Which game to go for?

Started by TacticalWargames, December 17, 2014, 06:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

I'm getting some money for Xmas and fancy getting a good solo boardgame. However not sure what to go for. The choice so far is...

1. Warfighter and expansions

2. Tiger Leader

3. D Day Omaha

I'm not normally a modern warfare gamer but like the idea of the scale of Warfighter. I know Tiger leader isn't out yet but maybe those who have played DVG games will have an idea on   how it will play.

I'm also open to a different DVG game like Phantom leader or Thunderbolt\Apache leader etc.

So any ideas? Or do you recommend something else?

Thanks

GJK

As mentioned before - get a copy of Pattons Best (I know of a copy for sale for $20 right now) and then after you thoroughly enjoy it as a boardgame, make the PC game version of it.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Thunderbolt Apache Leader is probably my favorite of the few I've played.  Tiger Leader is supposed to be a bit similar, also having the extra randomized terrain hex tile facet that I enjoyed over the other Leader series.  But I'm on the fence about Tiger Leader for a couple reasons.

Not played Warfighter yet despite having it since release.  Fleet Commander Nimitz looks awesome so that may end up being my next target.

TacticalWargames

Warfighter sounds abit like a reworked Frontline D day game which I have but am yet to play it.

BanzaiCat

Warfighter is a good game, but the rulebook is easily the worst one DVG has put together thus far, unfortunately. That's not to say it's unplayable; it just raises a lot of questions that a good rulebook should NOT do.

From the three you've listed, I have Warfighter and D-Day Omaha (and D-Day Tarawa, too), as well as Phantom Leader Deluxe. I have the original version of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader from back in 1991 or whenever it was first published and it's easily one of my favorites. I was hoping to get a copy of the updated version to do a comparison/stand-alone review for them but no response thus far. In any case, based on the reviews, T/A Leader is probably a good choice as it's got both the Warthog and the Apache. Phantom Leader is a good choice if you like the Vietnam air war. D-Day Omaha and Tarawa are both solid games too.

I'd hate to have to make one choice out of that group, but if I had to, I'd wait for Tiger Leader, another game on my radar that I'm hoping to get a hold of when it comes out. But that's just me.

All the games are solitaire-driven, so you can't really go wrong. It just depends on which theme appeals the most to you out of all of them.

TacticalWargames

Hmmm..thanks everyone..if I wait for TL release the likely hood is the money would have been whittled away..so I'd have to take a risk and go for pre order.vYet TL is the one that appeals theme wise more than most. Apparently the rulebook is similar to Thunderbolt\Apache leader which has great reviews so thats promising.

Another solo game I want is Field of Fire 2nd edition but thats prob a year away going by GMT newsletter.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on December 17, 2014, 06:57:13 PM
  But I'm on the fence about Tiger Leader for a couple reasons.

What troubles you about Tiger Leader? I've been kicking myself for not getting in on the Kickstarter.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TacticalWargames

Nothing to be honest. It sounds superb. I just usually like to see player reviews of games.

Staggerwing

I was referring to Nefaro's concerns.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TacticalWargames

jomni

Quote from: GJK on December 17, 2014, 06:12:50 PM
As mentioned before - get a copy of Pattons Best (I know of a copy for sale for $20 right now) and then after you thoroughly enjoy it as a boardgame, make the PC game version of it.  ;)

Would love to have a PC version of this to do the bookkeeping.

GJK

Does the scale of TL (Kampfgruppe) appeal to you more than crewing a single, individual tank? (question for TW)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 17, 2014, 08:06:36 PM

What troubles you about Tiger Leader? I've been kicking myself for not getting in on the Kickstarter.

The component artwork previews I've seen were all disappointing.  Granted, much of the other DVG titles' artwork isn't all that great but it's not universally the case.  The look of the components in Tiger Leader just looks like it's missing a lot of detail;  dead & uninspiring to me. 

The other holdup is that it's WW2, of course.  From the information on the components, it's pretty much Thunderbolt Apache Leader in a Panzer flavor.  I'd rather just bust out TAL and get down in the grass with A-10s, Apaches, F-16s, etc than use the same system for Panzers. 

Hell.. I have yet to play Patton's Best, despite having it for months, because I rarely get WW2 urges anymore after a lifetime of it being heaped upon my various gaming hobbies in disproportionate numbers.  At least with something like FC:Nimitz, it would be the subject of naval warfare which hasn't been quite so widespread and in-your-face.

Maybe it's just something in the name, at this point.  When I see something with "Panzer" or "Tiger" in the title, I usually don't even bother looking anymore.  ;D 

I enjoy the TAL system but the subject matter in Tiger Leader is lower on my list than other titles they offer. I had hoped that the look of the game components would be more mood inspiring, but the ones I've seen were not. 

GJK

Personally, I would go with something that is "proven" and by that I mean has a very good or great rating on BGG (or elsewhere).  Just because it's spanking new isn't going to make it better.  Now TL may turn out to be one hell of a game, but I see the cost of it going for $60+ where as a similar themed game (again, Patton's Best) can be had for $20 and it is a damn fine game.  There's also user created mods that would put you in a Tiger or T-34.

There's a whole thread on solitaire games so you might peruse it.  Carrier is absolutely my most favorite solitaire game but you're going to pay a hefty price for it because even after all of these years, it's still in high demand *and* it's OOP.

I think the best approach would be to see what era and scale of game it is that you'd most like to play and then see what is available that fits that description.  From your original post, you've limited yourself to what is brand spanking new (and yet unproven) but maybe that's what appeals to you as well - however there's still a lot of 20+ year old games that are new and in the shrink wrap. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 17, 2014, 09:34:01 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 17, 2014, 08:06:36 PM

The component artwork previews I've seen were all disappointing.  Granted, much of the other DVG titles' artwork isn't all that great but it's not universally the case.  The look of the components in Tiger Leader just looks like it's missing a lot of detail;  dead & uninspiring to me. 

The other holdup is that it's WW2, of course.  From the information on the components, it's pretty much Thunderbolt Apache Leader in a Panzer flavor.  I'd rather just bust out TAL and get down in the grass with A-10s, Apaches, F-16s, etc than use the same system for Panzers. 

Hell.. I have yet to play Patton's Best, despite having it for months, because I rarely get WW2 urges anymore after a lifetime of it being heaped upon my various gaming hobbies in disproportionate numbers.  At least with something like FC:Nimitz, it would be the subject of naval warfare which hasn't been quite so widespread and in-your-face.

Maybe it's just something in the name, at this point.  When I see something with "Panzer" or "Tiger" in the title, I usually don't even bother looking anymore.  ;D 

I enjoy the TAL system but the subject matter in Tiger Leader is lower on my list than other titles they offer. I had hoped that the look of the game components would be more mood inspiring, but the ones I've seen were not.

I have to agree... the more I looked into it, the more it just seemed like TAL on the ground.  I am 50/50 at this point, but I am trying to find something that makes me think this system is unique to TAL.... FC Nimitz is a new twist on the FC system and feels like a different game, Tiger feels like Thunderbolts with tracks.... but Nef could be wrong :-P

PE