Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I through glee into all the wells around me. And in the game too.

I am heartened to see that 'Geek is seeing what has been happening to me first hand, as is mike.

I am not as weak and milquetoasty as I felt I was.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Ok, some props here for the campaign AI/diplo. Egypt had been at war with Libya and Carthage forever and kept asking me to join and I refused. Eventually, they beat Libya but were pretty bad off Nd Carthage had taken Thapsus.  Later, Carthage declared war on me and I called in my Allies (Egypt, whom I had since allied with after they defeated Libya, and Athens. Immediately...like next turn, Egypt  sent a stack (about 10 units but they had been at war for awile) to attack Thapsus from the east. I attacked Carthage from the west. I began to get concerned about the number of Carthaginian fleets and nova Carthage fleets sailing around as they were raiding my cities in Sicily.

3 turns after the war started , 2 big ass Athenian fleets show up along the coast of Africa and destroy one Carthaginian fleet while chasing off another. Over the next few turns, I took. Carthage, Egypt took Thapsus and although Athens didn't sink anymore fleets, they chased a bunch away and even landed a small contingent of troops at Syracuse(which I owned).

Just nice to see allies actually coming to help out. I expected Egypt
To get in on it since they were next door and already at war....but I was REALLY surprised that Athens contribute 2 big fleets. Since then I have formed a mlitary alliance between me (Rome), Athens, Sparta and Knossos. Nice little alliance. Sparta and I have the troops and Athens and Knossos have the navy. We got into a dust up with one of the smaller Greek states that declared on Macedonia (which was allied with Sparta) so we all joined in and pummeled them. I contributed two agents to assassinate a general and screw with the army's movement since Sparta and Macedonia had plenty of troops.

Good fun man...it's not perfect but it's nice to fight with allies and not have them either attack you next turn or do nothing while you are getting throttled.

At some point, I'm imterested In seeing how my legions do against the Greek phalanxes. They tore through the Carthaginian hoplites. Hope they aren't overpowered.

Also, with the 4 turns/ per year mod, I really get to like my generals. The one commanding legio 1 received a triumph after taking Carthage. His stats are 10-9-8 and he is a night fighter. I'm at the point now that I don't get him anywhere near the front line.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

You'll let me know when this beta patch is officially released, right?

With all the talk of the AI improvements, I'll probably start a new vanilla game after any kinks are worked out of this update and it goes official.  :D

Gusington

Should be soon, we've been using the beta for a week.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on January 29, 2014, 07:06:33 AM
You'll let me know when this beta patch is officially released, right?

With all the talk of the AI improvements, I'll probably start a new vanilla game after any kinks are worked out of this update and it goes official.  :D

It's pretty stable now actually. I go ahead,  download it, and start up. There still issues like every other total wargame since the beginning of time so don't think it's a perfect – but it's pretty damn good
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

something 147MB sized has just come down the line

More Iceni for gus tonight - im quite attached to my little blue fellas

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Little Blue Fellas"? I thought those were Smurfs. There must be something about the Smurfs in Britain I don't know about. ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Quote from: mikeck on January 28, 2014, 10:49:09 PM
Ok, some props here for the campaign AI/diplo. Egypt had been at war with Libya and Carthage forever and kept asking me to join and I refused. Eventually, they beat Libya but were pretty bad off Nd Carthage had taken Thapsus.  Later, Carthage declared war on me and I called in my Allies (Egypt, whom I had since allied with after they defeated Libya, and Athens. Immediately...like next turn, Egypt  sent a stack (about 10 units but they had been at war for awile) to attack Thapsus from the east. I attacked Carthage from the west. I began to get concerned about the number of Carthaginian fleets and nova Carthage fleets sailing around as they were raiding my cities in Sicily.

3 turns after the war started , 2 big ass Athenian fleets show up along the coast of Africa and destroy one Carthaginian fleet while chasing off another. Over the next few turns, I took. Carthage, Egypt took Thapsus and although Athens didn't sink anymore fleets, they chased a bunch away and even landed a small contingent of troops at Syracuse(which I owned).

Just nice to see allies actually coming to help out. I expected Egypt
To get in on it since they were next door and already at war....but I was REALLY surprised that Athens contribute 2 big fleets. Since then I have formed a mlitary alliance between me (Rome), Athens, Sparta and Knossos. Nice little alliance. Sparta and I have the troops and Athens and Knossos have the navy. We got into a dust up with one of the smaller Greek states that declared on Macedonia (which was allied with Sparta) so we all joined in and pummeled them. I contributed two agents to assassinate a general and screw with the army's movement since Sparta and Macedonia had plenty of troops.

Good fun man...it's not perfect but it's nice to fight with allies and not have them either attack you next turn or do nothing while you are getting throttled.

At some point, I'm imterested In seeing how my legions do against the Greek phalanxes. They tore through the Carthaginian hoplites. Hope they aren't overpowered.

Also, with the 4 turns/ per year mod, I really get to like my generals. The one commanding legio 1 received a triumph after taking Carthage. His stats are 10-9-8 and he is a night fighter. I'm at the point now that I don't get him anywhere near the front line.
Gah, stop making me salivate, mikeck!  Must stay strong... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 29, 2014, 11:20:20 AM
"Little Blue Fellas"? I thought those were Smurfs. There must be something about the Smurfs in Britain I don't know about. ;D

Geek is a Smurf. Did you not know?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mikeck

The one concern I do have is the barbarians up north. They seem to be awfully quiet I like to see you little bit more activity up in that area because I'm coming for them next. Except for the Etruscans I haven't had much of a competition lately so I'd like to see some guys team up on me give me something to fight. My concern is if I turn it up from normal to hard I'll get monkey stomped

Gusington

Be careful what you wish for. Remember, I commented that I thought my Iceni campaign wss feeling a tad bit too easy and WHAM...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Just at ballet with junior and then I'm on the woad again.... Ha ha ha

I make myself laugh sometimes

Gusington

Remember, looks aren't everything.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 29, 2014, 01:53:29 PM
Just at ballet with junior and then I'm on the woad again.... Ha ha ha

I make myself laugh sometimes

Ha, ha, indeed.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!