all but if you want to really stand out you need to work on your races.

And they simply didn't get it, "our races are decidedly different. Each has distinct attributes and weakness's"

"And each look like puss 'n' boots or an archie comic"

"Enough with the soap opera races. Sure it works in star trek or Star wars--but they never work in a 4x game"

They kept their default races....and the greenlight game is mostly under the radar. Those other great looking options are also not turning out to be as fun as they first looked...so they are struggling.

I finished my back and forth with. "There was a game called Emperor of the Fading Suns. Being a buggy mess mostly not finished there's been a ton of mods...but not one touched the races. They were that damn good. they were so good players put up with everything else to experience that universe."

Lore is everything. You can't throw a hampster in a WWII uniform and have a good WWII strategy game so why why why why do it here?

So anyway...if you a bit confused those races in the vid are from predistination-but I felt the message was fitting here as well.

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Anguille

Quote from: ghostryder on March 16, 2016, 10:45:19 PM
Hehe ;D
I just can't take another "throw a hampster in a spacesuit" type 4x game....which they all seem to be. They spend all those resources on ship design, expanded research, combat, planet options....whatever...but then when they get to races it's the cartoon network. I'd really for once like some decent hard sci-fi races in a 4x game....ones so interesting that the first mods out aren't to replace the races the game comes with the game or how about so good no mods ever come out to replace them?
I was thinking the same thing. I've watched the presentation with Quil and realised how similar all these races where (in terms of size and form)....the rest of the game looks fantastic but this kills the immersion somehow. Master of Orion 3 had some nice races. Some are missing like the Tachidi who are huge.

JudgeDredd

Oh....I like Quill. I watched a few of his videos on Masters of Orion
Alba gu' brath

PAK

Holy... that's a LOT of stars and even more planets. They really need to refine management or ....

Ian C

Barthheart

Quote from: PAK on March 17, 2016, 06:07:27 AM
Holy... that's a LOT of stars and even more planets. They really need to refine management or ....

There are governors that you can appoint to take care of the mundane stuff as your empire grows. You are encouraged even to divid your empire into sectors/provinces to better run a large empire.
At least that's what I read in someone's preview ... RPS maybe....

Anguille

It's going to be similar to what MOO3 was supposed to be:  a player can do anything, he can't do everything.

You'll have employees everywhere, with their own agenda....you just control the big picture.

Barthheart

Quote from: Barthheart on March 17, 2016, 06:45:56 AM

There are governors that you can appoint to take care of the mundane stuff as your empire grows. You are encouraged even to divid your empire into sectors/provinces to better run a large empire.
At least that's what I read in someone's preview ... RPS maybe....

Nope I read it in the Dev diaries of the game...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-21-administrative-sectors.908587/

Barthheart

More actual game play:

Man this looks awesome!  :D

Ian C

Quote from: Barthheart on March 17, 2016, 08:54:54 AM

Man this looks awesome!  :D

That's looks wonderful . All joking aside, I really can't wait. The release of this before HOI4 will bridge the waiting gap very nicely.

sandman2575

The fact that Stellaris and HOI4 are coming out within a month of each other is insane -- as in, insanely awesome.

My anticipation for these 2 is so great that I'm having trouble staying interested in the games I currently own. I open my Steam library and think, "Man, really wish I could play Stellaris or HOI4 right now..."  OOTP17 is coming out soon though so that will tide me over til May...

2016 -- Paradox's greatest year yet.

Barthheart

More good stuff....

All hail Blorg!

So tonight will be the grand premiere of the Stellaris gameplay streams! We will continue doing these every week on Thursday's from now on. In the future, they will be aired mid-day in Europe however.

Tune in at 20:00CET - http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

As usual, the stream will be available in the Twitch VOD archive afterwards, and be uploaded to Youtube as soon as possible.

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 17, 2016, 01:48:30 AM
Oh....I like Quill. I watched a few of his videos on Masters of Orion

yeah, ive watched a lot of videos - i like his enthusiasm - i didnt need to see this one to be sold on the game but having watched it im hyped for the game - dont give a damn if its got space hamsters, and galactic bunnies in, me wants it

i dont have the time to make a half assed amateur video about how much im excited, but i wish i did

Anguille

Yeah...Quill's videos are really nice.

Now, i am a HUGE fan of 4x games set in space but right now i feel saturated!

Stellaris is going to be awesome but i think i'll wait a while before buying it (same for Endless Space II and others). I first need to play properly Stardrive II and Master of Orion IV....and this may well take me until the end of the year. Anyway...i look forward to hear and read more about Stellaris and the other games but i just feel like my head is going to explode.