Mark Walker Announces Flying Pig Games

Started by bayonetbrant, December 01, 2014, 11:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.flyingpiggames.com/home.html

QuoteHi People,

Mark Walker here, and I have big news this week. It's the news I've been hinting at for the past month. I'm excited, like Christmas morning when I was ten excited,

to announce the founding of my new game company, Flying Pig Games . We hope to become a significant, yet also significantly different, strategy game company - a company without boundaries, a company that publishes strategy games, war games, and magazines that meet only one criteria... they are fun.

You can visit our minty-fresh website and study our first game, Night of Man, as well as our independent strategy and wargame magazine, Yaah! by clicking here, or the logo above.

Effective immediately, I have resigned as lead designer for Lock 'n Load Publishing. I wish Lock 'n Load Publishing the best of luck, and thank our customers for their support.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Looking forward to seeing what new stuff he can come up with.

RooksBailey

Night of Man sounds really good!

http://www.flyingpiggames.com/night-of-man.html

QuoteNight of Man is a card-driven, tactical board game. Set in a post-alien-invasion-of-Earth universe, the squads, heroes, and tanks of Earth's Militia battle against powerful aliens with enhanced power armor, hover tanks, Mechs (Ya, I need a better name.), and spider-like robots. 

In each turn gamers draw up to a four card hand and may play a card, sometimes more, in each impulse. The cards activate units to move, fire, assault, and use special powers, such as explosive rounds, telekinesis, and more. Special cards, such as critical hit or bullet storm, can also enhance a unit's attacks.

Each turn continues until three end turn cards have been drawn. Players then choose one card from their hand to keep, the administrative markers are removed from the board, and a new hand is dealt to each player. The players use that new hand, or the card kept from the previous turn, to bid for initiative in the new turn.

Night of Man ships with numerous scenarios, as well as a point system that allows gamers to put together their own battles in no time flat. Coming to Kickstarter soon. Real soon.

I love how tactical sci-fi games are so much more common in the world of board games and minis than they are in the world of PC games!  Wonder why that is....
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Ubercat

I thought Mark WAS LnL. The principal owner, anyway.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Barthheart

Mark sold LnLP a year ago March. He was just an employee/designer until now. The Lock 'n Load line of games will continue under the control of Jeff Lewis of LnLP.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Ubercat on December 01, 2014, 07:53:23 PM

He was until about 18 months ago.  He sold to Jim Crabtree, who sold to David Heath.  Mark hasn't owned LNLP for almost 2 years.  He just left as the lead wargame designer in the past few weeks.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Don't any of you guys read our front page?!

http://grogheads.com/?p=2165
August of 2013!  ::)

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 01, 2014, 08:07:41 PM

Don't any of you guys read our front page?!

http://grogheads.com/?p=2165
August of 2013!  ::)

Clearly there's a lack of promotional strategy :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

^ +1.

It must be weird to found a company, sell it, and then leave it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Ubercat

Quote from: Toonces on December 01, 2014, 10:27:07 PM

^ +1.

It must be weird to found a company, sell it, and then leave it.

How many times do people found a company, take it public, and then get kicked out by boards of directors? Seems to happen a lot and seems kind of .. repugnant .. to me every time I hear of it.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

that's not really what happened here. It was an amicable split

panzerde

If someone was to come along and give me a decent valuation for my company, I'd sell it tomorrow. Then, I'd take the money and go start something else interesting. Companies tend to be a lot more fun to start than to run, I find.

In any case, I'm glad to hear Mark is starting something new. I'm very much looking forward to his new games, and I'm eager to see what the new(-ish) LnL crew now do, too.

Having more talented and excited publishers can in no way be a bad thing.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Ubercat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 01, 2014, 10:48:42 PM
that's not really what happened here. It was an amicable split

I got that. I don't think they're a public company anyway. I was just remarking that I hear of it happening a lot. One of the founders of Apple, for example.

- Thomas Sowell

weateallthepies

That's one fugly logo, best of luck though.

I really dislike his rulebook writing style, but he does make interesting games.

Slightly more interested in what LnL does with all the Two Hour Wargame stuff at the moment. Could be some really interesteing boardgames coming out of that deal.