World War Z

Started by LongBlade, June 24, 2013, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

This is an interesting article:

QuoteThe movie just doesn't really make sense: The lead characters are constantly getting on planes to fly places, mostly because this is the kind of movie where people fly places. However, if you read between the lines, the plot of World War Z is actually very clear-cut. It is the story of Brad Pitt, famous celebrity and family man.

Consider. The film begins with Brad Pitt trying to live the life of a normal family man with his wife and children. But they are immediately besieged by a horde of terrifying drooling creatures who thirst for their blood. (In this metaphor, consider zombies as a stand-in for the paparazzi — or, more likely, a stand-in for anyone who clicks on a link just because the name "Brad Pitt" is in the headline.) It's clear that Pitt and his family cannot return to their normal home; they need to live in a safe place, removed from the rest of the world. So they go to a safe place — in the movie, it's the UN's command center onboard a ship. (Along the way, they adopt a war orphan.)

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/22/world-war-z-brad-pitt-autobiography/?hpt=hp_t5
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

"Along the way they adopt an orphan".  That's some funny shit!  :D
Any time is a good time for pie.

JasonPratt

The actual movie was much better than that review makes it sound. Granted, I have a low tolerance for zombie movies anyway, but the movie sold me. Very much a zombie movie for people who don't care for zombie movies.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

I have to admit that the trailers' depiction of the zombie swarming behavior disturbingly reminds me of those documentaries showing Army Ants bum-rushing some poor jungle creature by using each other's bodies to build an instant siege wall up onto the much larger victim's back and smothering it with a billion painful bites.  :o :o :o
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 15, 2013, 05:23:26 PM
Very much a zombie movie for people who don't care for zombie movies.

lol. that fits me perfectly.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

I saw it today.  meh.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

It does seem unrealistic that Israel would lose a war against zombies, even fast-running ones.  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

^ Spoilers!!!

I have not read the book or seen the movie yet.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GDS_Starfury

at this point thats your problem!  the books been out for years FFS.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Staggerwing

GDS_Starfury

and the movie is nothing like the book.  so it is possible to talk about one without the other.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

and the movie is NOT the book.

damn that was a lame ass ending.

GDS_Starfury

no skull bashing.
no head shots.
no Battle of Yonkers.
just blaaaah.......

Im glad I saved my Ipic movie for Pacific Rim.

GDS_Starfury

the season 4 walking dead trailer is a better zombie flick then this movie was.