Matrix holiday 2016 sale is here!

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 23, 2016, 06:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raied

Guys what do you think about Piercing Fortress Europa? it looks detailed groggy and at same time WEGO system, which I prefer.

jamus34

OK so I pulled the trigger on DC:Barbarossa and War in the West. Upgraded to the physical copies because I don't can for trying to read PDF's that are 100's of pages long.
Insert witty comment here.

Labbug

Bought Scourge of War Waterloo and Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985.  Up-graded to the physical copies as well.

GJK

Quote from: Raied on December 30, 2016, 03:01:50 AM
Guys what do you think about Piercing Fortress Europa? it looks detailed groggy and at same time WEGO system, which I prefer.

It's definitely "old school" and if that's what you like, this one should appeal to you.  I'm a bit biased (my graphics) but I think Frank Hunter does wonderful boardgame to computer game adaptations.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

How's the old Close Combat series these days?  I'm looking at Close Combat - Gateway to Caen for $20.  I haven't played this series in many years-
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

Quote from: GJK on December 31, 2016, 12:57:55 PM

It's definitely "old school" and if that's what you like, this one should appeal to you.  I'm a bit biased (my graphics) but I think Frank Hunter does wonderful boardgame to computer game adaptations.

Agreed, this is an excellent game and a lot of fun to play. It's a good overview of the campaigns without getting bogged into too much detail. I really enjoy Frank Hunter games, and of course, the graphics on this one are superb.  :clap:
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Quote from: GJK on December 31, 2016, 01:09:16 PM
How's the old Close Combat series these days?  I'm looking at Close Combat - Gateway to Caen for $20.  I haven't played this series in many years-

Bought it in a sale last year, loaded it and played it once, and have never tried it again. Mostly a silly clickfest.

GJK

Quote from: panzerde on December 31, 2016, 07:24:37 PM
Quote from: GJK on December 31, 2016, 12:57:55 PM

Agreed, this is an excellent game and a lot of fun to play. It's a good overview of the campaigns without getting bogged into too much detail. I really enjoy Frank Hunter games, and of course, the graphics on this one are superb.  :clap:

You are too kind sir!  I actually had different ideas for the graphics but that was the look that Frank wanted so we went with it.  Somebody did a very excellent mod for the game that I'd highly recommend.  The one thing that I appreciate from Frank's games is he uses single images for the maps so it's very easy to mod it to your tastes; no "tiling" of images in this one.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: panzerde on December 31, 2016, 07:25:31 PM
Quote from: GJK on December 31, 2016, 01:09:16 PM

Bought it in a sale last year, loaded it and played it once, and have never tried it again. Mostly a silly clickfest.

Thank you, will pass it by then.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

Quote from: GJK on December 31, 2016, 11:16:53 PM
You are too kind sir!  I actually had different ideas for the graphics but that was the look that Frank wanted so we went with it.  Somebody did a very excellent mod for the game that I'd highly recommend.  The one thing that I appreciate from Frank's games is he uses single images for the maps so it's very easy to mod it to your tastes; no "tiling" of images in this one.

I do have Chemkid's mod, and like all of his graphics mods it too is lovely. Unlike the Tiller games I play, this game really didn't need to have the graphics modded. It's really nice being able to change between the two just to get a fresh look.

Raied

Thanks for the recommendation, I may get it soon if I am not getting anything else today.

acctingman

Why can't I pull the trigger on JTCS for $10?  :uglystupid2:

Cyrano

Re: JTCS:  DO EEEET.

Yes the interface is kludgy, but, with the 2.0 patch, there isn't a game at this scale that has more content.  Seriously, there are some at the Blitz who still play nothing else.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

FarAway Sooner

I ended up buying Gary Grigsby's World at War:  A World Divided in hopes of playing PBEM with a buddy of mine who also bought it, and spent the first 40 minutes of it trying to get the resolution higher than 1024*720.  Finally succeeded, with a little hard work and a little luck...

I got it via the Steam Sale, but I also bought Matrix'  DC: Barbarossa, based on all the glowing reviews on this board.  I'm eager to kick the tires on both titles, but am having too much fun right now with my AAR on the other board here for Thea: The Awakening.  A nifty little title, even if it's not part of the Matrix collection...   :)

Wolfe1759

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 06, 2017, 05:16:28 PM
I ended up buying Gary Grigsby's World at War:  A World Divided in hopes of playing PBEM with a buddy of mine who also bought it, and spent the first 40 minutes of it trying to get the resolution higher than 1024*720.  Finally succeeded, with a little hard work and a little luck...

If you have the latest 1.040 patch (you'll need to download from the Matrix site here http://www.matrixgames.com/products/330/downloads/ ) you should be able to do this from the in game Preferences screen, see here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1675262 post #23
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill