Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

You're Armenian? I am ethnically Azeri (not to be confused with Azzuri).

Prepare to die.

I think I have finally decided on a starting faction as long as I finish the Prologue tonight...Iceni.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^Holy moly Gus!  I did not know that.  Can we still be friends? 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Yskonyn

I have Polish ancestry. Where do I fit in? XD
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

Just be careful if both a German and a Russian sit on either side of you.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

German/Irish. I want to invade everyone but then get drunk and forget about it. Meng, I'm thinking about going down to "Easy" level and restarting as even on "Normal" the Pontics aren't doing too well for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 05, 2013, 10:43:11 AM
The Auto-resolve for battles is quite a bit different. You can now choose between different stances for your army to take, each with a predicted outcome as to how you will do. Tactical AI on "Normal" difficulity is pretty good. So far no susicide charges by the enemy General. Slingers seem to be over powered, with their Precise Shot skill activated they're deadly even against armored opponents.
That's not so bad. Roman armies preferred slingers to archers in the earlier period, partly because slingers were argued as more effective. Balearic slingers were reputed to use different slings for different ranges, and different slingshots ranging (excuse the pun) from lead bullets to stones. If not necessarily better at penetrative wounds like the bow, they more than made up for it with the concussive effect on armoured opponents. They would be comparatively lethal with the bow against unarmoured targets too.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: MengJiao on September 05, 2013, 11:15:38 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 05, 2013, 11:07:24 AM
I'm having a much tougher time as Pontus on "Normal". Took the first city from the Capps, then had to wait for Public order to rise before moving on. Meanwhile the Galatians declared war and the Capps sent an army against my eastern city. The Cappadocian army beat mine but then was defeated by my city garrison and withdrew. I have been able to direct my allies, Bithynia and Trapezios to concentrate against the Galatians and soon hope to go on the offensive again. I'm also at war with Cimmeria but they've only sent ships across the Black Sea so far. It's fun even if I'm completely sure what the hell I'm doing.

The normal world must be very different from the Easy World.  We the easy Pontics salute your alternative cosmos!  Unfortunately, in an Easy World, I was tempted to dabble in Egypto-Greco-Macedonian politics and as a result all my satrapies fell and the Armenians crushed Trapezios.  Even in an Easy World, the Armenians can be serious trouble.
My copy is due imminently. I am so envious of you guys who already have the game... :'(
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

Hard copy? That is so 375 BC.

Don't sweat it W8, I was kidding. I am actually Cambodian Orthodox.

My point being is that you never know who is hanging out here, so you don't want to call any group out as inherently evil even if you are convinced they are.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 05, 2013, 11:49:59 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2013, 10:37:32 AM
That is awesome about the differences between the Prologue and the real game. If i am intrigued by the Prologue I will love the rest.

+1

have played very sporadically due to work - it will receive a full battering this weekend

Well, that was my perception (and Jarhead's I believe) but I have no concrete evidence for it. Seems to be the conventional wisdom though

Ok, on the garrison front, the reason I asked about extra units is that my public unrest is through the roof and still dropping. When I plop an army down in the city, public order comes up. Of course, I can't waste armies like that. Any ideas how best to reduce unrest? My taxes are as low as possible
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Boggit

Quote from: W8taminute on September 05, 2013, 01:11:47 PM
^Holy moly Gus!  I did not know that.  Can we still be friends?
If Gus' family are from northern Azerbaijan, then genetically he is more likely to be related to the Armenians, and Georgians. If not his family are likely to be more closely related to the Persians, or Oghuz Turkmen.

What does this mean for w8aminute and Gus?

It determines whether Gus plays multiplayer using the Parthians/Seleukids (nearest big power?), as an ally, or as an enemy to w8's Armenians. Either way, it's only pixellated blood that gets spilt. ;D ;)

mikeck

HEY, new SLOWER BATTLES MOD

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618513-Radious-Moral-Mod-!!!!

If your Interested. Looks like it basically causes armies to fight longer resulting in higher casualties before retreat...so not a perfect fix
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 05, 2013, 01:57:34 PM
German/Irish. I want to invade everyone but then get drunk and forget about it. Meng, I'm thinking about going down to "Easy" level and restarting as even on "Normal" the Pontics aren't doing too well for me.

Well, the fun thing about easy mode is that you can make pretty big mistakes and still recover.  Makes for a pretty wild game with lots of extreme moments.  From my experience, you can still take a beating in easy mode, but you get a better chance of fixing your mistakes and getting back into the flow, which I think gives you the broad experience of the game more quickly and with less repetition than more difficult settings.  You can develop your understanding in easy mode and then refine it at more difficult settings.  That's my theory anyway.

Gusington

So is easy the new normal?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 05, 2013, 05:19:05 AM
Ok, I am still playing the Prologue.
Now have control over Salernum, Buxentum en Lucernum. The Samnites have only 2 settlements left. Their capital Bovianum and the settlement to the east of Bovianum sealing off the pass towards it.

I still have a cap on amount of standing armies I can have of 3. Is it possible to raise this number?

Yes, but it's tied to your Fame/Infamy (or whatever it's called in this one).  As you progress and expand, it'll hit certain points where you'll get a message saying that your army, navy, and agent limits have gone up.  So you don't necessarily just unlock it but your overall advancement sets the pace. 

I like the new system with restricted generals, and only being able to recruit with a general inside the province with the barracks structures. It makes for tough decisions since you're not allowed to have a buttload of armies running about with a constant stream of new units being sent through enemy territory.  :D

As you can see 2 of my 3 armies are tied to putting down civil unrest while I'd rather have them march onto Bovianum.
How would you proceed?

I've not played the prologue at all.  Just speaking from a full campain point of view, here. 

I'm finding it safer to leave my armies in newly captured cities for a few turns, until the biggest of the revolt modifiers tapers off and the negative amount every turn is much lower.  Move a .. Dignitary (?) agent into the province because they start off with a base +2 Order effect and they also get extra level-up skills that provide more order bonuses to the province they're in.  Just remember to set them on their tax collection action while standing there, mainly to gain xp and level up in teh future.  I've also been using a 3rd army as a domestic police force, keeping it stocked with a few primarily low-upkeep units, and garrisoning that in one of the cities of my worst province.  While still needing the other two frontline armies for awhile, after conquering a region, I can move a big one off before long and move the smaller one in to take over subjugation duties.

I've also been researching the first couple + stability unlocks fairly early in the game (along with the first Pop Growth one and some Culture conversion) for the nation wide bonus and the buildings.  It helps subdue unruly new conquests faster and as an added bonus the provinces with overall stability in the green get additional pop growth and tax income boosts.  Be sure to check all the pop-up tooltips on the Stability window (bottom left) when your province is selected.  The little symbols at the bottom also have an extra effect; some like the above high stability bonuses and others pertaining to random events.