Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Nemesis and Insurrection are the only two movies I saw in the theater and never watched again.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Nemesis was dumb, but I liked Tom Hardy in it. They retconned a bunch of shit about the Romulans that pissed me off.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

I didn't bother seeing Nemesis in the theater. I did go to see Insurrection. I actually despise that more than Nemesis.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on March 04, 2016, 04:46:39 PM
Nemesis was dumb, but I liked Tom Hardy in it. They retconned a bunch of shit about the Romulans that pissed me off.

Yeah, the Romulan stuff was really stupid.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

They should just do a movie or, better yet, a show based on the Diane Duane Romulan novels. Those are epic.

bbmike

I read The Wounded Sky by Diane Duane many, many years ago. It was so horrible I never read anything by her again. A friend of mine said the Rihannsu stuff was good but I couldn't bring myself to read it. Maybe I should try one more time.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Wounded Sky was her first Trek novel and not her best. Try My Enemy, My Ally. If you don't like that, you won't like the rest.

I've read a ton of Trek novels and she is, by far, my favorite Trek author.

bbmike

Wait. I think I did read My Enemy, My Ally. Wasn't that the one where the Romulan commander from Balance of Terror was supposedly in love with Kirk all along?  ::)
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Not really. It had the niece of the commander from Balance of Terror and she basically defects to help Kirk and crew stop the Romulans from completing some nasty genetic experiments. She actually hates Kirk for the disgrace he brought to her family name.

bbmike

Hmm, I think I need to read it again.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

It's one of my favorites, not just for Trek but scifi in general.

Martok

Quote from: mirth on March 04, 2016, 04:54:22 PM
They should just do a movie or, better yet, a show based on the Diane Duane Romulan novels. Those are epic.
Couldn't agree more! 

Quote from: mirth on March 04, 2016, 05:07:59 PM
I've read a ton of Trek novels and she is, by far, my favorite Trek author.
Again, agreed.  I'm not sure what exactly it is or how she does it, but Diane Duane does a better job than anyone of capturing that Star Trek "feel" and putting it to paper. 

Quote from: mirth on March 04, 2016, 05:12:17 PM
Not really. It had the aunt of the commander from Balance of Terror and she basically defects to help Kirk and crew stop the Romulans from completing some nasty genetic experiments. She actually hates Kirk for the disgrace he brought to her family name -- at first.
FTFY

By the way:  Did you, in fact, get around to reading the rest of the Rihannsu books then?  I vaguely remember us discussing them before. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Peter David is by far my favorite Trek author.

Martok

Roddenberry's son has been added to the show as an executive producer: 

http://www.startrek.com/article/roddenberry-added-to-new-tv-series-team

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 05, 2016, 06:39:17 PM
Peter David is by far my favorite Trek author.
Yeah, I like him too. 

Another favorite author for me is Keith R. A. deCandido.  His Trek stories in general are pretty good, but especially his Klingon Empire novels.  I also enjoyed Articles of the Federation

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak