Started by TheCommandTent, April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 06:42:18 PM
Quote from: jomni on May 15, 2014, 06:40:46 PM
Operation Desert Storm!

You evil bastard!

Now I'm gonna have to screw with the Mod Soup again soon.  >:D

I see that you don't have the Terrain LOD fix either.   :(  If I ever get it edited or find someone with the file, I'll let you know.

Yeah let me know.  This is a fresh install in a new machine.  So I haven't tweaked it that much.  Just loaded up ODS for a start.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 06:20:23 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 15, 2014, 04:26:19 PM

Is the matchmaking better than WoT?  The reason that I lost interest in WoT is because once I reached Tier IV finding a fair game was incredibly difficult.  75% of the time, my Tier IV tanks would be placed in matches with maybe one other Tier IV tank, two Tier Vs, with the rest being Tier VI-VIII!  It was getting really intolerable as my puny tank had zero chance of even scratching the paint on such high level tanks.   >:(

I've only played the first two of five tiers so I'm not sure how well the higher ones are.  Seems to be matched up pretty well thus far.  There are no numerous gun upgrades per model so you aren't constantly bouncing shots until you grind through a bunch of xp upgrades.  Each model is armed historically and your upgrades are just to "new" models that perform slightly better than the old "worn out" ones you start with.   Same as the air forces setup, along with the 'Battle Rating' which is how the matchmaker rates what you're driving (instead of Tiers).  The only extra unlocks that open up completely new stuff are the two early ones (Spare parts & Fire extinguishers) and the Artillery strike ability.

Ah, thanks for getting back to me on this.  I am about to jump in for the first time so I am curious what to expect.   
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

FlickJax

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 15, 2014, 07:24:52 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 06:20:23 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 15, 2014, 04:26:19 PM

Is the matchmaking better than WoT?  The reason that I lost interest in WoT is because once I reached Tier IV finding a fair game was incredibly difficult.  75% of the time, my Tier IV tanks would be placed in matches with maybe one other Tier IV tank, two Tier Vs, with the rest being Tier VI-VIII!  It was getting really intolerable as my puny tank had zero chance of even scratching the paint on such high level tanks.   >:(

I've only played the first two of five tiers so I'm not sure how well the higher ones are.  Seems to be matched up pretty well thus far.  There are no numerous gun upgrades per model so you aren't constantly bouncing shots until you grind through a bunch of xp upgrades.  Each model is armed historically and your upgrades are just to "new" models that perform slightly better than the old "worn out" ones you start with.   Same as the air forces setup, along with the 'Battle Rating' which is how the matchmaker rates what you're driving (instead of Tiers).  The only extra unlocks that open up completely new stuff are the two early ones (Spare parts & Fire extinguishers) and the Artillery strike ability.

Ah, thanks for getting back to me on this.  I am about to jump in for the first time so I am curious what to expect.

Tier IV will only get Tier 8 if arty or scout (Light Tank)  normally max is 2 tiers above. I find Tier V and 7 are my favourites. (WoT)

Nefaro

Quote from: FlickJax on May 16, 2014, 02:32:31 AM

Tier IV will only get Tier 8 if arty or scout (Light Tank)  normally max is 2 tiers above. I find Tier V and 7 are my favourites. (WoT)

Even two tiers difference is often a big leap in WoT.   Especially if you don't have all your equipment unlocked.

FlickJax

Quote from: Nefaro on May 16, 2014, 06:37:28 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on May 16, 2014, 02:32:31 AM

Even two tiers difference is often a big leap in WoT.   Especially if you don't have all your equipment unlocked.

it can be but there are always ways to pick up xp, anyway im probably too much of a fanboy to comment.

Jarhead0331

^Outstanding shots, Jomni.

After years of playing Kerbal, I finally landed on the Mun...in one piece...unfortunately, I forgot to load enough oxygen on the ship and all three souls on board perished. Its a Pyrrhic victory to be sure. So bitter sweet.

Oxygen Count? 0.0000.

Safely on the darkside of the mun.

To boldly go where no living Kerbal has gone before.

The bodies of the brave crew shall be recovered. Here, this lander shall stay, an everlasting monument to the glory and bravery of the Kerbal Space Program.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Getting my BMS on with new Hi-Res textures...

Cleared for take-off

Rolling

Burn me, baby

This old girl still has some life in her yet

Check six

Hi-Res ground textures
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

jomni

Toonces

Make sure you check out the Israel theater if you haven't already.  It's very nice.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RooksBailey

It was a dark and stormy night.... :)

This is from a QB in CMBN.  I was playing on a small map, one with a small village at one end, and an open field in front of it.  The AI gave me three squads of airborne infantry, an AT gun, and about six bazooka teams.  Taking advantage of the housing and some stonework, I created what I thought was a solid defensive line.  In fact, I thought to myself that whoever was going to come up that field was going to me a firing squad of AT weapons and infantry fire.  I was smugly confident. 

Then the enemy came.  First, a Panther tank.  Okay, I thought, I can handle one.  Then a second appeared.  And a third.  And a fourth.  And a fifth!  Then a Sdkfz.  And, for some strange reason, a MG team on foot.  LOL!   Well, long short, my "firing squad" suddenly met a firing squad coming up the field.  In retrospect, I should have immediately told all my AT teams to hold fire until point blank range...but I didn't.  The AT teams opened up en masse and accomplished nothing.  The Panthers returned fire...and basically devastated my men, shattering squads, and wiping out over half the bazooka teams, and destroying the AT gun (which managed two ricochets before being destroyed).  It was a disaster. 

My devastated men fled into the rain-soaked night...which is where the battle turned for us.  Because the AI had no infantry support, once they occupied the village, they were at the mercy of my smashed squads who slowly crept back into town for some revenge.  Using their satchel charges, these brave paras brought down the tanks one by one.

The above was one of the first counter-attacks.  A smashed squad of airborne troops managed to crawl close enough to disable the Panther, but the crew bailed out (I think 4 of the 5 got out), and a nasty close quarters battle broke out.  You can see the bodies of my infantry mingled with the tank crew.  Good thing I had a MG team in the nearby house to help hose down the tank crew.  The crew fought surprisingly well.

Further to the west, the Sdkfz was attempting to slip between two houses when it almost ran over one of my surviving bazooka teams belly crawling forward to target a Panther.  Instead, they fired their bazooker into the belly of the armored transport.  The shell must have exploded inside the crew compartment because no survivors got out.  Here, a lone infantryman hides in the shadows, guarding the road, while the Sdkfz burns in the near distance.

This shot is just to west of the burning Sdkfz - you can see the warm glow of the fire.  :)  Again, took out another Panther with satchel charges.  Infantrymen in the area took no prisoners when this crew abandoned their tank.  I would like to say that infantryman is checking for survivors, but I think he is souvenir hunting.   ;)

The last two Panther tanks.  You can see the deep depression the satchel charge made after it went off.

The last Panther to get what was coming to it.  For this one, my last surviving bazooka team got a shot into the rear, setting it ablaze.  Only two crewman got out.  My battered troops in the area had fun attempting to shoot them down like wild turkeys.  One did escape into the night, but not this tanker who had the misfortune of getting in the crosshairs of this marksman (managed to get a shot of the tracer round right before it hit him).  Payback is a....

The US airborne held the town, but suffered over 60% KIA.   :'(
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

jomni

panzerde

Great shots, Rooks! Looks like a real nail biter.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Kushan

Finally made it to orbit in Kerbal this morning.

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play