PS4 Catalog Expanding

Started by Jarhead0331, March 24, 2014, 10:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Well, finally have some good options on the PS4. I recently picked up Metal Gear Solid V and inFamous Second Son. So far I have been spending most of my time with inFamous. Its a lot of fun with some really great effects and destructible environments.  Good times.

MGS is getting pretty good reviews too and its supposed to look its best on the PS4. I've only played for about 10 minutes so far, so I'll post more impressions as I dig deeper.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I love the inFamous duology on the PS3, but considering how many years it took me to finally buy a PS3, and how early inF1 was released, I imagine I'll be awhile getting around to the PS4.

It's a shame because if they had had backwards compatibility (and really that could have been done, including PS2 compatability), that would have been a day one purchase. Alas, back to my PC. (And, um, all the PS3 games I still haven't played. And PS2 games. .... and PS1 games...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 25, 2014, 01:17:27 PM
I love the inFamous duology on the PS3, but considering how many years it took me to finally buy a PS3, and how early inF1 was released, I imagine I'll be awhile getting around to the PS4.

It's a shame because if they had had backwards compatibility (and really that could have been done, including PS2 compatability), that would have been a day one purchase. Alas, back to my PC. (And, um, all the PS3 games I still haven't played. And PS2 games. .... and PS1 games...)

To necro a bit; Sony has mentioned that they are looking at ways to offer older games emulated on the PS4 via some kind of service in the future. It might even go back to PSone games, or so the word it out on the streets.
An equivalent for Sony of Nintendo's Virtual Console would be nice.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

They've said they were aiming to do this from the beginning, but if I have to rebuy their games, that doesn't count. I very much didn't like having to rebuy Dynasty Tactics 2 in order to conveniently play it on the PS3; and I will very much not like having to rebuy it again for the PS4. Much less every fricking game I own for the PS3. (Or the PS2 for that matter. Or the PS1 for that matter.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Yskonyn

Aha! Yes that puts it in a different perspective. But aren't your ps3 games registered to your PSn account?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Only the ones I bought over PSN -- which aren't many. Most of my games come on 100% real plastic, or whatever Blus are made of.

PSN has always been (and still is) designed so poorly for content management, and the games are so rarely on sale of any kind, and it takes so long to download them when I want to re-install and play again, that I've almost always bought Blu -- if I'm going to pay full-or-near-full price anyway I might as well get a hard copy; which I can sometimes find on a better sale (or resell). And the Blus don't register with PSN.

W8taminute

^PSN on the PS4 is so much faster and more efficient than the PS3 version.  I've downloaded quite a few demos and free games that come with PS+ and am quite pleased with the download speed.  The only game that took forever to download was War Thunder but that game is so worth the wait!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Yskonyn

Funny thing is I changed my router from a Belkin to a TP-Link model. Both had the PS4 on a wired connection to throughout should have been the same as they are both gigabit routers, but the new router gives me an average download on PSN of 80mbit (I have a 120mbit line) while the old router only gave me 12mbit on average. Weird eh?

Anyway, the Last of Us Remastered is out for PS4. Definately recommend getting that game if you like strong emotional stories and zombie themes.