Battlestar Galactica Deadlock coming this summer!

Started by Anguille, May 16, 2017, 07:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Ian C

Apart from the 70's original show, I know nothing of Battlestar Galactica. Will I enjoy this?

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Ian C on September 01, 2017, 03:47:44 AM
Apart from the 70's original show, I know nothing of Battlestar Galactica. Will I enjoy this?

Have you ever played Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy or Battle Fleet Gothic: Armada? There arn't many games like Deadlock on the market currently. It's a WEGO/turn-based 3D tactical space strategy game. The detailing and immersion in the BSG universe is fantastic, although if you don't know anything about BSG it will go over your head.

So it really depends if you like the idea of the mechanics. Star Hammer was the game the studio created before this, so it's very similar but updated and more polished (with different minutia in terms of fleet management). There are parallels to draw with Armada but they both have their own take on tactical space battles so not really a direct comparison.

If you haven't played either of those, I don't know what to suggest as a point of reference. Do you like space battles and (WEGO) turn-based tactical gameplay? If so, you'll probably like this.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Ian C

Quote from: WargamerJoe on September 01, 2017, 03:54:48 AM

If you haven't played either of those, I don't know what to suggest as a point of reference. Do you like space battles and (WEGO) turn-based tactical gameplay? If so, you'll probably like this.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The closest I've got to this game on appearance alone is Star Wars Empire at War / Forces of Corruption which I consider a classic. I've checked out a vid and I like what I see so far -with the tech and strategy map layers.

fabius

:o  Game aside, the updated BSG show is well worth checking out if you enjoy sci-fi.

Jarhead0331

I'm in the same boat. Not only do I not know much about the BG series, but for some strange reason, it doesn't appeal to me. I have no idea why. Large space fleet battles. Killer rampaging robots. This should be right up my alley, but for some strange reason, it's not.

Anyway, it is causing some confusion for me in Deadlock, but it's not totally detracting from the experience thus far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

spelk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2017, 06:16:38 AM
I'm in the same boat. Not only do I not know much about the BG series, but for some strange reason, it doesn't appeal to me. I have no idea why. Large space fleet battles. Killer rampaging robots. This should be right up my alley, but for some strange reason, it's not.

Short spoilers in rapid succession...

And a potted history...

And just for the hell of it.. the Battle of New Caprica! (spoilers too)

Apart from all the Starbuck dogfighting, you can't beat the Galactica firing her main battery

BSG.. you know its military space opera escape from the clutches of an oppressive hive mind robotic force, with the added bonus that now the Cylons can make human-like "replicants" and can hide them in plain sight inside the fleet..

Just for completeness..

JasonPratt

And replicants that look like supermodels.

Supermodels hot to replicate.  ???

...also there are angels. Related to but somewhat distinct from the supermodel Cylons hot to replicate but who behave awfully like them. Or maybe it's just insanity.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

I couldn't get into the "new" BSG series.... the bouncy camera work made me want to vomit... and I didn't buy the hot toasters thing...  :P

sandman2575

Overall I enjoyed the BSG reboot -- but nothing in the show ever really managed to capture the special feel of the 3-episode mini-series the preceded the first season. If you watch nothing else of the new BSG, watch the 2003 mini-series -- it's seriously great.

By no means a BSG superfan and so wasn't really interested in Deadlock, though I have to say, looking at the gameplay trailers, I'm intrigued -- it looks much better than I would've guessed.

Jarhead0331

One small, but major improvement I have noticed from Star Hammer to Deadlock is with regard to the z-axis movement system. In Star Hammer you only had three levels...think "low, medium, high".  In Deadlock, the system is more fluid, and although its still not a true 3D plane, it feels like the player has more control over elevation. They seem to have also added a feature that permits the player to adjust yaw, or the aspect of the vessel's nose. I don't think this was in Star Hammer. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Zulu1966

Maybe it is just me but I am finding ...

1. a big sense of disappointment - I didnt watch the new BSG only the original series so had thought the campaign would be about managing a fleet of ragtag ships as they used to say with one battlestar to guard them on a long journey through space to earth - that seems to me like a much more engaging scenario than the seemingly bog standard small universe map in the system.
2. I just seem to find you have to move the whole screen around a lot to get control over your ships - it gets pretty mixed up pretty fast and just frustrating and awkward to control.
3. Hacking - just seems like thats all the enemy do and there is no defence against it and it rips your ships apart - even a battle star in very short order. I dont like that mechanic at all.
4. battlestars dont seem very complicated .. just the same ship with a couple of ship squadrons - which you just launch. No concept of fuel or management - very limited.

I guess much of this stems from number one - I just think a detailed management of one battlestar - pilots and vipers over a long journey whilst keeping the last survivors from earth alive in different ship types - with maybe some random mission types / incidents occurring which slow you down - let the cylons catch up  - or others unkown ahead intercept you would have been epic. Seem if you have Star Hammer - this doesnt add a whole lot and it could be set in any universe with space ships from my point of view

And you never really see the vipers. Mostly they are just little specs of light

Am early in so maybe will grow on me and more variety will become apparent but a certain anti climax so far.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

W8taminute

I'm 8 hours of gameplay in after having completed the first 4 story line missions of the campaign.  While I'm not ready to give my ultimate opinion on this game I am as of now quite fond of this title.  There seems to be enough command decisions to make at the strategic layer to keep interest.  The tactical layer is also entertaining even with it's minor camera flaws. 

Here is a short video of a beloved ship of mine that met an inglorious end.  She was serving so well in many battles only to have this happen...

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

I loved the Sci-Fy BSG show, sometimes brilliant, sometimes a little nutty. But I thought this game was about the First Cylon War from the 7-'s show timeline? I've heard an awful lot about crashing ships like in W8's video. Is this a game-breaker?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 01, 2017, 10:52:24 AM
But I thought this game was about the First Cylon War from the 7-'s show timeline?

The First Cylon War in this game is from the reboot universe.

The war gets covered a bit in Blood & Chrome - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica:_Blood_%26_Chrome
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus