The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

I see that there is an editor for editing maps and scenarios. Does this game have a random battle generator at all? I didn't see it in the FAQ so I'm assuming no, but I'm totally unfamiliar with this series.

RyanE

I don't think it does and frankly, I don't think it really needs one.  Its very historically driven and there are hundreds of scenarios.  I like battle generators, biut this just doesn't seem like a game that needs one.

Of course its been 5-6 years since I even opened the game up so I could be wrong.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on November 07, 2017, 10:03:11 AM
I don't think it does and frankly, I don't think it really needs one.  Its very historically driven and there are hundreds of scenarios.  I like battle generators, biut this just doesn't seem like a game that needs one.

Of course its been 5-6 years since I even opened the game up so I could be wrong.

I agree. I really do not see the draw of a random battle generator in a game like this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 07, 2017, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: RyanE on November 07, 2017, 10:03:11 AM

I agree. I really do not see the draw of a random battle generator in a game like this.

+1
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 07, 2017, 08:59:04 AM
Always fun to guess...I'll say between $29 and $39....either way I have a 40 percent off coupon that will make it easier :)

Operation Art of War III still sells for $30 so $60 for IV feels like a reasonable guess.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 07, 2017, 01:20:36 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 07, 2017, 08:59:04 AM
Always fun to guess...I'll say between $29 and $39....either way I have a 40 percent off coupon that will make it easier :)

Operation Art of War III still sells for $30 so $60 for IV feels like a reasonable guess.

is there twice as many new features than the old game?  $60 seems high unless a lot of new enhancements, but who knows.  always tough to gauge what matrix is thinking,

RyanE

The new features are documented on the Matrix sight I thought.  Back last time I looked at it, they reworked quite a bit.

Grim.Reaper

Yep, saw it at their product page...was just more wondering if these would justify doubling the price of the current version...very well might, but I am leaning towards a lower price....we'll find out soon enough.  As long as in a reasonable range, certainly will pick up.

Pete Dero

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2422/The.Operational.Art.of.War.IV.Scenario.List

Many of you have wondered what scenarios will be included, how many from TOAW III, how many completely new ones, and so on.

That's why we have decided to publish the full list of the accessible scenarios, to give you a nice overview of the historical depth available.

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/TOAoW4_scenarios-list_low-res(4).pdf

Jarhead0331

Nice. 11/16 can't come fast enough.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Damn! Did they leave a battle out? I feel like taking every wargame I've got and chunkin' them in the river. HOLD IT. HOLD IT. I don't see any of Osceola's Seminole battles listed. Well there you go.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 09, 2017, 01:47:35 PM
oh no...this is released around the same time as Battlefront II. In fact a day earlier I believe. I really did like TOAW III  :tickedoff:
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 10, 2017, 01:49:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 09, 2017, 01:47:35 PM
oh no...this is released around the same time as Battlefront II. In fact a day earlier I believe. I really did like TOAW III  :tickedoff:

always room for both:)

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

RedArgo

Its been a long time since I played this, the first one I think, but I noticed this one has scenarios for Coral Sea and Midway.  Does it handle these kinds of battles well?  For some reason I'm thinking it wouldn't, but it's been so long.  I'm imaging a level of detail kind of like naval battles in Panzer General.