Microsoft Flight Simulator...

Started by Jarhead0331, June 09, 2019, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I'll wait for a while too.
Once a third party 'own your little aviation business' becomes available I will begin showing some more interest.
Or a cool mission pack with , for example, bush pilot campaign, fire fighting, etc.
Just going from A to B in bad weather isn't my thing for a sim anymore. 😊
I'll stick with DCS. But man alive! I wish DCS had those graphics and weather engine!
Very curious to find out the verdict on the new vanilla FS, though!
PCGamer already hinted that it might be a typical FS release; in highest detail there is no pc yet that can run the thing at a solid 60 or even 30 fps in high density environments.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Well after 11 hour download...have to say very impressed at least graphically and the airports and such.  I was able to take off from my tiny local airport and the surroundings were extremely familiar.  I could tell as I flew over my high school:)  I'll never be good at actually flying, but can see myself just looking around my neighborhood:)

steve58

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 17, 2020, 11:15:28 PM
Downloading now...it will be awhile.  I didn't purchase it, comes included with my GamePass subscription so low risk for me, especially since I usually stink at these things....we'll see.

Just an FYI note that you can get Xbox Game Pass for PC for $1 intro price for the 1st month.  Regular price of $4.99/month after that (don't forget to cancel if you don't want to continue).  Probably requires a cc, but still, looks like a real cheap way to give MSFS 2020 a test flight or two...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on August 18, 2020, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 17, 2020, 11:15:28 PM
Downloading now...it will be awhile.  I didn't purchase it, comes included with my GamePass subscription so low risk for me, especially since I usually stink at these things....we'll see.

Just an FYI note that you can get Xbox Game Pass for PC for $1 intro price for the 1st month.  Regular price of $4.99/month after that (don't forget to cancel if you don't want to continue).  Probably requires a cc, but still, looks like a real cheap way to give MSFS 2020 a test flight or two...

Yep, I already own the GamePass, have used for quite some time....really good value (even for the $5) in my opinion and used it for this game.

Jarhead0331

Impressed. It is a very polished product.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

I have been flying around on MSFS20 for most of the day.  It is amazing and you are missing out if you don't at least try it at the lowest cost.  My son is a pilot and has spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on XPlane in its various versions plus add-ons.  He came over after a few hours of playing around with it and said he may never start up XPlane again.

I have spent hours and hours helping him optimize XPlane's various versions on his rig (i7-9XXX and GFX 1660 ti custom desktop).  And even on Ultra, MSFS20 way out perfroms Xplane's recent Vulcan beta build in almost all sim locales.  Dropping down to High settings and there is no contest. 

The best part is they spent a lot of time and research on the UI.  Its simple, yet gets complex things done.  I wish wargaming companies could take some inspiration from it.

Yskonyn

It gets high praise all around it seems. New benchmark of flightsimming many even call it.
Aparently the developer also has a 10 year roadmap planned out to nuture and grow the sim or 'platform' as they call it.
It's looking good!
A friend of mine, who isn't normally into sims, even bought a yoke and is now using my old ch pedals. He seems to be a serious convert. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-gaming-hardware-doesnt-yet-exist-to-make-microsoft-flight-sim-really-shine/

From my time with a review copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator, and a gaming PC that matches the ideal specs, I can attest to this game's overwhelming system demands.

It's all right there in the gameplay: a resplendent and engrossing world, on an immense scale, which has been reproduced to the minute details.
And that's why Microsoft Flight Sim sits a cut above the rest. It's brutal, and it's got some launch day teething problems that are in immediate need of attention, but it's justified—Flight Sim is a videogame so unimaginable large and fully-realised, it's worthy of building an entire system around.

planetbrain

According to Steam, I've played this for 9 hrs. Actually all I've done so far is download and rough install (no fine tuning options).
What a monster game! What a huge amount of disk space! Certainly the biggest single download ever for me. Over 1Tb download, I think.
Mostly harmless

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: planetbrain on August 19, 2020, 04:51:36 AM
According to Steam, I've played this for 9 hrs. Actually all I've done so far is download and rough install (no fine tuning options).
What a monster game! What a huge amount of disk space! Certainly the biggest single download ever for me. Over 1Tb download, I think.

1TB for the core game?  That seems like a lot since when I downloaded it was only like 90GB (still bigger than most things).  Last year's call of duty still the largest for me where I think it was 150GB or so.

hellfish6

I hadn't been too interested in this (nothing goes boom) until Youtube threw some videos at me that looked interesting. Now, strangely, I'm thoroughly entranced by this entire world thing and am not put off in any way that the planes look goofy without camouflage. I watched a video of someone flying from one end of the Panama Canal to the other and it was stunningly beautiful. I haven't been able to travel all year and I'm feeling very closed off. I doubt MSFS will work well on my laptop, but I'm definitely interested. I'm even considering building a tower just for this (and DCS/SB), which is something I haven't had in almost ten years.

And now that I've browsed the back catalog of FSX addons, I can see that there will probably be many planes I've always been keen on (P-2 Neptune, PBM Mariner, S-2 Tracker, A-3D, etc.) that will likely become available. I've got no interest in Cessnas or Airbuses, but gimme a big old Navy plane and I can be happy.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 19, 2020, 05:35:05 AM

1TB for the core game?  That seems like a lot since when I downloaded it was only like 90GB (still bigger than most things).  Last year's call of duty still the largest for me where I think it was 150GB or so.

LoL...yeah, this is not a 1 TB download. It's less than 100 GB.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 19, 2020, 06:53:47 AM

The game downloads the scenery while you fly (the reason ideal specs mention Bandwidth : 50 Mbps).  Doesn't this data remain on your PC or is this downloaded again when you fly the same area the next day ?

If there is no need to download it again you could collect more than 1TB on your HD after you took a trip around the world.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 19, 2020, 07:41:42 AM

The game downloads the scenery while you fly (the reason ideal specs mention Bandwidth : 50 Mbps).  Doesn't this data remain on your PC or is this downloaded again when you fly the same area the next day ?

If there is no need to download it again you could collect more than 1TB on your HD after you took a trip around the world.

Maybe, don't know.  But the original post implied the initial core game download was 1 TB, not including add-ons, mods, scenery, etc.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 19, 2020, 07:41:42 AM

When I installed it said I needed approximately 147 GB of available HD space and the actual download was more like 93 GB. It doesn't make sense that you could need up to 1TB of HD space while in flight because of downloads while in game. If that is the case, a lot of people are going to have to drop out mid-flight to free up HD space.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog