Old games you wish were remade / updated

Started by jamus34, February 12, 2017, 04:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

As I read all the way through this list I couldn't help but wondering how many of you were pounding on your keyboards/monitors and screaming "damn you machine, make me feel young again.  Make me feel as I did THAT DAY!"

Trying to imagine a publisher even considering a reboot of M1 or Stealth Fighter as they were.  The simmers would holler holy hell and the shooter-boyz would turn away very quickly, especially with the latter.

"System Shock" would be met with howls of:  what, no MP?!!

AoR and my beloved BoN, hah...

With the world gone console, I feel blessed to have what we do:  CMx2, JTS, On Target, Civ, and then the occasional cross-over that doesn't make me want to hurt myself.

A few that have been passed over do surprise me, though.  Mail Order Monsters could be translated into a graphic-rich experience that I think would be a lot of fun.  Even if my memories are of playing it with an Atari 2600 joystick.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

rocketman

Rayfer

Quote from: Cyrano on February 13, 2017, 12:40:34 PM
As I read all the way through this list I couldn't help but wondering how many of you were pounding on your keyboards/monitors and screaming "damn you machine, make me feel young again.  Make me feel as I did THAT DAY!"

Trying to imagine a publisher even considering a reboot of M1 or Stealth Fighter as they were.  The simmers would holler holy hell and the shooter-boyz would turn away very quickly, especially with the latter.

With the world gone console, I feel blessed to have what we do:  CMx2, JTS, On Target, Civ, and then the occasional cross-over that doesn't make me want to hurt myself.

A few that have been passed over do surprise me, though.  Mail Order Monsters could be translated into a graphic-rich experience that I think would be a lot of fun.  Even if my memories are of playing it with an Atari 2600 joystick.

Amen brother....a big +1.

jamus34

Quote from: Cyrano on February 13, 2017, 12:40:34 PM

That's kinda why I put the caveat that for some of those games the ship has sailed so to speak.

For me though UI and a general fun factor will trump graphics every time. Look at my steam playlist... There's a lot of non graphically intense games on there and up high in playtime
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

Quote from: rocketman on February 13, 2017, 12:51:59 PM
Seven Cities of Gold
M.U.L.E
:bd:

I think M.U.L.E. has been given a recent remake somewhere, pretty sure on Steam, but I can't recall the new title...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Any game that would make me feel young again I'd buy in an instance!  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Hmm, not what I was thinking of, but still: http://www.mulereturns.com/ for iOS and Android.

I'm probably thinking of either Offworld Trading Company (which features MULEs but probably isn't really the same game), or SpaceHORSE by Shrapnel.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Slick Wilhelm

I'd like to see hi-res versions of Uncommon Valor and Forge of Freedom.

But my favorite for modernization would be Great Naval Battles 2:Guadalcanal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeQWzhr8ebw

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Greybriar on February 12, 2017, 07:23:52 PM
Quote from: spelk on February 12, 2017, 07:08:55 PM
Has anyone said Age of Rifles? :)

Yes. O0

Are you sure we haven't mentioned Age of Rifles?

Oh wait, I mentioned it too. 

May I mention it again?  Can it be like one of things magical things you can speak into existence if you believe hard enough?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

OJsDad

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 13, 2017, 02:57:35 PM
Any game that would make me feel young again I'd buy in an instance!  :D

Monopoly is from the 1930's, that would put you in your early 20's. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Cyrano

It is entirely possible that I was triggered by this conversation.

I think that's what triggered means:

http://kriegsspieler.blogspot.com/2017/02/you-can-linger-too-long-in-your-dreams.html
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Drakken

SirAndrewD

I just remembered how much fun I had with Task Force 1942. 

I'd like to see another Task Force 1942.

:'(
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

reapagan

Somebody finish or remake Guardians Agents of Justice the never finished Microprose superhero game based on xcom.

Warhorse

Star General, loved that game, I can get it to run sometimes, but back in the day I spent a lot of time on this game, thought it was way cool.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue