What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: OJsDad on August 13, 2014, 11:59:28 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 13, 2014, 11:18:13 AMLost Regiment series

I just reread the first four in this series.  Very highly recommended. 

The second book still makes me ill when he gets into the 'feast' description. I've not had a hatred-on for many more evil characters than the Horde. The series is just too fantastic to NOT read more than once.

bob48

I have 2 new books in my 'to read' pile.

'The Seven Weeks War', by H.M.Hozier - really looking forwards to this one.

'Zhitomir-Berdichev - German Operations West of Kiev Dec 1943 - Jan 1944' by Stephen Barratt. This one has a special meaning for me, as the author is an old friend and fellow wargamer. He worked in the defence environment for over 25 years and had has done extensive historical research for a number of game publishers.

This is his first book and is Vol 1 of a 2 part set - hopefully the second book will be out later this year.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

OJsDad

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 13, 2014, 01:45:05 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 13, 2014, 11:18:13 AMLost Regiment series

The second book still makes me ill when he gets into the 'feast' description. I've not had a hatred-on for many more evil characters than the Horde. The series is just too fantastic to NOT read more than once.

Ah, that was a great scene. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

I've liked everything I've read by Forstchen, though One Second After was just depressing. I'll have to pick up the lost regiment series and add it to my ever growing list of things-to-read-when-life-slows-down. Or maybe I can pick them up as audio books...

MetalDog

The only thing I read from Forstchen was The Gamester Wars trilogy.  I liked them, but I haven't re-read them in some time.  It's about a syndicate of gamblers who bring historical figures, Alexander the Great and Napoleon (first and third books respectively), forward through time and plunk them down on a planet and get them to fight battles that the syndicate bets on.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 13, 2014, 11:18:13 AMForstchen, though, is a pretty amazing writer in his own right. If you have not read his Lost Regiment series, you really, REALLY should at least get into the first one, Rally Cry (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0451450078/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1407946504&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lost+regiment&condition=used).

:smitten:

He also had some good books based on Wing Commander. 

Read his Ice Prophet books too. Those were his first, and in some ways still, his best works.

I knew Bill Forstchen when he lived in Maine in the 80s. He was a history teacher trying to make it as an author. Many of the characters and ideas he incorporated into his novels came out of role playing games he did with high school students in the local "Gaming Club", back in the day when people thought D&D was a Satanic cult.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I'll check out Ice Prophet when I have a chance; thanks for the recommend.

I had seen a few years back that it looked like there were some options for turning The Lost Regiment into a feature film, which would be completely and utterly awesome if it were done right, though it would be epically expensive considering what it covers. I could see (and possibly shudder at) Michael Bay doing such a movie. It would be a war movie of epic proportions, potentially.

mirth

I'm pretty sure someone optioned the film rights. At one point, I heard rumors of Tom Cruise wanting to do Lost Regiment. That was at least 10 years ago though.

I'd love to see someone do a Lost Regiment movie. If it ever happens, I hope they use the original character names. Malady, Keane, Rossignol were all guys I was friends with and gamed with 20 years ago.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Would be great to see Sean Connery return to the screen as Dr. Emil. That's whom I pictured in that role while reading those books.

BanzaiCat

^Or he could play Hans, the SGM, but he's probably way too old now for either role.

Anyway.

I just started Disaster at Stalingrad late last night, by Peter Tsouras. Still trying to read Tank Lords by David Drake, but DaS I decided to give a shot because I want an alt-history fix.

Gusington

Just started F. Paul Wilson's The Keep. 35 pages in and love it already. Supernatural Nazi-killing in Transylvania by a possibly Jewish supernatural force! Yay!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Gusington on August 23, 2014, 08:45:23 AM
Just started F. Paul Wilson's The Keep. 35 pages in and love it already. Supernatural Nazi-killing in Transylvania by a possibly Jewish supernatural force! Yay!!

Good book, I recommend it. The movie screwed it all up.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

Is the movie not worth watching at all?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

My memory is foggy on it, it was so far back. I think it was ok, it just misses most of the subtlety ( a lot was psychological) and twists of the book. I think I had an AD&D module based on it as well. It was made by another company not TSR. It was actually the module that got me to check out the book IIRC. That company made many modules.

Mr. Bigglesworth