[Dominions 6] Grogspocalypse: The Return! (FINISHED)

Started by al_infierno, January 18, 2024, 04:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Well, all I've got to say about that is...I having fun playing a neat game!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

Quote from: solops on February 21, 2024, 07:15:07 PMWell, all I've got to say about that is...I having fun playing a neat game!

Sometimes playing online makes me feel like Cheech and Chong dropped into the Game of Thrones world.

Wait, what's going on, man?  We're at war? Aw, man...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

GG everyone! My Pretender, Prophet, and Kingdom have all been defeated. TheMeInTeam is once again champion of Dominions. I learned a lot as always!  :notworthy:

Good luck to Agartha and Xibalba against the onslaught of giants!

TheMeInTeam

Well fought indeed, gg!  Corruption/seductions are always annoying to deal with, but you really bled me in the fights too.  I would probably have lost the fight outside the cap if I didn't bring air gems just to crush into lightning bolts.  Despite the 5 SR, at least those got rid of unseen on like half the ifrit warriors.

Ubar's stuff is really powerful, but also really expensive.

It's kind of sad that despite archers shooting into ethereal and some prot, they're STILL more likely to pop unseen than almost anything else I can do lol.  I don't think I've ever played in a game where it's been useful to recruit so many indy archers, but until I have enough to convince Xib to cast air shield onto his armies they're useful against every other matchup...not a lot of big shields out there and at early techs the mages can only air shield themselves.

It's too early to crown me champion though.  I managed another good outcome vs Xib this turn, but a good % of his mages and research is still intact even though this fight cut that down significantly for the first time.  I have some plans on how to handle the tech deficit, and now that I've seen blood letting that's another thing I'll need to deal with, though that has to be used sparingly with bats in the fight.  Importantly, throne positions do not favor either me or Xib...barring multiple army wipes it looks like it's one more 1v2 grind, mostly disregarding thrones...and plans rarely survive contact.  Do I get hit with darkness?  Rigor + skelly spam?  Something else?  We'll see.  So far, I only have evidence of blood 5 from Xib.  Even I have a 5 though, so there's still something extra lurking I suspect.

Lanka you know you wanna attack Xib for fun just to get in on the action!

al_infierno

We could use a sub for Agartha in this game.  He's fairly large and in a pretty decent position to contend.  Would anybody be interested in subbing in for him?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on February 26, 2024, 04:58:04 PMWe could use a sub for Agartha in this game.  He's fairly large and in a pretty decent position to contend.  Would anybody be interested in subbing in for him?

What happened? Battle fright?

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on February 26, 2024, 08:54:33 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 26, 2024, 04:58:04 PMWe could use a sub for Agartha in this game.  He's fairly large and in a pretty decent position to contend.  Would anybody be interested in subbing in for him?

His excuse is that some stupid thing called "real life" got in the way.  As if Dominions is not life.  What a coward.   :doh:

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on February 26, 2024, 10:12:40 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on February 26, 2024, 08:54:33 PM

His excuse is that some stupid thing called "real life" got in the way.  As if Dominions is not life.  What a coward.   :doh:

Well that is a shame. I was looking forward to hearing the tales of battles to come...

TheMeInTeam

To be fair, it's not like the armies Solops raised will disappear when the sub takes over, and it's not much of a secret where they're likely headed considering that Agartha has NAP with all but one nation...

al_infierno

It was strangely difficult to find someone to sub in for a fairly strong position late-game contender.  Oh well.

I made the executive decision to replace Agartha with AI.  May god have mercy on their pretender's soul.

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on February 29, 2024, 01:00:26 AMIt was strangely difficult to find someone to sub in for a fairly strong position late-game contender.  Oh well.

I made the executive decision to replace Agartha with AI.  May god have mercy on their pretender's soul.

Um you could have asked me. I would have subbed. Lol

Is it possible to change it back to a player?

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on February 29, 2024, 01:35:12 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 29, 2024, 01:00:26 AMIt was strangely difficult to find someone to sub in for a fairly strong position late-game contender.  Oh well.

Shit I thought I did ask you.  :hair:

- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

Other than solar weapons, Agartha's build is pretty reasonable.  I would definitely advocate picking up alteration 4-5 before construction 5, if at this level of tech restriction.  Con 3 gets dwarven hammers and enough gear to work with already, and the spell options from alt 4 and 5 are too good to pass up for slightly better gear.

Which con 3 gear to use depends on matchup.  GSS gives +4 atk/def, stacks with Agartha's +3 atk bless, and with quickness totals to +9.  Oracle swings at 17 atk like that, or 21 with burning pearl.  That's getting into territory where it will tend to hit elves on average, hits everything else vast majority of swings, and with strength boost we're talking > 42 AP slash per.  4-5 of these operating in/around ancient ones could put in a ton of work against my stuff but also anybody else's.  Obviously if making thug kit you'd take salt vs Ubar.  Salt is AoE, DGAF about invis, and will pop it.

Reasonable alternative kit options: coral blade for hp threshold on Agartha's regen bless + bleed effect, lightning rod (if there was a big air nation in the game that might slam elementals out), hammer of the mountains (would be good vs Ulm since they're not big enough to resist the stun effect, and 40+ bludgeoning damage would kill their stuff even w/o sharpness), smasher (if shatter weren't enough vs Ubar lol), and eye catcher (bad news for drakon, though olms are already bad news for drakon by itself and likely hold it still for long enough for regular crap to just walk up and kill it). 

As for armor, you probably just want low enc stuff like fire plate + flame helmet.  Not a ton of con 3 boots options, but +5 strength won't hurt.  Could also just run the weapon + armor/helmet + burning pearl w/o more support and use the gems on other things though.

Reason to use alt 5 is you get stuff like quickness mentioned above, but also temper flesh + for non-gear oracles they can earth power into casting maws of the earth at low fatigue (great vs anybody but Ubar and Xib), shatter vs inanimate (bad news for stuff like monolith or Ubar's pretender), and AoE shock resistance.  Also allows casting FR onto army with Olm sages, so there's some value to alt 5 in every matchup in this game for Agartha that I don't think con 5 can match with gear.

I'd probably take conj 5 over con 5 too, umbrals and elementals each add extra things to deal with and both give some counterplay vs rigor mortis if/when Xib were to cast that, so it'd be useful to have handy if needed.

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on February 29, 2024, 10:34:13 AM

I thought I read somewhere you can switch back to a player...

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on February 29, 2024, 03:06:38 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 29, 2024, 10:34:13 AM

I thought I read somewhere you can switch back to a player...

I'll check when I get home from work, but the popup in game said it's irreversible. I believe we would have to roll back to the previous turn.

- MengJiao