What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on February 22, 2016, 09:25:01 AM
So mirth - Washington was all pissed that he had to go out into the saddle again and kick ass?

Or was it more of a moral dilemma...putting down a rebellion of fellow 'Muricans?

Not a moral dilemma. He wasn't in the best of health (he had suffered a serious back injury that he never really recovered from) and I don't think he was too keen on having to go back into the field.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on February 22, 2016, 09:25:01 AM
Anything on EMPs in there? I'm going to read Ted Koeppel's book on the subject soon...it's all the rage here at work.

Not so far. Just multi-megaton hydrogen bombs being dropped over rural North Carolina (as the scariest example so far) and Jupiter ballistic missiles in Europe (Turkey and Italy) being guarded by a single American officer with the launch key around his neck.

Gusington

The whole "illusion of safety" disturbs me a little...maybe a lot.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I had a rough weekend with a perfect storm of afflictions hitting me all at once...which was made worse by the fact that past weekend was the second of three weekends of our melodrama show. I still feel like crap but at least I'm not as exhausted as I was 24 hours ago.

Anyway, most of my weekend was spent trying to rest and recuperate from this nuclear assault on my body, so I did some reading. A LOT of buying and reading of Kindle books, in fact.

Bought The Miraculous Torpedo Squadron by Jūzõ Mori. It has high reviews (four stars), was only $2.99, and looked interesting: The author was a pilot for the IJN and was involved in many of its campaigns. I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Also bought Red Hammer 1994 by Robert Ratcliffe. Another four-star book for $3.99. This one details a nuclear war between Russia and the United States. I haven't had a chance to start this one yet, either.

I hadn't started either of the above because I HAVE been reading these two, which I just bought and am reading now, too:

Invasion Alaska by Vaughn Heppner. The reviews equal four stars and it's only $3.99 also. This is the first book of a lot of books in the series (five, perhaps more by now, I don't know). I wasn't expecting a lot from this, to be honest, but it's rather well written and the characters are believable and engaging. It takes place a bit in the future and of course makes some leaps to connect the dots as to why the world is where it is when the book starts, but it's not totally a stretch. I'm liking it.

Also have one called Invasion by several authors. It's free for Kindle devices right now and I'd recommend getting it if you're into alien contact kind of books. This one takes place a bit in the future too and centers on an upscale family and their plight while the world suddenly discovers that lots of alien ships are headed to Earth, with no idea as to their intention. I'm more than halfway through it and it's held my attention in my conscious hours this past weekend. It's pretty cool that they're giving it away for free; there's two other books in the series and this first one really builds up the tension as the alien ships get closer and this family struggles to do what they need to do.

A week ago, I also found this little gem: Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross. It's a pretty good read about an Austrian drafted into a Mountain Division and experiencing combat on the Eastern Front. It's also only $1.99 and has 4.5 stars as its average review.

My reading is going to diminish as I get better but damn I've found some decent books! Hope you guys try some of these out that I'm recommending.

One other thing - I finally finished Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir. VERY highly recommended if you have any interest in Dave Mustaine/Megadeth/metal in general. Especially recommended as it is currently $1.99.

Gusington

You catch the flu or something?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 23, 2016, 08:32:13 AM

Invasion Alaska by Vaughn Heppner. The reviews equal four stars and it's only $3.99 also. This is the first book of a lot of books in the series (five, perhaps more by now, I don't know). I wasn't expecting a lot from this, to be honest, but it's rather well written and the characters are believable and engaging. It takes place a bit in the future and of course makes some leaps to connect the dots as to why the world is where it is when the book starts, but it's not totally a stretch. I'm liking it.

I read this whole series last year. Much of the military stuff is cringe-worthy, but it is well-written, doesn't unfold as you expect, and the tension stays high until the end. The climax in the last book, even though completely unbelievable, was a lot of fun to read.

Greybriar

I am currently reading Doom of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It is the fourth book in their Dragonships of Vindras series.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on February 23, 2016, 08:49:18 AM
You catch the flu or something?

Too many things to count, and all at once.  :buck2:

Quote from: Airborne Rifles
I read this whole series last year. Much of the military stuff is cringe-worthy, but it is well-written, doesn't unfold as you expect, and the tension stays high until the end. The climax in the last book, even though completely unbelievable, was a lot of fun to read.

That's the feeling I'm getting, that there's going to be some potholes in the book's logic but overall it's a good enough read to make me want to keep going and find out what's going to happen next. I'm not near any conflict yet - it's about to happen but has not yet. I just finished reading a part yesterday about one of the characters getting his drunk dad away from the cops.

Airborne Rifles

I thought the first book was the weakest of the series. If you can get through that one the stakes get raised significantly in the follow-on books, and the author does have some interesting thoughts about near-future technologies like lasers, railguns, etc.

airboy

Aeronaut's Windless (see front page for a review) by Jim Butcher is excellent.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on February 23, 2016, 12:08:54 PM
I thought the first book was the weakest of the series. If you can get through that one the stakes get raised significantly in the follow-on books, and the author does have some interesting thoughts about near-future technologies like lasers, railguns, etc.

If I can get all the way through The Texas-Israeli War, I can get through anything.  O0

Almost.

MetalDog

Quote from: Greybriar on February 23, 2016, 11:20:37 AM
I am currently reading Doom of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It is the fourth book in their Dragonships of Vindras series.

My daughter is a Weis and Hickman nut.  How is that series?  I don't think she's read it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Huh. I don't remember buying this, but apparently I did during one of my OTC-drug hazes this past weekend.

Battlecruiser Alamo: The Price of Admiralty

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 23, 2016, 08:12:23 PM
Huh. I don't remember buying this, but apparently I did during one of my OTC-drug hazes this past weekend.

Did you read it finally? I know it's only 4 dollah but the signal-to-noise ratio in many of these self published books is cringe-worthy.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 23, 2016, 08:20:31 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 23, 2016, 08:12:23 PM

Did you read it finally? I know it's only 4 dollah but the signal-to-noise ratio in many of these self published books is cringe-worthy.

No, I hadn't read it quite yet, but I will give it a shot when I get done with either Invasion (Alien Invasion Book 1) or Invasion Alaska.