Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Haven't pulled the trigger yet because of the annoying locked scenario function.  But looking at the Steam workshop there are already quite a few popular classic Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader scenarios available for download.

WYBaugh

Just read this is r/computerwargaming

https://www.reddit.com/r/computerwargames/comments/10rrgcp/second_front_banned_for_trolling/

Not sure the veracity concerning this but thought it was interesting.

devoncop

Quote from: WYBaugh on February 02, 2023, 03:23:55 PMJust read this is r/computerwargaming

https://www.reddit.com/r/computerwargames/comments/10rrgcp/second_front_banned_for_trolling/

I was still wavering on this one but I think this issue has finally persuaded me to keep away.

Best of luck to those who are enjoying it though !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

acctingman

I'm glad some people are enjoying this game, but for me, I'm reading too many things that are keeping me away. Appreciate all the folks here who are playing commenting about their likes/dislikes.

Geezer

Quote from: WYBaugh on February 02, 2023, 03:23:55 PMJust read this is r/computerwargaming

That's the same guy I mentioned above who did one test and claimed the game was rigged for the AI.  It might be but one test doesn't prove anything.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

WYBaugh

Quote from: Geezer on February 02, 2023, 04:00:31 PM

That's the same guy I mentioned above who did one test and claimed the game was rigged for the AI.  It might be but one test doesn't prove anything.

Sorry, totally missed your post.  I agree but should he have been banned for trolling concerning this or the dev speak out to how it works?

Probably easier to ban, but thought it would be an interesting discussion.

devoncop

I agree and the decision to implement a ban on a poster for questioning the AI balance rather than engaging (and if possible negating his points) is what has pushed me into not buying the game.

Too much banning going on in this world already  :tickedoff:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Skoop

I don't know if I'd say it's rigged, might just be the mechanics are punishing in a sense that it may seem that way.  If you do the defense tutorial, the defender is outnumbered 3to1, and the scenario is pretty difficult.   In combat mission, a well-placed platoon could hold off a company assaulting over open ground no problem.  The fire and movement in this game is totally different, because the AI can fire 3 times more, just mathematics, they will eventually break your defenders.  Makes defending 3to1 really challenging.

When you play balanced scenarios, I wouldn't notice any AI cheating.  I'd say I nail them as much as they nail me.

My Favorite feature so far is the sliding maps on campaigns, reminds me of the operations in original combat mission.     

Also, the editor is really fun, you can cook up some interesting stuff with it.

Axeking240

There are already 97 scenarios (of various quality) on workshop. 45 or so before release, so in 3 days, its been growing at more than 15 a day. This is great, and bodes well for future.

Especially when we get UK and Japanese, OBA, air support - so many other things. It will be greater than it already is - despite the trolls making false claims.

Those that Can't see the overwhelming positive rating for the game and wait are missing out :-)

Thomas Davie

Quote from: Rayfer on February 02, 2023, 03:03:21 PMHaven't pulled the trigger yet because of the annoying locked scenario function.  But looking at the Steam workshop there are already quite a few popular classic Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader scenarios available for download.

It is annoying and shouldn't be there.......but

I'm currently working my way through the tutorials. This method is a direct application of the original ethos in Squad Leader (programmed instruction). The stated intent is to lessen frustration by helping players to learn. It's digestible bite size chunks.

If there were no tutorialsmI would have jumped in with scenario #1 - and quickly become very pissed off.

I've made 3 Squad Leader maps already. That is very satisfying.

TThe Koolaid is inside my body and I'm aboard, hoping we get lots of other content.

Tom

Axeking240

For those wondering, ther is NO AI bonus - it plays by the same rules, using the same rng as the player. Just to confirm for myself, I ran a scenario 40 times. Player rolls came out over all about 10% above expected hit rate, AI rolls were about 3% above.

Granted runs (total of 160 shots for player and almost 120 for AI) were small, so...

At least it wasn't one shot :-)

SirAndrewD

Yeah, one more on the list of those that hasn't noticed the results being anything that weird. 

I've had no problem advancing scenarios and I tend to give as good as I get.  I play very, very carefully though.

Not a good look seeing people get banned for asking for details though.  I imagine there has to be something more to it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

I played the tutorial for firing at different ranges 4 or 5 times and got different results each time, not a bad thing. However in one play all my troops seemed unable to hit anything, only knocking down one target and both groups firing adjacent to their targets missed completely. This seems to be more than just bad luck to me. But I am still enjoying the game so far and can't wait to get into some real fights.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

Sure, there are a few things I don't like.

And it would be easy for me to spin down into mechanics rabbit holes about features and problems with game.. I do find the scenario locks to be incredibly irritating. 

But overall I find the game to be fun, and at a high level, it accurately portrays WWII tactical combat. By that I mean fire and maneuver, and the complex combined arms symphony.

The game fills a gap left open by many other game systems that just don't do this as well. The Matrix / Slitherine catalog has several awkward games that SF leaves in the dust.

IMHO, If you are a wargamer, and you are holding back on this one...you are missing out.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

I also asked this on steam forum but thought would try here as well since a number of folks commenting.

No secret that I am not a fan of the unlock scenarios expectation regardless of what people say that is for our own good.  But if I do complete all the unlocks and then someday uninstall the game, after I reinstall will I be forced to unlock all over again?  If not, how does it remember that I previously completed them?  Unless the game is using cloud saves, which it could be but typically I thought there was some kind of label if it was.

If I have to grind through them again, not going to be thrilled with that.