Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK.

So I'm 27 hours into the game. I think Rome II is a better turn-based game than Rome I. I still liked the micromanagement of Rome I better. Understanding city development and tech trees was easier in Rome I.

But this is growing on me. I'm enjoying not having to fight as many tactical battles, though they're still needed from time to time.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mikeck

As you research new tech and build new buildings, more buildings will become available. So your not limited to what your building on turn 27 (which you may know)

I think I  going to install one of the mods that reduces the attrition when you put a town under seige. The level now is ridonkulous
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bison

We need to encourage LB's love of games that are not Orcs Must Die 2!   Good job and LB keep mustering your legions until the Mediterranean is subdued to the rule of Rome.

Sir Slash

WHAT? There are no orcs in this game? >:( >:( >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on September 17, 2013, 09:40:03 PM
We need to encourage LB's love of games that are not Orcs Must Die 2!   

LOL

I'm surprised something has pulled him away!  :D

undercovergeek

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 17, 2013, 10:50:34 PM

not yet

Gusington

So I did not know that I needed to restart my PC to get fhe latest patch last night. I was all excited to try it out and wound up playing without it. Patched it up after last night's session.

While playing I lost Corsica to Carthage and Carthaginian rebels. My garrisons were just too small to stop them. These regions were never happy either, always miserable while Italy is thriving. So I am going to focus on cutting a swath of terror through the Alps, maybe into Germany or the Hellespont.

Once I beef up a bit I will swoop down again and take Corsica and Sardinia back, maybe take Carthage first this time.

So...still looking forward to the new patch :/ Weird how this one required a restart of the machine...none of the others have.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Too late!  The Persians exterminated the Orcs when they took Barad-Dur and other Assyrian fortresses in the late 7th Century BCE.

LongBlade

I'm using the next best thing: my campaign is as the Suebi. So far I've managed to conquer most of Eastern Europe. Game is on Don't Hurt Me mode. Too many ways to blunder at the default level, at least for me.

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on September 17, 2013, 09:33:14 PM
As you research new tech and build new buildings, more buildings will become available. So your not limited to what your building on turn 27 (which you may know)

I think I  going to install one of the mods that reduces the attrition when you put a town under seige. The level now is ridonkulous

I'm not happy with how sieges work.

The first thing I figured out was that if a town didn't have walls, you couldn't create siege engines. Makes sense, but the game didn't tell me why I wasn't creating them.

Second, it seems like besieging an unwalled town is tougher than a walled one. All the walled towns I attacked were pushovers and I let the AI handle it. Unwalled towns, however, are a real bitch. Most of the time I have to manually fight the battles. Something seems wonky about this. My mind keeps going to back to Alesia. When surrounding a town and the town wants to come out and fight, why is it that I have to go into the town to fight them? Why are there no rings of pointy wooden stakes around the town to channel the defenders into places my army would want them?

I also can't figure out why my army, with double the number of troops, is calculated to lose by the AI on auto-resolve. Sometimes I don't think the AI is counting my units properly. I'd really like to know what's happening under the hood to better understand this.

I'm just not in love with how sieges are handled at all.

Sir Slash

I had a shocking turn of events in my Rome campaign. Carthage had fallen and was controlled by Punic Rebels. So I sent 2 armies and a fleet down to take it and when we got there it a Syracuse fleet of 4 units was blockading the port. So I landed my forces and approached from the land side but couldn't attack the city. When I hit "End Turn", a battle screen came up with my forces and the Syracuse fleet vs the Punic Rebels. I thought they must be coming-out against me and since the auto-resolve was a sure win I hit it and won easily but didn't get the city. My next turn I see Carthage belongs to Syracuse. They had attacked Carthage and used my forces to help them take the city! Dammit! And didn't even thank me. I put a Syra-cussing on the Syra-cusians for sure.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 18, 2013, 10:56:41 AM
I had a shocking turn of events in my Rome campaign. Carthage had fallen and was controlled by Punic Rebels. So I sent 2 armies and a fleet down to take it and when we got there it a Syracuse fleet of 4 units was blockading the port. So I landed my forces and approached from the land side but couldn't attack the city. When I hit "End Turn", a battle screen came up with my forces and the Syracuse fleet vs the Punic Rebels. I thought they must be coming-out against me and since the auto-resolve was a sure win I hit it and won easily but didn't get the city. My next turn I see Carthage belongs to Syracuse. They had attacked Carthage and used my forces to help them take the city! Dammit! And didn't even thank me. I put a Syra-cussing on the Syra-cusians for sure.

You must have had at least a defensive alliance with Syracuse.  Did they pay you for it?

So sometimes it doesn't pay to have too many allies --- even defensive allies get the city when you back them up in a seige battle.  This happened to me last night.  I was Carthage and at war with Rome.  The Etruscans were still holding out (my fleet had defeated the roman fleet off Corsica).  One of my armies approached Brindisium.  the next turn Epirus placed B. under seige and paid for a defensive alliance.  The Turn after that they got the city with my support.  Since then it seems like all the cities in Italy and Sicily were captured a couple of times.  I ended up with Rome and Syracuse while Epirus re-took B. and the Romans took everything else.  So I suppose it was just as well to have Epirus as an ally.  The Romans are asking me to pay them for Peace.  Which is sneaky since, if I pay them, my armies will be too expensive to field and they might pay Epirus to switch sides.  Eprius is pretty sneaky.

Nefaro

That's exactly what happened to me once, too.  Ended up winning a city for my neighbors whom I had a Defensive Alliance with.

Also note that when you DOW a neighbor, many of it's neighbors will also declare war on it, sensing an easy gain.  So be careful to keep your armies out of other allied armies' zones or you'll end up having to help them fight their battles.

Quote from: MengJiao on September 18, 2013, 08:25:15 AM

Too late!  The Persians exterminated the Orcs when they took Barad-Dur and other Assyrian fortresses in the late 7th Century BCE.

Or maybe...

Revenge Of The Hittites!!  ;D

Sir Slash

No Defensive Alliance with Syracuse. A Non-Aggression Pact and Trade deal only. I wonder if I had fought the battle out myself and won the Capture Points in the city, if I would have gotten the city then?

Bison

I suspect because you chose to auto resolve the Syracuse army got credit for occupying the victory flag and you didn't.