To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Barthheart on April 16, 2017, 07:57:49 AM
Panzerde's head is going to explode when he reads that...  :2funny:

It's actually less wear-and-tear on maps since they don't have to be folded back into the boxes and monster games like the Alexander the Great stuff with all its extensions and mix-and-match scenarios are easier to sort through.  Plus there's always the feeling of relief when you shovel an annoying scenario into a bag and turn it into a chaotic matrix at the bottom of all other possible scenarios.

Barthheart

Quote from: MengJiao on April 16, 2017, 12:07:41 PM

It's actually less wear-and-tear on maps since they don't have to be folded back into the boxes and monster games like the Alexander the Great stuff with all its extensions and mix-and-match scenarios are easier to sort through.  Plus there's always the feeling of relief when you shovel an annoying scenario into a bag and turn it into a chaotic matrix at the bottom of all other possible scenarios.

Oh, I agree with your methods. I use the same things for some of my series games... Doug however... well let's just see if he ever sees this thread....  :D

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on April 16, 2017, 12:34:13 PM

Oh, I agree with your methods. I use the same things for some of my series games... Doug however... well let's just see if he ever sees this thread....  :D

Vile, game component mixing heretics. If games in a series were meant to be mixed up, they'd come in one big box to start with. I warn you, you toy with the laws of nature here at your peril...
:hide:
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

So who's buying the 2mm trimmer? Hard to argue with that price.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

I should by a trimmer, but I'm going to devote that money to another game.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on April 16, 2017, 05:23:16 PM

That's how I went.  For awhile.

Then it began calling me every time I saw cardboard counters.

Barthheart

Bison

Quote from: panzerde on April 16, 2017, 04:30:19 PM

Vile, game component mixing heretics. If games in a series were meant to be mixed up, they'd come in one big box to start with. I warn you, you toy with the laws of nature here at your peril...

I'm with Panzer on this one.  Why would you mix components in such a cruel way?  Maps deserve their own picture frame.

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on April 16, 2017, 05:24:15 PM

That's how I went.  For awhile.

Then it began calling me every time I saw cardboard counters.

Lancaster is calling out to me with a siren song of desire.

mirth

The 2mm Trimmer is calling out to me

MengJiao

Quote from: panzerde on April 16, 2017, 04:30:19 PM

Isn't Nature all in one big box?

Crossroads

Not responding to you as such but rather as a general comment I'd say either clip the counters properly or do not touch them at all. That's what proper clippers such as the fabs Oregon Lam 2mm does, immaculate corners. And that's what the Ethical Treatment of Square corners calls for as well, when you read the small print  O:-)

For resell value, I'd never buy a 2d hand game if its chits are clipped with knifes, nailclippers, or such. I don't mind punched, of course not as it'd be 2d hand game, but no mutilations either. Done otherwise manually, it is just an uneven end result.

I've bought a few games with Oregon Lam clipped chits though having ensured the seller credentials and asked about this as well, and why not, saves me the effort. Often the sellers themselves point this out too.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

I prefer to purchase games with untrimmed counters. That way I can mutilate them myself :P