Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

jamus34

Quote from: Barthheart on May 10, 2016, 01:59:20 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 10, 2016, 01:50:04 PM
Damn you people and your peer pressure.  :tickedoff:

More money on games I have little free time to play...maybe in the few days after Origins and before No Man's Sky.  O0

Look pretty good though...

Jump in... the water's warm and the beers are cold.  Ya know ya wanna... O0
And we have chlorine when Gus pees in the pool
Insert witty comment here.

Kushan

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2016, 10:48:11 AM
Quote from: Kushan on May 10, 2016, 10:29:09 AM
I'm in the process of writing up my initial impressions. So far I'm really loving the game. As for it it not being as complex CK2 or EUIV I think that maybe a little unfair. Sure I wish something where deeper like the  economy but if anything I feel like CK2 and EUIV have become bloated. Still fun to play, but it systems on top of systems that at times the AI has issues dealing with. To me, Stellaris feels a lot like EUIV at release and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Why is my opinion unfair? I was hoping for CKII complexity in a space 4x. Your opinion may differ and I respect that, but that doesn't mean my opinion is unfair or unreasonable...

Again, I like the game so far, its just not exactly what I was hoping for.

Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like you couldn't have your own opinion. Only meant to say that in my opinion its got about the same depth as both CK2 and EUIV when they where released.

Quote from: PanzersEast on May 10, 2016, 01:09:26 PM
My foreign policy.....

Game over man.... Game  Over

Still in my first game. Started in the middle of a spiral arm. I managed to block the factions to my galactic east from advancing any further up the chain. Getting the "epic" tech that let me see all the star lines in the galaxy, even though I use warp drive, early on was amazing. Took a few choke point systems and cut them off. Was slowly expanding out towards the end, thinking I had the whole arm to myself, when I ran into two empires who jumped the gap between the middle of the galaxy and the arm, thus cutting of my colonization that way. Tonight, one of the factions to my east is going to become Belgium with me as Imperial Germany, except without the British to come and save them. I left a little scout force of raiders in the west to play picket, while my 3rd fleet moved east.

Not sure about how to transport troops? Do they require dedicated ships or can they be transported on normal ships?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Greybriar

Quote from: Tuna on May 10, 2016, 07:13:27 AM
What bugs? Was only 29 bucks at CDKeys.. not sure if that's still the price.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2016, 07:20:03 AM
^exactly. What bugs? If you don't feel the urge to have the game now, that's fine, but don't claim it has bugs, is incomplete, or isn't a quality release to justify your decision. I see a lot of people buying a lot of crap, so it surprises me when people pass on a quality release.

Like tuna said, this isn't exactly an expensive game. You can get it easily for under $30.

All newly released PC games have bugs, just to greater or lesser degrees. Paradox has come a long way but their games still have bugs--like every other PC game company. And that's not the reason I'm giving Stellaris a pass.

$30 is only the beginning. Do you know how many DLCs Crusader Kings II has? 58 according to Steam. Europa Universalis IV has 41. Paradox really likes DLC.

But don't let me spoil your fun. Jump right in and be among the first to play Stellaris. I am happy that you are enjoying it so much. It will be mostly because of yours and many others' sharing positive experiences that will eventually cause me to buy the game. So lighten up--I'm not being overly critical. I am just telling you how I feel about purchasing PC games in general and Paradox games in particular.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

So...how many of you are playing in ironman mode, and how many of you are little girls? :P

jamus34

Hey, I'm the one that wanted to get a multiplayer match right out of the gate but no one responded.
Insert witty comment here.

Yskonyn

I don't want Ironman in my galaxy anywhere. I've already got enough 'Things' to worry about without needing any more mutants to rain on my parade.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Anguille

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 10, 2016, 02:54:55 PM
So...how many of you are playing in ironman mode, and how many of you are little girls? :P
Like Yskonyn, i don't have the time for that....

I don't like the fact that achievements are only limited to iron man mode.

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 10, 2016, 09:32:18 AM
Re: useless planets etc.  There are plenty of resources besides the basic ones that you don't see until you've researched the tech.  They probably aren't as useless as you think.

That's one of the parts which reminded me of Endless Space.  I liked the tech-hidden Strategic Resource mechanic & am happy to see something very similar here.  Although it's not nearly as quick to get use out of them since the research choices are jumbled and, from what I can tell, more than one research project can utilize those special resources.

Ian C

I persuaded my better half to purchase it from cdkeys.

Applying what DLC did for CK II, I think this has the potential to be *amazing*, and I think this may be Paradoxes #1 supported Cash Cow, so I guess we'll see a lot more goodies coming out in DLC.

Nefaro

Quote from: Anguille on May 10, 2016, 03:17:26 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 10, 2016, 02:54:55 PM
Like Yskonyn, i don't have the time for that....

I don't like the fact that achievements are only limited to iron man mode.

I only played the first game to learn the basics w/ tutorial going.

Started a second campaign in Iron Man.  Curious about what achievements I unlock by happenstance.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Kushan on May 10, 2016, 02:37:50 PM

Not sure about how to transport troops? Do they require dedicated ships or can they be transported on normal ships?

Build an assault army, then click on them and you'll get an option to load them onto transports.  The transports are organic to the army so you don't have to build any extra units.

I found the Sol system and surveyed it.  Earth had regressed into an agrarian feudal society.  I set up an observation post and gathered some research points.  Then I got board and invaded the throwbacks.  No I have to deal with earth separatist types.

Jarhead0331

During the tutorial, I discovered a planet with an industrialized, but pre-warp race. The tutorial wants me to build an observation post in orbit around the planet, but when I try to do this with a construction ship, I'm told I cannot because it is outside of my controlled space. What am I doing wrong?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ghostryder

Though not as complex as CKII the A.I. here seems to be very good. Especially fighting a war. I love the fact the A.I. can clean my clock-although when the fight started I had the higher might number--but I screwed up in other areas and the A.I. just took advantage of it. One must pay attention to where they are to retreat--which I did not---and was run down like a dog. In fact I do not ever remember a Paradox game with such good A.I.---a very pleasant surprise---as i was expecting the MP angle to be the main draw here--but as it turns out-even on normal you can lose.  :uglystupid2:

I'm going to create a new race with different traits for my next game---following some online advice about the picks and see how I do. There's a guide on steam that seems good-if the writer knows what he's actually talking about. You can find it under guides on steam.