Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on October 05, 2017, 03:14:55 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 04, 2017, 06:49:41 PM
Yep, most subs will now take a snapshot at you from the bearing of the transient of your torpedo...so once you fire you would be well-advised to go defensive.

Excellent.

Was just getting ready to start up a new campaign & see if they updated the AI with this behavior yet.  It was the only thing I had been waiting on.  :bd:

Just remember that not every enemy sub hears your transient immediately, so not every sub takes a shot. But I don't gamble. I make going defensive SOP after launching a mk 48.

mirth

With a 48, you should be able to setup for an off angle shot and guide into the target on a dog leg. That way the return shot is down the wrong bearing. Of course, it depends on the launch range and the capabilities of the target.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mikeck

That's what I do. Launch at long range and dog-leg. After the turn and once I notice the enemy subs acting like they know the torps are there, I keep my speed at full (anything more they can hear me over the torps)dive and move away. The enemy snapshots down the bearing of the torp and doesn't come me close. To me, this is the greatest advantage of wire-guided torpedoe
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 05, 2017, 06:40:32 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 05, 2017, 03:14:55 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 04, 2017, 06:49:41 PM
Yep, most subs will now take a snapshot at you from the bearing of the transient of your torpedo...so once you fire you would be well-advised to go defensive.

Excellent.

Was just getting ready to start up a new campaign & see if they updated the AI with this behavior yet.  It was the only thing I had been waiting on.  :bd:

Just remember that not every enemy sub hears your transient immediately, so not every sub takes a shot. But I don't gamble. I make going defensive SOP after launching a mk 48.

No.  But they shouldn't need to detect a transient in order to return fire.   All they need to do is detect the running torpedo and return a BOL down that bearing, at the least. 

I still have doubts the AI has been programmed to do that, though.  It may be launching only at transient detections, but not incoming torpedoes.  Not sure yet until I run it for awhile.

Quote from: mirth on October 05, 2017, 06:51:49 PM
With a 48, you should be able to setup for an off angle shot and guide into the target on a dog leg. That way the return shot is down the wrong bearing. Of course, it depends on the launch range and the capabilities of the target.

Yes.  This is part of the reason I want the AI to blind fire down hostile bearings. 

It is what the old RSR game did, on decent difficulty levels.  It would force you fir off-angle, keep your wire, and manually turn them in to mask your real position in order to avoid Bearing Only return homing torpedo fire. 

Otherwise, a straight shot would usually result in having to deal with a hostile torpedo, or even two, coming right at you.  Forcing you to put on some speed and clear datum ASAP after firing a straight shot, or firing a dog-leg shot from the start.

Was great in the old game.  Added much deadliness to sub-vs-sub knife fights.  Something that is glaringly missing in Cold Waters.

Nefaro

Ohhhh!   :dreamer:

Coming Soon - New Content

November 2 - Killerfish Games   

We've been busy working on Cold Waters and over the next few months expect to see new content being added to the base game. The plan (subject to change) is to have all this in sometime around the New Year.

As a thank you to all who supported Cold Waters and made it such a success, this additional content will be added free to the base game.   :o

Feel free to discuss this new content here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210/discussions/0/1479857071254469075/

New Playable Submarines
Two highly requested submarines are being added for players to skipper:
- Seawolf
- 688i

Neutral Vessels and Oil Rigs
Neutral vessels will now be transiting the combat theatre and oil rigs may be present in some regions, making it crucial to correctly identify targets before unleashing weapons.

South China Sea Theatre
An all new campaign and map based in the South China Sea is coming with a naval conflict set in the early to mid 90's.

The various ships and submarines of the People's Liberation Army Navy planned to be added include:
Luhu DDG
Luda DDG
Jianghu FFG
Jianghu-3 FFG
Jiangwei FFG
Chengdu FFG
Yukan LST
Yuting LST
Xia SSBN
Han SSN
Song SSK
Kilo SSK
Ming SS
Foxtrot SS

http://steamcommunity.com/games/541210/announcements/detail/1446080074059065150

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

That's a lot of content for free.

The SCS theater sounds downright loin-moistening.

I'd love to see the devs take on the North Atlantic theater, but do it from the Russian side.  That would be a real challenge!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

besilarius

Quite honestly, with the state of the Chinese Navy in the 90s, I can't see the South China Sea as being too interesting.
The US and allies should have a real technological edge.
Stalking US carriers might be a challenge if you can do the Chicom navy.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

jamus34

Quote from: Toonces on November 07, 2017, 04:41:42 PM
That's a lot of content for free.

The SCS theater sounds downright loin-moistening.

I'd love to see the devs take on the North Atlantic theater, but do it from the Russian side.  That would be a real challenge!

even better - I would like to play a USSR guided missile boat vs a US convoy task force.
Insert witty comment here.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on November 07, 2017, 04:41:42 PM

I've been under the impression that a Soviet/Russian campaign will likely be done in a future DLC, by the dev's previous posts.   Along with some mention of the British too.

I'm surprised they're still adding new content for free.  They must've sold far beyond their expectations.  They've been adding a bunch of player requests already.  These guys are great.  :bd:

Nefaro

Quote from: besilarius on November 07, 2017, 08:54:50 PM
Quite honestly, with the state of the Chinese Navy in the 90s, I can't see the South China Sea as being too interesting.
The US and allies should have a real technological edge.

Agreed. 

Hell, you're quite advantaged running an LA class in the 84 campaign against the Soviet Navy which was much more capable tech-wise than the Chinese navy a decade later.  Especially considering they're adding a Seawolf SSN.  The tech spread will be even wider. 

I'd think that going a different direction with playables, in a South China Sea campaign, would be a better option for purposes of challenge.  Such as having playable Japanese diesel subs.  Although I'm not as keen on running diesel-elecs in such a dynamic campaign, the lower top speed on diesels would really hurt when attempting to evade attacks, so it could make the Chinese navy more dangerous for the player.

Hrmm.. who knows?  Maybe they'll give the Chinese some extra allies (Russia?) for it.

Toonces

I'm also surprised they're offering the DLC for free...I almost wish they would charge a few bucks to keep the revenue flowing.  These guys are really onto something with this one, and I think there is a great deal of room still to grow.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs