GOG Refund policy updated

Started by steve58, February 26, 2020, 03:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

:clap:

starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it.

https://www.gog.com/news/gogs_updated_refund_policy_has_your_back_even_more

Refunds FAQ
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Elvis

I have had a lot of interaction with these guys since I started working with them for selling the Battlefront games on their site. I cannot say enough good things about the organization. They have been straight up awesome to work with in all regards. One of our/my biggest concerns when deciding whether to offer our older games on their site was that they have no DRMs for any of the games. When I asked them about that they said something to the effect of "our customers have respect for the us and the game companies that offer games on our site. We trust them to do right by us and not abuse the fact that we don't have DRMs." I have no idea how much or how little our non-DRM games get spread around for free but it spoke volumes about how they feel about their community. The refund policy is a reflection of that attitude.

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sparhawk

I pretty much only buy through GOG or Steam anymore and use GOG as much as I can.

Elvis

Ubercat

You're the boss at Battlefront? I thought you were an employee.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Rayfer

I wonder if Steam will now rethink and change their more restrictive refund policy?

demjansk1942

I wonder if this will be abused?  I mean a month of the game is what many people will do and then return.  I like having the ability for a refund and this is very generous.

Rayfer

Quote from: demjansk1942 on February 27, 2020, 05:09:56 AM
I wonder if this will be abused?  I mean a month of the game is what many people will do and then return.  I like having the ability for a refund and this is very generous.

I agree 100%.  I can see this policy being greatly abused with the cost passed on in the price of the games.  Steam's 2-hour play time over 3 days (I could be wrong on the exact numbers but this is close) is too restrictive but GOG's new policy is overly generous.

The_Admiral

I agree, it is very generous - and to my knowledge, twice the timeframe any sort of EU law would coerce them to (and even then, the 14-days return legitimately might not apply to games that have already been tried). This is kind, but maybe too kind.  :(
But kuddos nonetheless, as a consumer this I see this as a very classy move.  :notworthy:

jamus34

I'm sure it'll be abused by some as there are an infinite number of asshats in the world.

Here's to the hope that most of them don't shop at GOG and don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Even with Steams restrictive policy I've only ever returned one game and that's cause I could not for the life of me could get it to run.

Insert witty comment here.

Destraex

I imagine that if you do it constantly they will simply ban your payment credentials as an untenable customer.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

Quote from: Destraex on February 27, 2020, 08:18:01 AM
I imagine that if you do it constantly they will simply ban your payment credentials as an untenable customer.

7. How often can I refund my games? Is there some sort of limit?

We trust that you're making informed purchasing decisions and will use this updated voluntary Refund Policy only if something doesn't work as you expected.
This is why there are no limits but instead, we reserve the right to refuse refunds in individual cases.
Please respect all the time and hard work put into making the games you play and remember that refunds are not reviews. If you finished the game and didn't like it, please consider sharing your opinion instead. Also, please don't take advantage of our trust by asking for an unreasonable amount of games to be refunded. Don't be that person. No one likes that person.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006129837?product=gog

Bardolph

Quote from: Rayfer on February 27, 2020, 05:37:44 AM
Quote from: demjansk1942 on February 27, 2020, 05:09:56 AM

I agree 100%.  I can see this policy being greatly abused with the cost passed on in the price of the games.  Steam's 2-hour play time over 3 days (I could be wrong on the exact numbers but this is close) is too restrictive but GOG's new policy is overly generous.

Steam is 2 hours of play or 14 days, whichever comes first.