Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: The Best "Alternate Histor...
Last post by Phantom - Today at 01:18:21 PM
I guess one of the problems is that to be generally considered a good historical game, it needs to be able to generate a realistically historical outcome "on average". I guess this somewhat straightjackets the designer as to what options he can implement in the game, to avoid giving it unrealistic outcomes. Therefore I've tended to gravitate towards games on the PC such as the Decisive Campaign series, which broadly follow the historical path, but allow the player to grade himself against the historical outcome.
On the other hand, one of the reasons I find myself playing more board games is that I find they generally have a more sandbox feel to them, and whilst they try & conform to history, their more abstract approach lends itself to non-historical outcomes as well. A case in point is Fleet Commander Nimitz - its a great game but has attracted some flak due to the potential ahistorical behaviour of the Japanese. However, the fact that the Japanese behaviour is to a degree random IMO adds to the enjoyment of the game and in some respects makes the game feel more realistic because, as the actual Allied commander, not knowing what the Japanese were planning was part of the challenge.
Sorry I can't point to any games to scratch your particular itch, but that's my two-pennyworth.
Maybe I'll go with Atlantis then?   :undecided:
Computer Gaming / Re: The Best "Alternate Histor...
Last post by Tripoli - Today at 12:56:37 PM
I used to always enjoy Avalon Hill's "3rd Reich" because it allowed for deviations in the historical narrative that were interesting, even if not historically accurate or plausible, but were interesting "what ifs", and thought that this characteristic made it an entertaining game, with lots of replayability.  Germany could invade Spain and try to take Gibraltar, while the USSR could go after Turkey in 1940.  Not necessarily realistic, but it made for a interesting and fun game.
Computer Gaming / Re: Groghead Game Donation Thr...
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 12:56:07 PM
Anyone interested in a code for Victoria 3?
Computer Gaming / Re: Steam Refund Policy Change...
Last post by Father Ted - Today at 12:49:41 PM
Quote from: Destraex on Yesterday at 11:33:58 PMSounds fine to me. I also think 2hrs is enough time time as a general rule. There is just so much to draw on in the media before pressing the buy button that all you should really be testing is whether it works on your computer before refunding.

Faulty games with crash issues is a different kettle of fish.

I agree entirely. You wouldn't expect to be able to return a book or a downloaded film because you didn't like it.  I confess I have taken advantage of Valve's generosity a few times, but usually I only do it if a game doesn't play nice with my PC - which is something I couldn't find out from a review or Let's Play vid.
Quote from: al_infierno on Today at 12:29:37 AMUnfortunately Ash had to drop out, I've set Man to AI and taken over as Mari.  I've got an absolute ton of toys to play with here and I can see why she was having a bit of analysis paralysis there at the end!

Anyway, I don't fancy my chances of winning against Bandar Log even if I take the time to micro the hell out of everything Mari has. BL is entrenched with several underwater thrones that I'd need to win which are inaccessible to me, and I reckon I'd have to play a hell of a game to get TMIT into a surrender state.

I'm not conceding by any means, but my goal now is to set off as much fireworks as possible, as quickly as possible!

Dang everytime there is about to be a big battle someone drops out. Was looking forward to the show...
Computer Gaming / Re: DCS Discussion
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 12:35:03 PM
So OH-58 Kiowa is due for release in May or June. I'm looking forward to this more than the Phantom. It looks awesome and heck of a lot of fun to fly.

In the meantime, someone released an OH-6 mod. Looks pretty damn good!  :viking2:

Computer Gaming / Re: Sins Of a Solar Empire 2
Last post by mbar - Today at 11:25:20 AM
Quote from: Destraex on Today at 09:27:52 AMSins2 out this summer on steam unfortunately if you are from the southern hemisphere this means your get it six months later than the north does.

Wait. What? Six months later? I didn't know there were delays like that for regions.
Unless/until Ctis get patched, anybody who plays in LA with them needs to agree to just immediately go attack Ctis unconditionally.  Before turn 12, probably before turn 10.

Turn 1 = 0
Turn 2 = 0
Turn 3 = 1
Turn 4 = 4
Turn 5 = 8
Turn 6 = 14
Turn 7 = 21
Turn 8 = 30
Turn 9 = 40
Turn 10 = 52
Turn 11 = 65
Turn 12 = 80
Turn 13 = 96
Turn 14 = 114
Turn 15 = 133
Turn 16 = 154
Turn 17 = 176
Turn 18 = 200
Turn 19 = 225
Turn 20 = 252
Turn 24 = 374

That's their potential schedule of sacred production, and it continues to grow non-linearly.  They get that even if they do literally nothing but sit in cap.  Tomb wyrms are not some soft sacred, depending on bless they can be harder to deal with than knights of the chalice in current game.

To put it in perspective: LA Ctis on turn 30 with 9 provinces will be much, much stronger than I was as Mekone after conquering both Ulm and Ubar, which happened later.  Can't blood rain them off, can't rigor them, and they have 15 attack.  With some blesses, they present a legitimately unwinnable scenario in a 1v1 before turn 15.

Current LA Ctis is stronger in unit scaling than Sceleria and Lemuria were at their peak.  In our previous LA game, I ran Siekster's Lemuria down ASAP because not doing so meant nobody else would win.  Against LA Ctis, I'm not confident I could even do that.
Computer Gaming / Re: Sins Of a Solar Empire 2
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 09:54:52 AM
...and let me guess...it will include some kind of an update that will not be provided to those who bought early access on Epic. Stardock and Wardell screwed everyone over like this with Gal Civ IV.