Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Martok meant Rome I when referring to the sequel, I think. But I do think Shogun 2 is the best of the series, because it is :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2013, 01:41:21 PM
Martok meant Rome I when referring to the sequel, I think. But I do think Shogun 2 is the best of the series, because it is :)

Boooooo.... Seriously though it is definitely the best looking most polished and bug free with the best AI without a doubt so yes in that matter is the best.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

With all that going for it, plus some great gameplay and imagination, you should reconsider your Japanese history stance.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on December 12, 2013, 01:38:22 PM
I didn't watch the video because I enjoy the game. I don't care what angry Joe or this guy have to say. Now if I didn't own the game and I was curious about it, I would certainly watch it but I've seen the same complaints over and over again and I just don't experience them. Sorry I just haven't had super bad or crazy AI. I haven't had bad performance or crashes. I haven't had all of these issues that all these other people seem to have that made room to the most horrible game in the universe I had fun day one.

I think this version's AI is the best yet.

Clever? Not exactly. But think about it for a moment. You're 20 turns into the game and are starting to threaten all your neighbors because you're obviously both expansionist and war-like. Do you really want an AI that will scheme to form multiple alliances come in and crush you and force the game to be done?

Personally I like expanding. The game has some checks on too much expansion. There are internal politics which need to be watched. There are checks on growth - at some point you're almost certain to face civil war due to size and aforementioned internal politics.

So, if you don't like the Total War games, this is an improved but not radically different change - don't buy it. If you do like the Total War games, this is arguably the best yet, though opinions may differ.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Definitely. Except Shogun 2 was the best :)

Maybe my mind will change with some more hours poured into Rome 2.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2013, 06:56:33 PM

I think Rome 2 is the best. AI is just as good as Shogun and I enjoy the era. I also like the province system and the naval warfare.

Sorry Gus, I'm all Europe. If it ain't European history, i ain't interested.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

But...but...samurai!! Ronin!!! NINJA!!!! And geishas.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I'm with Mikeck on this one. 

renobe

I don't mean to troll , but I noticed that this game has very poor ratings on some retail internet sites. Among them, Amazon. A lot of people do not believe this game lives up to previus RTW games.

MengJiao

Quote from: renobe on December 12, 2013, 10:27:50 PM
I don't mean to troll , but I noticed that this game has very poor ratings on some retail internet sites. Among them, Amazon. A lot of people do not believe this game lives up to previus RTW games.

Its a internet syndrome.  It has nothing to do with the game.  The game just has a lot more going on (that for some reason people don't notice -- possibly for neurological reasons related to the uncanny valley phenonenon) than most games or even earlier TW games.

Also, I think there was only one earlier RTW game.  The game itself is too fantastic to be as easily perceived as most games.  You get a huge chunk of the world in a convincing version of 272 BC and a lot is going on.

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on December 12, 2013, 06:59:15 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2013, 06:56:33 PM

I think Rome 2 is the best. AI is just as good as Shogun and I enjoy the era. I also like the province system and the naval warfare.

Sorry Gus, I'm all Europe. If it ain't European history, i ain't interested.

Which is "best" is debatable, but beyond debate is the fact that Rome II is an excellent game. If you don't like the Total War series it may not do much for you. If you have played past versions of the game and enjoyed it, then there is no reason to be afraid of whatever bad press there may be out there.

And at ~$25 it's a bargain. Nay, a must-buy.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

Martok meant Rome I when referring to the sequel, I think.
Correct.  Thanks Gus.  (And my apologies to bboyer; I should've been more clear.)  :) 

But I do think Shogun 2 is the best of the series, because it is :)
That's debatable, of course -- I suspect the original STW will always be the "best" in the series from my own perspective -- but there's no doubt it's indeed a very good game. 

I would even go so far as to say Shogun 2 is the best Total War title since the first Medieval...except that I think Rome II may have actually surpassed it.  It feels a little weird to say that, but I genuinely think it may be true. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^What?! Please explain that...you went from a non-believer to a total convert!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Must be a successful agent manipulation. ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

tgb

You guys are making me want to go back to this.  Too many games, too little time.