Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

Quote from: Bison on August 26, 2013, 05:00:31 AM
Wow.  Rome 2 is looking really fantastic.

I have to admit it does.  I wasn't interested in it at all - ETW left a bad taste in my mouth, and Shogun 2 was of no interest to me.  But this does look like a compelling new entry in the TW series.  Plus, the mention of "years worth of free and paid DLC" (as a press release recently said) makes this sound like a very special entry to the TW series. 

Today, there is a new article from CA on the new Tactical View, something that was long overdue IMO:

Total War ROME II: Tactical View

QuoteROME II’s battles feature an entirely new feature called the Tactical View. This enables players to pull the camera seamlessly to a satellite view, in which the entire sweep of the battlefield can be taken in at a glance, and movement orders can be given where required.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 26, 2013, 04:25:05 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 26, 2013, 05:00:31 AM
Wow.  Rome 2 is looking really fantastic.

I have to admit it does.  I wasn't interested in it at all - ETW left a bad taste in my mouth, and Shogun 2 was of no interest to me.  But this does look like a compelling new entry in the TW series.  Plus, the mention of "years worth of free and paid DLC" (as a press release recently said) makes this sound like a very special entry to the TW series. 

Today, there is a new article from CA on the new Tactical View, something that was long overdue IMO:

Total War ROME II: Tactical View

QuoteROME II's battles feature an entirely new feature called the Tactical View. This enables players to pull the camera seamlessly to a satellite view, in which the entire sweep of the battlefield can be taken in at a glance, and movement orders can be given where required.

Tactical View?  Excellent.

I've been trying my best to avoid all the previews and hype, otherwise I'll be gnawing fingernails during the wait.

Gusington

One week until release!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Is it a pre-release download?

Gusington

Don't know, but I hope so.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Me too.  Otherwise it'll be a slow download on release day as Steam gets overwhelmed, but I guess it doesn't matter since I don't expect to have the time to play until the following weekend anyway.

Martok

I, on the other hand, have three days off starting the 3rd.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I would expect it to be available for preorders the night before for downloading since the game will ne huge and take up a gigantic memory footprint.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

tgb

Any word on a demo?

LongBlade

Quote from: tgb on August 27, 2013, 11:06:25 AM
Any word on a demo?

Do we really need one? It's Total War. I cannot imagine any need to elaborate further :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

tgb

Quote from: LongBlade on August 27, 2013, 11:17:14 AM
Any word on a demo?

Do we really need one? It's Total War. I cannot imagine any need to elaborate further :)

Is that going to tell me how it performs on my system?

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on August 27, 2013, 10:38:38 AM
I would expect it to be available for preorders the night before for downloading since the game will ne huge and take up a gigantic memory footprint.

I think TW Shogun 2 and it's DLC takes up about 35GB of hard drive space.   :o

If everyone's trying to download the new one from Steam, at the same time, it'll be running at snail speed.

Gusington

Definitely. That's why I think they will allow DLs the night before. It makes no sense to not do that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

RooksBailey

Quote from: Bison on August 27, 2013, 07:07:30 AM
Is it a pre-release download?

I recall CA saying there would be a pre-release download because of the large installation footprint.  However, no further details have been released on that.  I expect we should hear something soon.  I can't imagine them not doing a pre-release install seeing how well the game is selling and the size of the download.  If they wait until launch day, Steam's servers are going to melt down!   ;D

They also announced that there is going to be a special Steam launcher coming with R2TW, one that will allow you to launch any of your TW games from the same screen, and even jump right into your saved game without having to sit through all the normal launch movies, etc.  CA is really going all out with this title!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

LongBlade

Quote from: tgb on August 27, 2013, 11:53:53 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 27, 2013, 11:17:14 AM
Any word on a demo?

Is that going to tell me how it performs on my system?

Yeah, that may be tougher to figure out. According to the product page on Steam:

QuoteMinimum
Processor:2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor
Memory:2GB RAM
Graphics:512 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible card (shader model 3, vertex texture fetch support).
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive:35 GB HD space
Additional:Screen Resolution - 1024x768

QuoteRecommended:
Processor:2nd Generation Intel Core i5 processor (or greater)
Memory:4GB RAM
Graphics:1024 MB DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.
DirectX®:11
Hard Drive:35 GB HD space
Additional:Screen Resolution - 1920x1080
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.