What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Reading Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander".  Might try to read the whole series.

Wouldn't mind trying Cornwell's Sharpe series as well.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bob48

Quote from: WallysWorld on February 10, 2015, 05:39:19 PM
Reading Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander".  Might try to read the whole series.

The O'Brian books are superb. I have all 20 books and have read them multiple times.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: WallysWorld on February 10, 2015, 05:39:19 PM

Enjoy the journey. Reading those books is like catching up with old friends for me.

No joke, when I see some interesting bird flying around sometimes I think "hey, I wish Maturin was here, he'd love that," before remembering that he's not real.

WallysWorld

Just past the part in the book where a midshipman is explaining the ship's rigging to the newly arrived Maturin. The detail that O'Brian went into was incredible.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

BanzaiCat

Panzer Leader by Guderian is only five bucks on Amazon, for a Kindle download. Anyone read this yet? I don't think I have. 800+ pages for that price is awesome, so I'm just curious if you guys have checked it out.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 12, 2015, 10:59:14 AM
Panzer Leader by Guderian is only five bucks on Amazon, for a Kindle download. Anyone read this yet? I don't think I have. 800+ pages for that price is awesome, so I'm just curious if you guys have checked it out.

A classic description of WW2 armored warfare and blitzkrieg. I have read the paperback version a couple of times. Well worth your time IMO.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bob48

Yes, its well worth it. I've read my copy at least 3 times.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

^Were you reading it as a 'Know Your Enemy' tome while serving with Monty?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Yeah, Monty said to me, 'You stay here and watch that bloke with the tank, me and the lads are off to the beach for while'.

'Clip those corners'

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bob48 on February 13, 2015, 12:52:41 PM
Yeah, Monty said to me, 'You stay here and watch that bloke with the tank, me and the lads are off to the beach for while'.

Makes sense. What a poser that guy was.

bob48

Aye, not like Patton at all. ;)

'Clip those corners'

vyshka

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 12, 2015, 12:58:21 PM

A classic description of WW2 armored warfare and blitzkrieg. I have read the paperback version a couple of times. Well worth your time IMO.

Is this the pickle partners publishing edition? I'm curious how the quality is of their kindle books. They have Oman's Peninsula War series as well, and I'm tempted but not sure if they are crap transfers or not.

BanzaiCat

Yep, it's Pickle Partners Publishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Panzer-Leader-Illustrated-Generaloberst-Guderian-ebook/dp/B00JKX6DOU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423862587&sr=1-1&keywords=panzer+leader+kindle

I haven't read any issues in the reviews. Check them out for the Peninsula War book and see if anyone's complained about that.

Edit: I went ahead and just now bought it. Format looks fine to me so far.

Gusington

Put aside my WWII Eastern Front reading for now and started The Makers of Scotland: Picts, Romans, Gaels and Vikings by Tim Clarkson. Read 50+ pages today, excellent so far.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Now, Gus, don't be too hard.  Monty's heart was in the right place (left side of the chest.)
And he did try so hard to put a certain jeune s'a quais to Eighth Army. 
During the Sicily fighting, the heat was tremendous and the troops were suffering.  Stuck in a traffic jam, he noticed that the truck drivers were all down to their scivvy shorts, except for one sartorial genius.  He was wearing a top hat - and nothing else.
With great aplomb he tipped his hat and drove on.
Monty just about split a gut laughing over that and recognizing that there could be issues when London heard of this put out a directive.  The desk bound bureacrats could be sticklers for propriety.
No member of Eight Army should wear top hats in the future.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.