Vietnam 1965-1975

Started by rstites25, June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drep

It's a 2 0 6 VC Battalion as well.

rstites25

You don't have to reveal the VC information until we actually get to combat.

Alert roll was a 2, modified to 3 because of the +1 for the cultivated hex foot MA.

drep

Well crap. Dispersal it'll be then.

rstites25

drep

rstites25

Big operation targeting the NVA.

2nd and 3rd brigades of the 101st+ 155mm art + 191st's HQ. The artillery and 191 HQ are one hex away, but they have the range to hit a target with an intervening hex in between. Also added 26 air.

Combat strength is 18. For a ratio modifier, I'm limited to 3x that for support. So I'll have a total of 72 for combat strength (18 x 3 support + 18). My total support for purposes of casualties is 59 (33 art. + 26 air).

If there's no reaction into the NVA hex. You'll have 21 raw combat strength + 12 support.  So combat will be +2 for a 2:1 ratio and a -1 for marsh terrain. Losses will be on the 76-99.5 column for you (21 your strength + 59 my support) and 22 to 30.5 (18 my strength + 12 your support).

You have the option of a reaction move for the adjacent patrolling VC unit.

drep

I'll move the adjacent VC into the target hex.  It's a 2 1 6 VC Battalion. I think that will bump you up on the loss column.

rstites25

* Attacker Loss Column =  31 to 42.5
* Defender Loss Column =  76 to 99.5
* Combat Odds =  2:1       Odds DRM = 2
* Terrain DRM = -1
* Air Points Allocated to Operation
* **********  Combat Roll = 2  Modified Roll = 3  **********
* Defender Loss = 8
* Attacker Loss = 4
* Pursuit Result  = 0
* Air Point Lost - Please Adjust Counter on General Record Track
* Combat Board Reset for New Round/Attack
* *******  Combat Resolved  *******
* US RPs moves 47 -> 43 *
* Air Points Remaining +100 (Turn) moves 22 -> 21 *
* Current Op Info (Air Dedicated) moves 26 -> 25 *
- Logfile written.

NVA only have 4 replacement points. So even with taking 2 losses with the VC unit, there will have to be an NVA unit removed to satisfy part of the remaining loss. Plus the opportunity to retreat. I'll let you decide how you want to handle that in the logfile when you clean up the rest.

drep

I cleaned up the map and retreated. Unless I was reading incorrectly, NVA units don't get to "make change" with replacements and losses like the VC. So I eliminated one NVA unit and then finished the losses with a VC RP.

I'll pass again.

rstites25

Did you post a VASSAL file to dropbox Dan? I thought I saw that you did from my home computer, but I'm looking at dropbox online today and not seeing it. It may be a dropbox issue.

drep

I must have forgotten. It's up now.

rstites25

Clear and Secure mission out of Phong Dinh--using air mobile!

The two southern units are a 3-0-8 battalion and an 0-7-6 artillery (already placed on holding missions). The units to the SE of the target hex are a 0-5-6 HQ, 3-0-8 battalion, and 0-4-6 artillery. I brought in 2 3-0-8 units to the hex north of the target (using full MA to get there). There was already a 1-0-6 ARVN unit there You could reaction move the VC to the NW of the last units. I was thinking had to move both units separately, but since they started in the same stack, they could move together, I think. So there's no way to cut the second unit off with a reaction move, I guess. That used 7 of my 12 air mobile points.

You have a reaction option and then an alert option.

drep

6 MP is exactly enough I believe to reaction move into the target hex.  I'll do that and then see what the alert roll is.

rstites25

Alert roll was a 3, modified to a 4 because of the +1 for cultivated hex.

drep

4 MP is the right amount I think to move two units in the target stack to the NW Forested Hill hex in 0766