Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Planned release date on Steam, Jan 31st! -- did I know that already?! I KEEP CLICKING THE SCREEN WHERE I WANT A PRE-ORDER BUTTON TO EXIST AND NOTHING HAPPENS!!  :Dreamer:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SlagDog

I watched Dastactic last night go through all of the tutorial stuff. I immediately put this on my number one spot in my wish list. I'm really digging the way this is playing. I really like the mechanics. Das does a great job at explaining how it works. I was on the fence prior to last night because of the graphics choice. But I can easily look past that since the gameplay looks so solid. I really love games that I can use strategy and tactics with squads and this looks like it has it. Really great work! I also love the garage screen with all of the comparison mechanics that can be viewed. That's a really cool feature! Day one purchase for me!

SirAndrewD

I feel like Cartman in the South Park Wii episode.

Can I just freeze myself till release?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

acctingman

I stopped buying games day 1 of release, but this one is tempting. I've read that they are going to have expansions/dlcs of other nations/fronts, so the depth of this game could be immense.

Thomas Davie

Just found out an issue (item?) about the game that concerns me. Regarding the tutorials. It is my understanding that a person would be required to play some (1, 2? I've got no idea of the number) before progressing to other scenarios.

It makes sense if you follow the concept of programmed instruction as found in say the Squad Leader board games. Learning to walk before running is sometimes a good idea.

However, this is something I am absolutely opposed to. It is, in fact, a deal breaker for me. Being forced to start playing the game in a certain manner - just not my cup of tea.

I hope this is reconsidered, made optional, whatever you want to call it.

Regards

Tom

Jarhead0331

^This is not entirely true. All tutorials are unlocked. There are about 10 of them for infantry and 5 or so for vehicles and tanks. You can complete them in any order.

The campaigns, however, appear to be locked until certain single mission scenarios are completed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

devoncop

I can see why they do this tbh.

How many folk jump onto a game to review bomb it in the first half hour as a result of not understanding the first thing about the mechanics because they feel they are " above" doing a tutorial.

It's an unusual approach I grant you but I totally understand the reasoning.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Thomas Davie

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2023, 01:37:07 PM^This is not entirely true. All tutorials are unlocked. There are about 10 of them for infantry and 5 or so for vehicles and tanks. You can complete them in any order.

The campaigns, however, appear to be locked until certain single mission scenarios are completed.

I'm not exactly sure b/c I'm not in on the beta testing. I will rephrase. Being forced to play certain aspects of the game (whatever they be) before being allowed to play other aspects of the game (again, whatever they be) is not good (for me).

Campaigns not being allowable w/o first having played (completed?) certain single scenarios - this is specifically what I do not like.

Be that as it may I am going to wait for early reviews and clarifications/specificity.

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Jarhead0331

Here is a screenshot of the campaign interface showing what is required to unlock any given campaign.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Could this be only in the beta version ?  Maybe it won't be in the release version.

Thomas Davie

@Jarhead0331Thank you for the information. That is not what I was hoping for, but c'est la vie.

Tom

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Thomas Davie on January 20, 2023, 01:26:04 PMHowever, this is something I am absolutely opposed to. It is, in fact, a deal breaker for me. Being forced to start playing the game in a certain manner - just not my cup of tea.

A deal breaker? OK. But it seems like a relatively minor issue from my side of the battle table. Still everyone is different.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

undercovergeek

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 20, 2023, 08:04:16 PM
Quote from: Thomas Davie on January 20, 2023, 01:26:04 PMHowever, this is something I am absolutely opposed to. It is, in fact, a deal breaker for me. Being forced to start playing the game in a certain manner - just not my cup of tea.

A deal breaker? OK. But it seems like a relatively minor issue from my side of the battle table. Still everyone is different.

Seems to make perfect sense to me - as previously mentioned there's too much waaaaaaah my units won't do this in steam reviews that can crush a small games sales chances - whereas here's a bit of handholding to make sure you understand your forces before going off into campaignland

Thomas Davie

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 20, 2023, 08:04:16 PM

This by itself is not a deal breaker. Lack of player .vs. player and randomly generated maps/scenarios/campaigns.

From what I gather this game will be well supported as well as expansions/DLC's forthcoming, so I'll follow the game.

Tom