We like the FRIDAY, we like the disco sound

Started by undercovergeek, June 26, 2015, 03:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

The Last Roman barges into my already crowded schedule just as I was making really good progress in DC Case Blue's 1st. Pz. Army campaign and CMFI's Conrath's Counterattack campaign. Belisarius could handle all 3 at once but not me. The Last shall be first. And the first shall be The Last.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

Quote from: KyzBP on June 26, 2015, 08:20:52 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2015, 08:11:30 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on June 26, 2015, 07:52:07 AM
All I really have on the plate this weekend is a Pbem battle against Undercovergeek in a little game called WiTP:AE.  Both of us are doing AARs (UCG's is far more entertaining I'm sure).  We're both beginners at this game so slide over to the AAR section if you want to see what would happen if spider monkeys were given navies.
I'll definitely have a look. WitP:AE sits looking at me longingly from my desktop. I've fired it up on occassion. Even started a game...then quite.

WiTP:AE is like eating an elephant except the first bite is his entire head.

Really, once you get past the first turn the game moves along rather methodically and quickly.

Surprised you didn't try a smaller scenario instead.. We had to dump our Pride of Nations game because UCG's Gamers ADD prevented more than a turn a week sometimes!!!  :crazy2: .. Just ribbing ya UCG.. I really would love to follow this AAR if it continues!

FlickJax

Might try one of the many games I have bought but not played yet on Saturday, on Sunday off to Tankfest at Bovington Tank Museum :)

ComradeP

Is The Last Roman worth its price? I haven't bought a TW title in years, but I'm rather sceptical about the whole "release DLC with playable factions that are there but unplayable in the main game, or which are simply reskinned existing factions" scheme they have going.

I'll play some Panzer Battles: Kursk Southern Front, and have played some Dungeon Warfare earlier today.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

MengJiao

Quote from: ComradeP on June 26, 2015, 10:35:10 AM
Is The Last Roman worth its price? I haven't bought a TW title in years, but I'm rather sceptical about the whole "release DLC with playable factions that are there but unplayable in the main game, or which are simply reskinned existing factions" scheme they have going.

I'll play some Panzer Battles: Kursk Southern Front, and have played some Dungeon Warfare earlier today.

To get the last Roman, you have to get Attila as well.  There's a lot more to be skeptical about than a DLC or two.  I got Attila, but I've skipped all the DLC until this one.  Anyway, the Last Roman is a "campaign" -- like say Caesar in Gaul -- so it has its own odd charm: monthly turns, lots of little oppida, many kinds of proto-medieval barbarians and so on.

ComradeP

Possibly, but 10 years or so ago, this would simply be a mod. It's still essentially a mod being sold as if it's a genuine expansion. That's what bugs me about the way many companies use DLC to either make things available that are already in the game but can't be used by the player, or slightly changing a thing or two and presenting it as something completely new.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2015, 07:00:08 AM

This weekend there will be a ton of DVG's Hornet Leader, both to help me finish up a review and for the AAR I have in the forums.

Want.

I see that DVG is moving toward starting up IAF Leader soon.  :)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on June 26, 2015, 11:45:17 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2015, 07:00:08 AM

This weekend there will be a ton of DVG's Hornet Leader, both to help me finish up a review and for the AAR I have in the forums.

Want.

I see that DVG is moving toward starting up IAF Leader soon.  :)
I have that on pre-order
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: ComradeP on June 26, 2015, 11:41:25 AM
Possibly, but 10 years or so ago, this would simply be a mod. It's still essentially a mod being sold as if it's a genuine expansion. That's what bugs me about the way many companies use DLC to either make things available that are already in the game but can't be used by the player, or slightly changing a thing or two and presenting it as something completely new.

For me (a total war fanboi and devote of late Antiquity), this DLC hits a sweet spot.  I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by Attila, which was in many ways just plain silly.  I do like the more focused campaign maps in the total war repertoire since Rome2 and this one has the best campaign map so far, I think.  Plus, Justinian's push to recapture the West is an actual pivotal moment in geopolitical history, unlike the rather generic mess surrounding whatever it was Attila thought he was doing.  And there are some well-done minor touches such as the Alan heritage bonus for the Franks.  So if this had come out as a mod 10 years ago, I'm not sure it would have worked at all.  On the other hand, here it is now as a DLC and it's got more things that interest me than any TW release since the Carthage Campaign in Rome2.  So for me, at least, its all good.

Sir Slash

Yes, I'm liking it so far. Plus the whole TW series is on sale and can be played for free this weekend at Steam.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

If there's time I really want to try a game of Star Ruler 2.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

vyshka

I still have ongoing games in XCOM, Distant Worlds, Fallout 3, and Football Manager 2015 that will be vying for time this weekend. I'm also in the mood for a bit
of Battlefield 4 and possibly Diablo 3.

Gusington

Just for clarity, the Last Roman DLC is the only TW title that is not playable for free.or on sale on Steam this weekend.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Can't stop playing CM Black Sea these days. 3rd battle in the US campaign is big and brutal. Man I love this game more and more.

High likelihood that I'll cave and buy Scourge of War Waterloo this weekend...

Arctic Blast

XCom, OOTP 16 and a few board games (Legendary Encounters : Alien, Flip City, Carson City and El Grande being the most likely).