Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: mikeck on September 05, 2013, 02:32:46 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 05, 2013, 11:49:59 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2013, 10:37:32 AM
That is awesome about the differences between the Prologue and the real game. If i am intrigued by the Prologue I will love the rest.

+1

have played very sporadically due to work - it will receive a full battering this weekend

Well, that was my perception (and Jarhead's I believe) but I have no concrete evidence for it. Seems to be the conventional wisdom though

Ok, on the garrison front, the reason I asked about extra units is that my public unrest is through the roof and still dropping. When I plop an army down in the city, public order comes up. Of course, I can't waste armies like that. Any ideas how best to reduce unrest? My taxes are as low as possible

The best way to improve public order long term is through your building upgrades and society techs.  Temples and amphitheaters are really good at reducing the negative public order.  Newly conquered cities are an issue because they start with such a high disorder rating that almost requires a sitting army for the near term just to deal with possible insurrections.

Grim.Reaper

One thing I could never figure out with total war games is when you select your army and have them move to a spot in a formation, but the calvary during the move does not stay in formation but always ends up passing the lined troops in front of them.  When doing a march like that, they should stay in the back an set their pace appropriately not to pass up the walking troops.

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2013, 02:26:36 PM
Hard copy? That is so 375 BC.
Yep! I like my games ancient - and with a backup disk! Call me old fashioned.... :P
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: mikeck on September 05, 2013, 02:42:53 PM
HEY, new SLOWER BATTLES MOD

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618513-Radious-Moral-Mod-!!!!

If your Interested. Looks like it basically causes armies to fight longer resulting in higher casualties before retreat...so not a perfect fix
I'm a bit concerned. Ancient battles were typically a slugging match until morale broke, usually arising from being hit in the flank. Most casualties were killed in the rout if you give much credit to ancient sources. Whilst I love TW, battlefields often resemble the Somme from heavy missile fire, and that's before you get to melee.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2013, 02:26:36 PM
Don't sweat it W8, I was kidding. I am actually Cambodian Orthodox.

My point being is that you never know who is hanging out here, so you don't want to call any group out as inherently evil even if you are convinced they are.

I understand what you mean.  You're right.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Boggit

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2013, 05:57:33 PM
One thing I could never figure out with total war games is when you select your army and have them move to a spot in a formation, but the calvary during the move does not stay in formation but always ends up passing the lined troops in front of them.  When doing a march like that, they should stay in the back an set their pace appropriately not to pass up the walking troops.
I agree, unless the infantry go into open order to let them through. If you do that will Tiller games for instance, both the cavalry AND the infantry get disrupted. It doesn't hurt that way in TW.

mikeck

Quote from: Boggit on September 05, 2013, 06:14:37 PM

If your Interested. Looks like it basically causes armies to fight longer resulting in higher casualties before retreat...so not a perfect fix
I'm a bit concerned. Ancient battles were typically a slugging match until morale broke, usually arising from being hit in the flank. Most casualties were killed in the rout if you give much credit to ancient sources. Whilst I love TW, battlefields often resemble the Somme from heavy missile fire, and that's before you get to melee.

I agree. I just don't see what is so difficult that CA cannot make it harder to kill a person. Not more hit points, just harder for a unit to actually strike based on armor and such. Less hits equals less kills which equals longer and more realistic fights. I won't use this mod because its ridiculous to think a unit would fight until 80% casualties. Most units are combat ineffective at about 30-40%.

But all that aside, it's total war...it's fun and not designed to be a historical combat simulator.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

Thanks W8. I will take my mod hat off now. It's not often I put it on here anyway.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: mikeck on September 05, 2013, 07:04:43 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 05, 2013, 06:14:37 PM

I agree. I just don't see what is so difficult that CA cannot make it harder to kill a person. Not more hit points, just harder for a unit to actually strike based on armor and such. Less hits equals less kills which equals longer and more realistic fights. I won't use this mod because its ridiculous to think a unit would fight until 80% casualties. Most units are combat ineffective at about 30-40%.

But all that aside, it's total war...it's fun and not designed to be a historical combat simulator.
I totally agree with you Mikeck :)

Boggit

I think in many ways, exhaustion/combat fatigue should be the principal cause for rout rather than casualties, which is when the killing really begins. But then TW does model exhaustion, so it's not all bad.

Gusington

Alright, finished the Prologue. Now to choose...Rome or the Iceni for a real campaign? Both are rated as 'Easy,' both have great rosters, and both have decent starting positions (the Iceni moreso than Rome, IMHO, but Rome aint bad.) Decisions...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

It ain't called Total War: Iceni II.

Gusington

Maybe it should be. The Iceni are bad ass. They wear woad and hippie pants.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Multiplayer is kind of borked right now.  We've played the same turn 3 times now.  I've won the battle each time and each time one of has the game crash.  grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Not sure really what this is due too.  But it seems based on the CA forums that there are some issues with games becoming desynched and saves corrupted.

Jarhead0331

Seem to have experienced a pretty interesting, and annoying bug.  I was at war with Carthage, as were Syracuse and a few African powers.  One of the African nations sacked Cathargo.  I got a pop up next turn indicating that Carthage was destroyed as a faction. Then, the following turn, control of Cathargo magically flipped to Carthage again and I received a message from the advisor congratulating me for making peace with an enemy. When I attacked Cathargo on the next turn, I was warned that I was breaking a treaty and now my reputation fell from "steadfast" to "unreliable."

So this bug seemed to have magically respawned a destroyed faction, magically made peace with my empire and then totally screwed my reputation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18