What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Hahaha!!

You know after looking forward to reading Guns of August for for so long I was ultimately disappointed in it, found it really dryand slow going. Bizarre because I have read 3-4 other Tuchmann books and liked them, and WWI, well, you guys know of my interest. It just never clicked with me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on July 02, 2014, 07:21:39 AM
Hahaha!!

You know after looking forward to reading Guns of August for for so long I was ultimately disappointed in it, found it really dryand slow going. Bizarre because I have read 3-4 other Tuchmann books and liked them, and WWI, well, you guys know of my interest. It just never clicked with me.

I enjoyed it. It's flawed, but imho still a must read on the Great War.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

That's what everybody and their brother says and so I was set up for disappointment. Shut up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I tried to read Guns of August once, and it was pretty much as Gus says. I'd like to try it again sometime, and also The Arms of Krupp, eventually.

Gusington

The Arms.of Krupp looks great to me on paper...has anyone read it? It's been on my list forever but i don't actually own it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 01, 2014, 10:31:55 PM
In honor of the 150 anniversary of WWI I just started Guns of August.

whats wrong with this statement TCT?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Clearly Tent has perfected time travel and is posting from his zombie-proof bunker in the year 2064.

The real question is, where does he find the time to post when he's busy repopulating the human race through his concubines?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

TheCommandTent

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 03, 2014, 07:51:13 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 01, 2014, 10:31:55 PM
In honor of the 150 anniversary of WWI I just started Guns of August.

whats wrong with this statement TCT?

Quote from: mirth on July 03, 2014, 07:55:51 AM
Clearly Tent has perfected time travel and is posting from his zombie-proof bunker in the year 2064.

The real question is, where does he find the time to post when he's busy repopulating the human race through his concubines?

Yeah I don't do the whole numbers thing very well...........  :-[
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

BanzaiCat

GDS_Starfury

come on Mirth...

all ya need is some apple pi!

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 03, 2014, 08:27:52 AM
Yeah I don't do the whole numbers thing very well...........  :-[

just keep in mind that a 72% is not an A when grading.

airboy

I'm reading Monster Hunter Nemesis by Correa and King David's Spaceship by Pournelle.

TacticalWargames

Just finsihed NightLords Omnibus, Ultramarines Omnibus, Blood Angels Omnibus 1 and nearly finished 2. All in about three weeks! I'm devouring WH40K! After Vol2 it is Grey Knights Omnibus then onto The Founding Omnibus.