Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I was in our local Target today and saw Rome II on the shelves.  I couldn't resist buying it, even at full price, because it's been ages since I've actually seen a PC game on store shelves that's worth buying. 

Oh dear...what have I done?

Installing disk 2 of 3 as we speak...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Welcome to the Hive Wait-a-minute. Resistance is futile. Who you gonna play first?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

^Don't know yet.  Although all 3 disks are now installed there is the 10 step first time play setup it seems to be going through now.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Boggit

My Roman galleys got hammered the other night by a selection of Samnite Transports...!!! I thought transports were going to be easy, but was wrong. A couple rammed my ships, and the rest javelinned my assault ships into nothing. I agree that naval combat is more of a challenge.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on September 26, 2013, 10:02:04 PM
^Don't know yet.  Although all 3 disks are now installed there is the 10 step first time play setup it seems to be going through now.

Well.. it's on Steam, so you may have to re-download the whole damn thing too.  :P

I highly recommend opting-in on Beta 3, in the game's Properties page.  It has made some marked improvements.

undercovergeek

yeah, i dont understand what the disks are for - i fell for this with Empire, bought the discs and still had to download thru steam

tgb

The discs are to make the less-Steam-savvy consumer feel like they are taking something home for the money.  I remember when I bought Shogun II from GamersGate - I waited something like 3 hours for it to download from the GG site, and another 3 to download it from Steam.

Gusington

It seems like this third patch is taking longer than the first two to become unbeta...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Boggit on September 26, 2013, 10:03:40 PM
My Roman galleys got hammered the other night by a selection of Samnite Transports...!!! I thought transports were going to be easy, but was wrong. A couple rammed my ships, and the rest javelinned my assault ships into nothing. I agree that naval combat is more of a challenge.

Transports are tricky, but I think the ships themselves aren't very strong or fast compared to warships.  They seem to have one specific trick at least:  turning broadside to invite a ram and then mobbing the rammer.  I vaguely recall the last time I saw a lot of transports I made sure to sort of ball them up before I set a few on fire and then finished them off by ramming.  I apparently have learned to avoid going straight in to ram them.  It's possible they were under "row-fast" orders and their morale collapsed once some burning and ramming occurred.

I find naval battles very challenging.  I can win land battles even with almost 2-1 odds in favor of the AI, but at sea all bets are off and even when the assessor says its even the AI has a very good chance of doing some serious damage or handing me a close defeat.

Bison

The way troop transports are handled in this game is my least favorite aspect of the game. 

W8taminute

Actually once the disks (the system actually asks you to load disk 2 of 3 and then 3 of 3 and I heard the disk tray spinning) were installed the only thing downloaded from STEAM was the patch.  I didn't have to wait very long at all so I'm not understanding the claim that you take home the disks and wait for 100000GB download from STEAM. 

Now I definitely recall waiting a long time for Napoleon to install from STEAM even though I purchased the physical copy (from Target :) ) so that was kind of bewildering. 

Anyway can't wait to sit down with this game over the weekend.  I'll check out that Beta 3 you mentioned as well Nefaro.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2013, 07:57:01 AM
It seems like this third patch is taking longer than the first two to become unbeta...

They've been making improvements to Beta 3.  I think there's been two or three additional updates to it.  The latest one made a BIG difference to the gfx performance on the campaign map for me.

Quote from: Bison on September 27, 2013, 08:34:23 AM
The way troop transports are handled in this game is my least favorite aspect of the game.

I saw mention of the devs taking a look at making transports less powerful, and upping the actual naval vessels strength. 

At this point, there's not much sense in building a navy since you can get dual-use by sending a ground army into the sea.

Sir Slash

I was looking through the Total War site last pm and there's a crapload of mods out already including 2 new unit mods by Radious that look splendid. I'm going to wait until the patches are all straight before trying one out though and I hope that at some point Steam will support mods the way they did for Shogun 2.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on September 27, 2013, 09:12:02 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2013, 07:57:01 AM

They've been making improvements to Beta 3.  I think there's been two or three additional updates to it.  The latest one made a BIG difference to the gfx performance on the campaign map for me.

Quote from: Bison on September 27, 2013, 08:34:23 AM

I saw mention of the devs taking a look at making transports less powerful, and upping the actual naval vessels strength. 

At this point, there's not much sense in building a navy since you can get dual-use by sending a ground army into the sea.

I haven't tried this.  Usually the land armies have enough to do without getting sent to sea.  I was wondering what kind of Ships the Elephants end up with.  Probably just a handfull of missile troops per elephant unit.  Similarly with cavalry.  Not much nautical punch with a cavalry unit I suspect.  Often I use Fleets as units to strengthen garrisons in cities that are likely to suffer some attacks but nothing too big.

I've been thinking the other way around: what's the best fleet to drop its troops into a land battle?  But maybe there's some other optimum: what's the best land army to use in a sea battle?  Lots of archers.  A few swordsmen?  No elephants.

Sir Slash

I bet it's damned hard to get elephants to row together. I wonder if defensively you can deploy your ship-troops inside a city or do they have to be deployed at sea to begin with? I assaulted a city which had ships lining it's docks and so my own ships couldn't land there. Docks and the beach inside the walls I should say. If you can use your empty ships to block access to landing points, that opens up a whole new tactic for them.