Been working on Grav Armor Module for Vassal

Started by Pinetree, September 08, 2012, 04:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

Just thought I'd share on something I've been working on for about 3 years now, it's faced delays by having 3 children and also a PC dying on me.

I once had an old issue of Space Gamer that  had a couple of scenarios for a game called Grav Armor, it looked like an interesting game but I didn't have the internet back then so I couldn't find out anything more about it. About 8 years ago, Grav Armor was made freeware and I downloaded it. It's a pretty cool game, someone called it Panzerblitz of the future, with some nifty mechanics. Each scenario has a unique terrain chart that makes them feel like different games due to visibility and/or adverse terrain. One scenario takes a place on a volcanic planet where infantry can die if they stop in lava fields, for example.

There's been 2 Vassal modules for it so far but none have taken advantage of Vassal's power and the graphics used have been pretty average. It doesn't help that the scans available for the maps aren't square so the maps have looked off. I decided to try and make the best module for the game there is, and in all modesty, I think I've succeeded. I'm really happy with the counter graphics and I managed to square up the maps nicely, as well as getting rid of the really thick hex-grid. All that needs done now is the user guide for the module and the scenarios set-up and also converted into HTML. It's taking a while but there's no deadline and the hard stuff is over so I'm taking my time doing it and trying to get it right.

Some of the things I did were:

- Re-worked counters and maps.
- Automated casualty and exited units tracker.
- Fire-support tab for ortillery (orbital artillery)and forts' weaponry.
- Setup boards for starting units, reinforcements, and units in orbit.
- Editable terrain chart for creating new scenarios.
- Grav Armor rules in HTML format with new images taken from the module.
- Scenario setups for most available scenarios.

Here's some screenshots:

Imperial forces defend the city of Ekud in Relief of the 42nd:

Setup boards and fire support tab:

Terrain chart from Death from Above:

Destroyed and Exited units tracker:

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Staggerwing

Nice! Is the module available at the VASSAL site?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pinetree

Not yet, still got the help files and scenarios to go. I'm really just posting these as self-motivation, now that I've shown what I've done so far, it gives me impetus to finish the bloody thing.  ;D Hopefully have it finished by the end of the month, kids and work permitting..

bayonetbrant

very very cool.  I used to LOVE that game but haven't played it in 20 years or so.  I tacked it down based on a review in a Dragon magazine and played the hell out of it for about 6 months, but it disappeared in one of our moves in Germany (I think someone borrowed it from me and I didn't notice I didn't have it back 'til we moved and I was unpacking).

This might finally be the motivation I need to get VASSAL working on the Mac.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Very cool indeed! Thanks for positing the screenshots.

Brant, Vassal is pretty straightforward to set up on Mac. I don't recall any troubles when I installed it. Admittedly, I've only used it with a couple of modules.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

TriNGuy

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Pinetree

Quote from: TriNGuy on August 31, 2013, 09:10:33 PM
Have you finished this module?

no, sorry. It had to go on the backburner with a new job an other things (Damn RL!) I'm really not sure when I'll get round to finishing it. I really want to get it out there though, a lot hours have gone into it.