Grogheads ASL League - open invitation.

Started by GJK, November 10, 2012, 04:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Ok folks- here's a thread for our ASL(SK) Groghead Challenge.  I suppose we should get a list of participants and try to evenly match according to abilities and capabilities.  I think it would be great to encourage new players to join in- I have no problem teaching some basics.  I also suppose we should decide the format and style of play (live, pbem or both).  I'm up for just about anything- maybe we should try and schedule a Skype/VASL session?  Oh, and if someone is interested but is intimidated by the VASL set up, I can help with that. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

I am a VASSAL and ASL newbie, but am interested in learning: maybe start with a small scenario first.  Skype would work.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

Yeah, S1 to S2 to S3 sequence would be perfect. 
I haven't seen DV8 online for a little while.  We played S2 together, which I believe was his first 2-player game, and it went off just fine.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

I am also game for some VASL matches.

I've been playing for close to 3 years, so still a relative noob, but have a good grasp of the basics. I am mostly familiar with ASL rulebook v2, but have played several scenarios from Starter Kits 1 & 2, so have a reasonable idea of the difference in rules. I'm happy to play with experienced or new players, full ASL or ASLSK.

At this point I'm most interested in playing live...may be open to PBeM down the road. I have some experience with Vassal and am setup for Skype.

GJK mentioned some good starter scenarios from the ASLSK #1. MMP has an excellent package of basic ASL scenarios available for free download from their website, which are an excellent place to start playing full-on ASL:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=5s%2b5Phs29kk%3d&tabid=64

DV8

"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on November 10, 2012, 11:33:33 PM
I haven't seen DV8 online for a little while. 

DV8 is fine. He has a new job and I think that's taking up a lot of time right now.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

... and he just posted right before you did.  ;D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DV8

Quote from: LongBlade on November 11, 2012, 10:45:43 AM
Quote from: GJK on November 10, 2012, 11:33:33 PM
I haven't seen DV8 online for a little while. 

DV8 is fine. He has a new job and I think that's taking up a lot of time right now.

It's bitter sweat, new job less free time.  Anyways, I can VASL while I'm traveling.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Yskonyn

I have heard a lot about ASL, but never played it.
Are there online resources where you can learn to play? Or perhaps the rules are available in PDF format?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

GJK

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 11, 2012, 12:23:33 PM
I have heard a lot about ASL, but never played it.
Are there online resources where you can learn to play? Or perhaps the rules are available in PDF format?
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to the access list for the Dropbox folder that we have set up which includes a copy of the starter kit rulebook that I've put together.

Does anybody need help getting VASSSAL/VASL installed and working?  I typed out some detailed instructions for a buddy of mine that was having problems and it got him going with it.  I can post those instructions here or throw a copy of the text file into the Dropbox folder - or both.

What are the thoughts on getting a ladder or some type of tournament going?  Or should we just try and get some games set up and try to get everybody to a comfortable level of play first?
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Quote from: GJK on November 11, 2012, 03:11:28 PM
What are the thoughts on getting a ladder or some type of tournament going?  Or should we just try and get some games set up and try to get everybody to a comfortable level of play first?

Getting a formal ladder and/or some tourneys going sounds awesome, but think our immediate focus should be on building a local community. Currently we have a hand full of players with a range of experience whom are interested in playing some VASL. I believe our first priority should be to get some VASL action going asap, with an emphasis on learning the basics of both ASL and Vassal. If are are successful at this, hopefully we can generate enough interest in the greater community to recruit more players and build from there.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Rekim on November 12, 2012, 09:12:04 AM
Quote from: GJK on November 11, 2012, 03:11:28 PM

Getting a formal ladder and/or some tourneys going sounds awesome, but think our immediate focus should be on building a local community. Currently we have a hand full of players with a range of experience whom are interested in playing some VASL. I believe our first priority should be to get some VASL action going asap, with an emphasis on learning the basics of both ASL and Vassal. If are are successful at this, hopefully we can generate enough interest in the greater community to recruit more players and build from there.

Agree, I think we should just get some games going but a ladder will be great once we have more of a community. 

Maybe we should put together AARs for some of the games, so new folks can see what the game is about.  I am happy to do that. 

GJK - I can certainly use any info you have on setting up Vassal. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

I'd like to sit in and watch some of the live games on VASSAL if that's alright?
Are questions from the peanut gallery going to be welcome? I ask this because questions can sometime indavertently reveal stuff missed by one of the players.....  ;)

Rekim

Quote from: Barthheart on November 12, 2012, 09:39:51 AM
I'd like to sit in and watch some of the live games on VASSAL if that's alright?
Are questions from the peanut gallery going to be welcome? I ask this because questions can sometime indavertently reveal stuff missed by one of the players.....  ;)

better watch out Barthheart. You're high on the list for assimilation       (what, no borg smilie yet)

Barthheart

Quote from: Rekim on November 12, 2012, 09:58:36 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 12, 2012, 09:39:51 AM

better watch out Barthheart. You're high on the list for assimilation       (what, no borg smilie yet)

Nooooooooo..... Just sold all my ASL!  :P