Boeing whistleblower found dead

Started by al_infierno, March 12, 2024, 08:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Official cause of death is suicide, but it's highly suspicious that this would happen while he's in the middle of giving a sworn statement against Boeing for gross safety violations.  Somehow I get the sense that a local "waste management consultant" was involved...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Redwolf

W8taminute

Quote"It established that the location of at least 53 "non-conforming" parts in the factory was unknown, and that they were considered lost. Boeing was ordered to take remedial action."

As a Quality Manager myself this hits me hard.

AS9100, the international manufacturing standard for aviation, space, and defense, clearly states that non-conforming material must be segregated and locked up in clearly defined storage.  (i.e. a cabinet, locker, or other type of storage unit)

For Boeing to state that the whereabouts of non-conforming material is unknown is a gross failure of their Quality Management System (QMS).  Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrop are all customers of the company I work for and all are super strict on use when it comes to testing, inspecting, and packaging product for delivery to them. 

I'm pretty sure they bumped this guy off.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Now might be a good time to buy Boeing stock... :evil:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Uberhaus

It's not impossible for John Barnett to have been murdered, but a whistleblower's life is very difficult.  Suicide is sadly possible. 

The BBC article was a real shocker.  After reading it, I took back my previous eyerolling over skipping a click-baity article on passengers refusing to fly on 737 Maxs.

Uberhaus

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2024, 08:42:40 AMNow might be a good time to buy Boeing stock... :evil:
Are you sure we shouldn't maybe wait a few days?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Uberhaus on March 13, 2024, 08:46:28 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2024, 08:42:40 AMNow might be a good time to buy Boeing stock... :evil:
Are you sure we shouldn't maybe wait a few days?

You have to strike while the iron is hot. My BAE Systems shares are soaring and my RTX is doing quite well, too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 13, 2024, 10:00:38 AMthen why complain about the MIC?

Complaining about the influence it has in guiding or even dictating national policy while lawfully profiting by purchasing interests through shares of stock in individual corporations is not mutually exclusive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

I don't thing they have hit rock bottom yet. There will be more dirt coming.

Plus the 787 incident in NZ which I expect to be based on a rather fundamental flaw.

Uberhaus

Quote from: Redwolf on March 13, 2024, 02:05:59 PMI don't thing they have hit rock bottom yet. There will be more dirt coming.

Plus the 787 incident in NZ which I expect to be based on a rather fundamental flaw.

Especially, if it's a code problem like the Boeing crash in Ethiopia.  I initially thought oh, turbulence, planes can get buffeted up and down hundreds of feet in seconds, but the pilot reported complete loss of instrumentation for several seconds.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: al_infierno on March 12, 2024, 08:54:14 PMOfficial cause of death is suicide, but it's highly suspicious that this would happen while he's in the middle of giving a sworn statement against Boeing for gross safety violations.  Somehow I get the sense that a local "waste management consultant" was involved...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

I tend to think suicide.

Even if someone was evil enough to contemplate 'silencing' him...to what end? The damage is done. At this point, even if they were evil enough to contemplate it, I think a very large corporation would not risk their already declining reputation on such a seemingly obvious move. However, independent actors like investors, or other interested parties...maybe...maybe... But the damage is already done...so I struggle with what do they gain.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.