D-Day Dice & Agricola

Started by Keunert, January 24, 2013, 08:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keunert

D-Day Dice: i stumbled upon this in our local board game store. does anybody here have experience with this? do you recommen it?
and has anybody tried the eurogame title Agricola? it has been a rather big hit and i wonder if i should get it?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Keunert on January 24, 2013, 08:04:24 AM
D-Day Dice: i stumbled upon this in our local board game store. does anybody here have experience with this? do you recommen it?
and has anybody tried the eurogame title Agricola? it has been a rather big hit and i wonder if i should get it?

I've heard good things about D-Day Dice but have not played it myself.

The wife and I got Agricola after see how popular it was on BGG but after playing it a couple of times I didn't think it was that great.  Perhaps I went in expecting to much because I came away a little disappointed.  There is also the possibility I just didn't 'get' the game as I felt there were to many options and not enough time to work a strategy while playing.  Just my 2cents.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Never heard of D-Day Dice.

I have played Agricola once.

It is a quintessential eurogame. Eurogames are designed to keep everyone in the game until the end, as opposed to something like Axis and Allies where one player can be knocked out an hour before the next. Eurogames are meant to be inclusive and are good for folks who aren't strongly competitive. Also relevant is the fact that eurogames value this inclusiveness over accuracy. So don't expect a eurogame's gameplay to reflect a medieval city building sim. Eurogames will sacrifice a fair amount of realism in order to ensure that nobody gets knocked out of the game until a winner emerges.

If that's the kind of game you want to play I would say Agricola is a winner.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on January 24, 2013, 11:20:20 AMand are good for folks who aren't strongly competitive

and yet the GAMA research we did back in '05-'06 came back that Eurogamers are the most competitive (playing to win) of all the major categories we had, especially when compared to minis/board wargamers
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 24, 2013, 11:54:34 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 24, 2013, 11:20:20 AMand are good for folks who aren't strongly competitive

and yet the GAMA research we did back in '05-'06 came back that Eurogamers are the most competitive (playing to win) of all the major categories we had, especially when compared to minis/board wargamers

OK, I stand corrected. It's for the passive-aggressive gamers.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Keunert on January 24, 2013, 08:04:24 AM

D-Day Dice was okay for 4 or 5 games, then I got rid of it. There just isn't that much meat on the bones and it becomes very same-y very quickly.

Agricola is actually kind of fun, and I'm not a massive Euro gamer. It's actually fairly cutthroat as there aren't a lot of resources and everyone wants them.

Rekim

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 24, 2013, 11:54:34 AM

I'll second that. My Euro playing friends are typically WAY more competitive than my wargaming buddies.

Keunert

thank you guys. i bought Agricola. my friends and i play only eurogames and they are usually very dramatic. most notable is a soccer manager and betting game that plays with a lot of national clichés and almost every time ends with some good drama.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

spelk

D-Day Dice is due to drop on the iOS platform soon-ish, and I've been waiting for it. It was actually released for a brief window a week or two ago, but was very quickly pulled.

Cyrano

I couldn't resist the big-buy syndrome at GenCon last year and bought the whole kit that came in a messenger bag.

The game is only OK solo, but it plays well in a group.  There are good decisions to be made and some of the later boards are rather nasty.  It's definitely a Euro Wargame, though, so any relationship to the actual Normandy landings is purely accidental.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ABD

It is a purely tacked on theme for sure, almost like they went with it 'cause it sounded "cool"