Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Another question...

How do I increase storage? I seem to be able to (and have done) for Minerals, but I'm at a cap of 3500 for energy so all surplus energy now is being wasted, but I can't see anything to store energy. I think the Mineral storage increase thing was a building on the surface of a planet...so a building I built

** obviously it goes without saying I'll be back with the answer shortly  :2funny: **
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

As far as I understand Storage caps are only increased with research, not specific buildings.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 14, 2016, 01:22:20 AM
As far as I understand Storage caps are only increased with research, not specific buildings.
Maybe the buildings become available by research? I can definitely build a Mineral Silo on the surface of my planets
Alba gu' brath

GeneralHawk

Welp, after 13 hours I have decided to uninstall it and put it away until perhaps a future date when bugs as well as features are better developed.   I love much of the presentation, the lore/stories, music...but unfortunately the combat system is horrid and the second and third order effects of a reality where all that matters is fleet size number kills it for me...makes everything else seem pointless...

Honestly after 13 hours of it I don't see how this is any better than Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion.   Now I know that ppl rag on Sins for not being " a true 4x"  but that game, its combat systems and beautiful gameplay as well as AI holds up for me.  Not to mention the great mods (Battlestar Galactica and Start Trek total conversions just to name two) give Sins more than this has to offer.   

Very disappointed in Stellaris.   First few hours when you are just exploring are the best...steep drop off after that...
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

ghostryder

Given the combat system this is not the type of game designed for a conquest victory--although it's present I see no fun to be had going that route--and with Diplomacy so shallow and zero in the way of spies and intrigue---ways enjoyed in other Paradox titles--it boggles the mind they are not here to offer up different ways to progress and win. :idiot2:

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2016, 01:42:28 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on May 14, 2016, 01:22:20 AM
Maybe the buildings become available by research? I can definitely build a Mineral Silo on the surface of my planets

Yep, that's exactly right JD. :)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 10:14:23 PM
Also, on research.  I've seen a research option that will give you 4 research projects to choose from.  I've also destroyed some crystal monsters.  When you destroy them, you can use a science ship to exam the remains.  This usually gives research points to other tech.  These techs are listed as available research in addition to the 3 standard ones. 

Yeah, and these techs will have a gold outline in the research screen, indicating that they are always available as an additional option.

By the way that was a great post about sectors, very well made!

tgb

One of my science vessels discovered a feudal society on the third planet in the Sol system.  It's just outside my borders, so I can't build an observation platform just yet, but I'm sure the little meat-bags are up to no good.  I haven't yet decided what to do with them.

jomni

Quote from: tgb on May 14, 2016, 04:18:39 AM
One of my science vessels discovered a feudal society on the third planet in the Sol system.  It's just outside my borders, so I can't build an observation platform just yet, but I'm sure the little meat-bags are up to no good.  I haven't yet decided what to do with them.

You might have just stumbled upon the Crusader Kings world (Easter Egg?).

Tuna

What is the meaning of the pulsing orange hexagon around some of my stars?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Tuna on May 14, 2016, 07:01:21 AM
What is the meaning of the pulsing orange hexagon around some of my stars?
That is a mission that's in your situation log. Some missions have the ability to "Track on Map". Turning that option off turns off the pulsing yellow hexagons
Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on May 13, 2016, 10:30:16 PM
OJ, how many planets do you have in total? I ask because I'm curious why you have so many 1 and 2 planet sectors?

I have 7 total colonized planets. I have only one sector with my 2 newest planets in it and the my original 5 planets held outside of any sector.

And JH, I'm not sure what you mean but you can't intervene in sector production? I can got to a sector planet and order it to build ships, upgrade it's base. Have it build a constructor then order the constructor around to set up mines and research stations within the sector..... Do you mean individual planet squares? Haven't tried to screw with those yet but will give it a try.

Barth, I have 12 planets total.

Now that I've slept on it, I'm going to consolidate my sectors.  This is because the only useful function that sectors have at this time is the management of planet tiles.  I'm more than happy to allow the AI take control of the tile development.  I know for some it's borderline game breaker as they want to micromanage their planets.  When I built my sectors, I didn't realize that they were going to do anything to develop the non-colonized systems.

With that in mind, there are three things I'd like to see to make sectors very useful;

1.  Each sector should create it's own Builder ship to develop the non-colonized systems, build defense platforms, if so ordered, and any other functions that a Builder ship would do.  But it stays within the sector.

2.  Each sector capital should build a spaceport.  Right now, you can go to the planets and build a spaceport, but I would think that having the sector capital build itself a spaceport would be a no brainer.

3.  Colonize planets within the sector.  I haven't got the tech to colonize other planet types yet, but I'm guessing there is no way to have a sector colonize available planets within it's border. 

With points 1 and 3 above, with these functions missing, there are no reasons to include non-colonized systems into a sector, except to connect colonized planets together into a sector. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 14, 2016, 03:05:13 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 10:14:23 PM
Also, on research.  I've seen a research option that will give you 4 research projects to choose from.  I've also destroyed some crystal monsters.  When you destroy them, you can use a science ship to exam the remains.  This usually gives research points to other tech.  These techs are listed as available research in addition to the 3 standard ones. 

Yeah, and these techs will have a gold outline in the research screen, indicating that they are always available as an additional option.

By the way that was a great post about sectors, very well made!

Thanks Huw.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 14, 2016, 12:09:56 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 13, 2016, 06:40:42 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 13, 2016, 05:03:13 PM
but you only get 3 research options, so it's not like I can choose what I need

You can choose between those three! ;)

QuoteCurrently, unless I've missed the obvious, you only get shown your 3 options.

True, you "only" get three options, out of three separate branches, remember.  Every option is always desirable, though, and since it seems to be randomised you can't really claim that you're missing out on anything.

If anything, it's a lot more interesting than the tech trees of games like Civ, where you'll follow the same basic pattern in every game.  Personally I find Stellaris's approach to be much more interesting.
Maybe - but imo it removes "control" from you. You're selecting from a path given to you by the game and, worse, you have no idea what route that is taking you. And as for following a basic pattern every game, that's just simply not the case (at least for me). I would never know or remember what path I followed, game to game. So there is no pre-determined path. You are probably more likely to follow a pre-determined path here...but it isn't your pre-determined path...it's the developers.

As an example, I want to upgrade my Spaceport to the second level, but hovering over it I'm informed I am "Missing Technology:Improved Spaceport". Now, it does not tell me what type of technology that comes under, and it doesn't tell me where abouts it is or will become available or indeed any pre-requisites. I'm just left thinking "I need the New Spaceport technology to build that"...that's it.

Another example is I hover over a planet and I want to Terraform it (whatever that does...I genuinely to not know - perhaps it removes the tiles you can't build on without you having to clear them individually??) and I'm told I need "Terrestrial Sculpting". Again, I have no idea where that is in the "chain" of technologies I can get to and no indication (visual or otherwise) of when I will get there. I just know it's under the Society Technology.

A lot of people might be ok with plodding along and selecting one of 3 options in each of the 3 research categories, but I am of the mind that if you are just clicking on options presented to you with no idea of what's ahead or what's important or how to get to those wanted technologies, then I'm not actually really in control of research...I'm just taking what they give me and making a very basic choice.

It's a minor issue, honestly. I don't have a huge problem with the way it's implemented. I would just like to see where I'm heading and that the thing I need to research is on it's way somewhere

QUESTION
I put that in bold so it didn't get lost in my little issue with research

How do I find out what I have already researched?

EDIT
Forget my question....sorry, there's a BIG RESEARCHED button when viewing your current research to show you what you have previously researched and you can click on each category to see what's already been researched

JD, now that you've explained it in more detail, I agree with you.  It's not the limit of three random techs, it's not knowing which options, if any, you should pick to reach a goal.   

jamus34

Yeah unless you are well versed in the game or a developer the research trees seem to be somewhat scattershot. More research options will probably help.
It's not a perfect system but I like it better than the truly linear systems as once you decide your empire path your research is also pretty much set.
Again there are systems across two or three games that I like but need to be tweaked.
For Stellaris maybe when you hover over a given possible research tech it will tell you theoretical techs it will lead to.
*shrug* Stellaris has its faults but at this point in think the research and tech system is on the lower end of current issues
Insert witty comment here.