Main Menu

New game at HPS

Started by Zulu1966, March 26, 2016, 07:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

TacticalWargames

Typical Jeff game. Enjoyable. Like the topic.

panzerde

Interesting idea. I used to live out there, and worked at a school for Sioux kids, so I'm fairly familiar with the subject matter. Definitely on my list.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Boggit

If anything like the real battle this will be a "quick play" game for an Indians 1 vs US Cavalry 0. The historic best course of action would have been making a quick exit and keeping your hair. ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

magnus

Not really, if they hadn't been split into three separate forces, the seventh might have easily come up with a draw.

If you read the accounts, the cavalry and their mounts were extremely overtired as well. The Indians describe them both as shaking with fatigue.

Boggit

Quote from: magnus on March 27, 2016, 09:16:18 AM
Not really, if they hadn't been split into three separate forces, the seventh might have easily come up with a draw.

If you read the accounts, the cavalry and their mounts were extremely overtired as well. The Indians describe them both as shaking with fatigue.
Admittedly my reading of the battle is a bit thin. I just had the impression that they just dived into an overwhelming  situation without any real recon, as apparently the battle was over within 15 minutes from the first attack.

Too much Hollywood westerns, and PBS America Docu's I guess! ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

panzerde

Quote from: Boggit on March 27, 2016, 11:48:33 AM

Admittedly my reading of the battle is a bit thin. I just had the impression that they just dived into an overwhelming  situation without any real recon, as apparently the battle was over within 15 minutes from the first attack.

Well, that's more or less what Custer did. Poor reconnaissance and divided forces against a foe with considerably superior numbers. Had Custer listened to his scouts, not divided into separate forces, and taken along the Gatling guns and reinforcements he'd been offered, it might well have been a different battle.

Even with half of the 7th gone with Custer, Reno and Benteen were able to reunite and hold off the attacking Sioux and Cheyenne, so the full 7th may well have been more than they could have dealt with.

But yes, trying to play with a historical setup (to the extent we know what happened) virtually ensures a US Army defeat.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Zulu1966

Quote from: panzerde on March 27, 2016, 12:17:12 PM
Quote from: Boggit on March 27, 2016, 11:48:33 AM

Well, that's more or less what Custer did. Poor reconnaissance and divided forces against a foe with considerably superior numbers. Had Custer listened to his scouts, not divided into separate forces, and taken along the Gatling guns and reinforcements he'd been offered, it might well have been a different battle.

Even with half of the 7th gone with Custer, Reno and Benteen were able to reunite and hold off the attacking Sioux and Cheyenne, so the full 7th may well have been more than they could have dealt with.

But yes, trying to play with a historical setup (to the extent we know what happened) virtually ensures a US Army defeat.

Well looks like you can try all that in the game. Not pulled the trigger yet, not certain about his games.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

magnus

When the Crow scouts started their death rituals I wonder what the troopers thought.

Much like Queequeg on the Pequot.

It is a battle that was pretty much lost before it started. The actual recon wasn't poor the scouts new exactly what was coming.

When you also add in all of the immense hatred, not even dislike, between Custer and his subordinates.

It is also possible, according to some authors, that Reno and Benteen could have gone to Custer's aid since the Indians left them to attack Custer. I doubt it, because of the shape they were in.

The other factor is the pace and lack of sleep on the troopers part. Everyone knew on both sides that this would be the last great Indian battle.

Libby Custer made it her life's work to put the blame on everyone but her husband, where it belonged and she did a very good job of it.

Custer saw it as his ticket to the White House. His part in the campaign was explained to him in detail. The only problem was that if he followed it, all of the glory wouldn't have gone to him.

Not to hijack the thread, but this is one of the campaigns that is begging for a treatment of a game like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa. I think they are on a great roll with adding ill will between subordinates etc..

Grim.Reaper

No idea good these games are from the developer, but next planned game by him sounds interesting....

Patriot Battles
Our next scheduled major release is 'Patriot Battles Tactical Battles of the American Revolution'. Patriot Battles will be available in both a premium Windows Desktop version (complete with a full featured Battle Builder) and a quick play version for mobile platforms. Release dates and project info coming soon. Please check back for further details.

magnus

PB sounds excellent.

These battles haven't been touched by HPS for a long time.

TacticalWargames

You get options like Gatling Guns to see how things would have panned out if Custer had taken them. He refused due to them slowing him down.