Strategy is not hip

Started by glen55, May 22, 2024, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Old TImer on May 23, 2024, 04:31:11 PMIt may be niche but there's more good stuff that I don't have time to play than ever.

Groggiest post for the week!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Phantom

I think another issue is that many strategy game designers conflate complexity with depth of gameplay.
I personally don't find the new Europa Universalis games significantly "deeper" (ie: genuinely challenging to your powers of reason rather than memory, or innovative in some way) than the original, they're just a lot more complex. Same goes for Total War games.
I guess its easier to add another two hundred lines to a spreadsheet than it is to develop better gameplay. Lots more buildings in a game or a plethora of different units type doesn't make a game better IMO.

That's why I've stopped buying.

Tripoli

This little nugget about the exception to the downward trend among strategy players is in the Chinese market has me just a little concerned for reasons that have nothing to do with gaming.....

"But across its 1.7 million surveys, Quantic Foundry found that two thirds of strategy fans worldwide (except China, where gamers "have a very different gaming motivation profile") have lost interest in this element of video games. "67% of gamers today care less about strategic thinking and planning when playing games than the average gamer back in June 2015," the report reads."
https://www.ign.com/articles/gamers-are-becoming-less-interested-in-games-with-deep-strategy-study-finds#:~:text=But%20across%20its,the%20report%20reads.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

^I thumbed up that comment but it's actually terrible...or maybe not. Haven't we all here been a different breed of gamer, forever?  :beermug[1]:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I dunno.

I'm pretty sure I'm at least 67% more 'tarded now than I was in 2015.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 24, 2024, 03:26:07 PMI dunno.

Amen, Brother!

em2nought

Quote from: Skoop on May 23, 2024, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on May 22, 2024, 06:18:42 PMWaiting for the big screen release of "Ass"

(For you Idiocracy fans)

With the way the 2024 election is going, I wouldn't be surprised if 2028 election will put the Terry Crews idiocracy character in the White House.

Funny, I was thinking the 2024 is starting to look like it might save us from that same fate under your team.  :ROFL:
Stolen elections have consequences.

Lowenstaat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 22, 2024, 04:53:39 PMMakes perfect sense. As the population gets dumber with less attention span and more entitled to being instantly gratified, so too shall the quality of recreation and entertainment diminish.  :uglystupid2: 

I wonder if within the next 5 years consumers will be able to subscribe to entertainment services that specialize in AI generated content personalized and customized according to the made-to-order directions of individual consumers. You will be able to tell an AI to program a FPS, a RPG, a wargame, a grand strategy game, or whatever genre you want that combines elements of Helldivers, ARMA, Star Trek, GTA, Civilization, and War in the Pacific. The AI will deliver what you want to play after a few hours of processing.

After you tire of playing your customized, personalized game, you'll be able to tell the AI to create a movie or TV series or cartoon based on your game or whatever theme you can imagine. Within about 30 minutes your video stream will be ready just in time for you to watch while you enjoy your Grub Hub delivery.

The tech layoffs of this past year and those yet to come are market adjustments similar to those of 100 years ago when the demand for wagon wheels and horse shoes dramatically dropped off as more Americans began driving automobiles. Similarly, employees and entrepreneurs who excel at managing AI services are becoming the new engineers, mechanics, and service station attendants of the 21st century AI driven entertainment highways.
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

smittyohio

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 24, 2024, 11:08:03 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 24, 2024, 03:26:07 PMI dunno.

Amen, Brother!

Preach!   I love my boardgames to be complex, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to get into deep PC games.

MengJiao

Quote from: Redwolf on May 22, 2024, 03:26:47 PM
Quote from: glen55 on May 22, 2024, 02:06:45 PMhttps://www.ign.com/articles/gamers-are-becoming-less-interested-in-games-with-deep-strategy-study-finds
 :undecided:  :embarrassed:  :tongue:   :buck2:
 :beermug[1]:  :beermug[1]:  :beermug[1]:  :beermug[1]:

I would guess the population of all gamers has expanded AND more of the expansion is in less strategy-oriented
gaming.

But that's just a guess.

It is too bad that they only give fluffy numbers.

I would be interested to know whether the absolute number of gamers with an interest in strategy stayed the same, and this groups lower percentage is caused by casual gamers joining the gaming market.