The Shannara Chronicles

Started by MetalDog, October 10, 2015, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on November 08, 2015, 08:17:39 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 08, 2015, 08:13:00 PM
The only thing that redeems Martin's writing for me is he throws enough stuff at the wall that sticks, that the slow/boring/unnecessary parts are survivable.

I never made it far enough in to get to that point. I don't think I made it a hundred pages into the first novel before I'd had enough.

I didn't start enjoying the series until the latter part of the first book, and the next two just got better. 

Note:  I was referring to A Song Of Ice And Fire series (aka GoT), not Shannara which is long weepy drawn-out balls.

TacticalWargames

Really not keen either.

Quote from: MetalDog on October 10, 2015, 08:11:15 PM
Don't know if any of you fellas are/have been fans of Terry Brooks's "Shannara" books.  I won't bore you with my intense dislike for the books, but, knowing that I am most likely in the minority, I offer this for your inspection.

Coming in August 2016, after the MTV VMA's, the premier of "The Shannara Chronicles."

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/watch-mtv-shares-shannara-chronicles-trailer-nycc-175239986.html

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watched about 30 minutes of the two hour pilot.  I vaguely remember reading the novel when I was around 12 and, like others, thinking it was a pretty blatant rip off of Lord of the Rings. 

I don't know how much this TV series diverges from the books but I don't remember them being set in a post-apocalyptic Seattle.  The show is bad.  I mean really bad.  It's a bunch of angsty teen elves smirking at the camera and all but yelling "Hey Bro, grrrl power"!  Seems more like they tried to remake Hunger Games but with pointy ears.

MetalDog

I had almost the same experience.  I read the books when I was around 12 and immediately saw the LotR rip off.  Watched almost the whole two hours before falling asleep.  Told my daughter I didn't remember it being a post apocalyptic world.  The Rover chick that ripped off Wil fills out her leathers quite nicely though.  And Allanon (always thought that it was stupid to name a character that) played Azog the Defiler in the Hobbit.  Circle closed.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

besilarius

It would be awesome if they did a series on Terry pratchett's Discworld.
The first move, Hogfather, was great.  Then the second one, The Color of Magic, was better.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on January 17, 2016, 07:25:44 PM
The first move, Hogfather, was great.  Then the second one, The Color of Magic, was better.

Both of those are on my Netflix queue but I have yet to watch them. Sounds like I may need to move them up a few notches.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Quote from: besilarius on January 17, 2016, 07:25:44 PM

In that case, if you have not seen it, then 'Going Postal' is even better by far. The casting for it is superb, with Charles Dance as the Patrician.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

Will have to look that one up.  Thanks, Bawb.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.