"and they shall reap the whirlwind"

Started by nelmsm, June 15, 2023, 11:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelmsm

I've seen where that was part of a quote from Air Marshal Harris when talking about the bombing of Germany.  I've started a campaign using Target for Tonight to see if I can eke out 30 missions in my Lancaster bomber, Patricia Ann.  Named after my dear mother who kept me safe all those years I was a lad.  Just hope her namesake can do the same in the skies over Germany.

nelmsm

Mission 1 - Essen, Germany

Take off was uneventful and the crew was looking forward to a good trip to Essen and back.  We were in the last 1/3 of the bomber stream which isn't the best place to be but no moon and being able to form up without a collision was a good start.  In Zone 2 we were intercepted right off the bat by a Me110 F-4 and an He219 A-0.  The gunners managed to drive off the Me110 with enough damage he didn't return.  However, the He219 turned out to be a more difficult foe.  On it's first pass he managed to knock out the tail guns and the tail gunner's heat and in the second pass he knocked out the oxygen to the front center section.  Difficult choice but we decided to descend to 10,000 ft and continue on to Essen.
  We evidently managed to escape detection in Zone 3 but in Zone 4 we were paid a visit by a Ju88 C-6 caused no damage and was shot down by the Mid Upper Gunner and the Bomb Aimer.  Zone 5 saw us get a random event rather then a fighter attack and the bomb aimer got a Lucky Rabbit's Foot.  Going to save that for the bomb run. 
  We arrived at Zone 6 which was the location of tonight's target.  Ran into medium flak but even though it was all around it all missed.  We got picked up by an Me110-G-4 which unfortunately attacked our tail where we had no guns.  It scored 5 hits.  Four of them were for the tail turret or tail gunner, who had moved to man the ventral gun, and the only one that mattered caused a light wound for the Mid Upper Gunner.  However, even with the Bomb Aimer's Lucky Rabbit's Foot we were off target for 0% accuracy.  We received one flak hit after the searchlights picked us up on the outbound but it only caused superficial damage.  We did get picked up by another fighter on the turn around but it only caused damage to our dinghy so here's hoping we don't have to ditch.
  Zone 5 saw us escape detection apparently but Zone 4 saw the Germans send two fighters after us, an Me110 G-4 and an He219 A-0.  The He219 was shot down by the skillful tail gunner who was now manning the ventral turret.  However, the Me110 found our weakness in attacking from the 6 Level position.  It missed it's shot on it's first pass but scored two on the second.  One was superficial damage and the second finished shredding our portside dinghy. 
  Zone 3 saw another Me110 G-4 but it made 2 passes without hitting a thing.  We were getting confident about getting home when we hit Zone 2 but that confidence was misplaced.  We were jumped by a Do217 N-2 from our 6 level position and that pilot could shoot.  It scored 8 hits!  However they were all hits on the vacant tail turret gunner or the already destroyed tail guns.  One hit on the starboard wing that only caused superficial damage.  It apparently lost contact after the first pass though as we did not see it again.  Finally hit Zone 1 and what lovely site it was.  Weather was good and we managed to safely land.  All crew were okay except the light wound to the Mid Upper Gunner and he will be able to fly the next mission, which is going to take us to Krefeld Germany.  Ground crews are patching up the holes and fixing the damage guns and O2 system and we'll be ready to take the Patricia Ann to the skies once more.

JasonPratt

What system are you gaming this with?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

I think, based off of his first post, he's using Target for Tonight board game.

https://www.legionwargames.com/legion_TTN.html
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

nelmsm

Quote from: W8taminute on June 16, 2023, 10:06:47 AMI think, based off of his first post, he's using Target for Tonight board game.

https://www.legionwargames.com/legion_TTN.html

That would be right, Target for Tonight.

nelmsm

Mission 2 - Krefeld, Germany

It was a relatively quiet inbound leg with only a few fighter attacks and they all missed or were driven off.  Weather over the target was clear but we got lucky with the flak inbound and only received 3 superficial hits.  Bomb aimer was able to put 30% of our bombs on target.  Got caught in the searchlights outbound and heavy flak managed to get a hit on our that scored one rudder hit but one fighter pass was all that accompanied it.  Made it all the way back to Zone 2 without incident but then things went to hell.  A lone Me110 G-4 attacked from the 6 high position.  Middle Upper Gunner got hits on it but it managed to score 3 hits on us.  One knocked the tail guns out, one was caused only superficial damage, but the third scored a lucky hit on our hydraulic oil reservoir which quickly drained.  Meaning we had no landing gear or flaps for landing.  Not good!
  Ended up with poor weather over the base to just add insult to injury.  The Patricia Ann was wrecked upon landing.  The Bomb Aimer, Pilot, Navigator, and Tail Gunner all received minor injuries.  The Flight Engineer and Mid Upper Gunner both received injuries serious enough that they will not be flying again.  The Wireless Operator/Gunner unfortunately was killed. 
  Look later for the adventures of the Patricia Ann II as our next mission will test the range of the Lancaster as we head to sunny Italy for a visit to La Spezia.

W8taminute

That was a pretty nerve wracking mission.  At least most of the crew made it home to fight again.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

nelmsm

Quote from: W8taminute on June 20, 2023, 07:13:52 AMThat was a pretty nerve wracking mission.  At least most of the crew made it home to fight again.

I probably had one of the most dejected faces ever when I rolled snake eyes on that hit table and saw what the result was.

W8taminute

Quote from: nelmsm on June 20, 2023, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on June 20, 2023, 07:13:52 AMThat was a pretty nerve wracking mission.  At least most of the crew made it home to fight again.

I probably had one of the most dejected faces ever when I rolled snake eyes on that hit table and saw what the result was.

There are times when I play a physical war game that I go into re-roll the dice until I get the result I want or I'll burn this game up in the fireplace!!

But that's only if I've worked so hard on getting one side to achieve something only to have it thwarted by a random bad roll. 

nelmsm

I wanted to reroll that pretty bad but decided the dice were deciding my fate in this game.  I'll be incredulous if I survive all 30 missions to complete the campaign but it's going to be fun to see what the game throws at me to see.  This next mission has me thinking it might be it since it is 15 zones deep and the other two were just 6 and 5.

W8taminute

Oh wow 15 zones deep?  Can't wait to see what happens.

nelmsm

Mission 3 - La Spezia, Italy

Got jumped right away over the Channel in Zone 2 by an Me110-F4.  No hits on his first pass as we didn't spot him until his tracers were whizzing overhead.  On the second pass we didn't score any hits but he got 3 on us.  Oe was superficial. Second hit was to the oxygen system in the rear centre section and the lucky bastard got a hit on the nose that destroyed the bombsight.  Bomb aimer said no way we could get bombs on target so decided to turn around and go home.  Weather over the base was still good and we landed safely.  Rather anticlimatic mission after we had pumped ourselves up to go 15 zones and over the Alps to deliver some presents for Mussolini.  Next mission will take us to Stettin, Germany, a full 11 zones and a lot of them over Germany.

nelmsm

Mission 4 - Stettin, Germany (Part 1)

Going to break this into two parts.  Part 1 here will be the outbound leg and bomb run.

FYI we have a full moon

Managed a smooth trip until we hit Zone 4.  Got spotted by searchlights and couldn't shake them.  Got attacked by an Me110 G-4 and an He219 A-0.  The Me110 missed on his first pass but the He219 scored 4 hits.  Received a hit on the port wing fuel tank but it must have sealed as we saw no fire and the gauges didn't show any leakage.  One superficial hit on the front centre section and one superficial hit on the tail section but we took one hit to the left rudder.  Second pass saw the Me110 shot down by the tail gunner.  He219 scored 6 more hits!  Two hits on the rear centre section, one superficial and the second pinged off the DR compass but didn't affect it any.  Port wing root took a hit and the starboard aerilon took a hit but it is still working right.  Last hit caused a light wound to the tail gunner but he said he was still good to fight on.
  Zone 5 saw a pass by a Do217 N-2 but it scored no hits and wasn't seen again.  Glad he didn't go to the same gunnery class as that He219 driver.
  Zone 6 saw us get one pass from an Me110 G-4 but it was enough as the control cables took a hit but the tail gunner took a serious hit and with already having a light wound he died before we could stop the bleeding.
  Zone 7 saw us caught in the searchlights again and attacked by an Me110 G-4.  It scored 7 hits.  Where did these sharpshooters come from?  Middle Upper Gunner reported a hit on his ammo feed but he was confident he could get it fixed (has to be down for another turn).  Right rudder took a hit and port wing root took a hit.  Scariest hit was on the bomb bay doors but they seem to still be functioning.  Always a fright to take a hit in the bomb bay when the ordinance is still on board. 
  Zone 8 saw us take some flak hits but only thing of consequence was a hit on the left rudder.  Got jumped by a Do217 who missed on his first pass but on is second it scored a light wound on the bomb aimer.  Third pass saw the port aerilon disabled.
  Zone 9 saw us getting a breather.
  Zone 10 we were jumped by a Do217 N-2 but the only damage was to the dinghy's on both wings.  Hope we don't have to ditch this bird!
  Zone 11 saw us over Stettin.  Flak was surprisingly light and it all missed.  We were attacked by an Me110 F-4 and a Ju88 C-6.  The Me110 missed but the Ju88 shredded the tail.  Right rudder took another hit but seems to functioning still and the W/T Operator who was manning the tail gun lost is suit heater.  Last thing was the tail wheel getting shot away.  Going to be a bumpy landing if we can get this flying piece of Swiss cheese back to merry ol' England.  Bomb aimer was a steady chap though and got 40% of our bombs on the target to make this trip worthwhile.  Now to get this shot up crate home.

Tune in for part 2 when we turn this plane around and try to get it back to England.  Big decision on whether to risk frostbite for the W/T Operator or to drop to low altitude and all the associated problems that brings...

Tripoli

Keep your altitude.  You are going to need it.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

W8taminute

Your poor tail gunner always seems to be having bad luck.  Hopefully the trip home won't be so dangerous.