Just Call Me Friday, In The Morning Baby...

Started by W8taminute, January 12, 2024, 04:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on January 13, 2024, 08:22:59 AMMan, MiG Alley was awesome.  Oh, please Microsoft....please...
Yes, it was.  I'm surprised no one has revisited it.  Does the DCS Sabre campaign even come close to MA?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Phantom

Mix of mediums - Andean Abyss & Cold Waters

nelmsm

Quote from: Phantom on January 13, 2024, 08:48:24 AMMix of mediums - Andean Abyss & Cold Waters

Are you soloing the Andean Abyss?  It's great playing it on the Rally the Troops site since it is rules enforced.  I've probably played 20 or 30 games of this there.

Vox

Quote from: Tripoli on January 13, 2024, 08:25:19 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 13, 2024, 08:22:59 AMMan, MiG Alley was awesome.  Oh, please Microsoft....please...
Yes, it was.  I'm surprised no one has revisited it.  Does the DCS Sabre campaign even come close to MA?
Yes it does, with a very good F—86 model-of course  and there is a good campaign available "F-86F Hunters over the Yalu Campaign" (the WWII assets package is needed too). But for me it (DCS) did not have the immersion or feel of the Korean War like the  SO campaign in MA. The developer  (Rowan),   had a way combining wargame and simulation in their games.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Vox on January 13, 2024, 08:11:04 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 13, 2024, 07:42:09 AM
Quote from: Vox on January 13, 2024, 07:34:05 AMGoing retro:  Mig Alley. Continuing an on-going "Spring Offensive Campaign" by taking out some key  bridges. I think  I'll stay flying F-80s and F86 as BARCAP.

This runs on modern systems!?  :TimeOut:

MA runs well on the same win7/64 bit machine I use for BOB2 but it failed for me on win 10 testing. however, I have seen other players reporting some success with 10.

Win7 64bit Home, i3-6320 3.9 GHz, ASRock Z270 MB, DDR4 16GB, Samsung 2x SSDs, GeForce GTX 1660 6GB , Trackir and Cougar HoTAs

A few years ago I went through a heck of a journey to get MiG Alley to play on a modern system. The short answer is its highly dependent on your configuration but almost certainly won't work on anything post-Win 7. I'm actually something of a nut about getting Win 98-era games like this running and MiG Alley is literally the very worst and crankiest of probably over 100 games I've tried with respect to compatibility on modern Windows. Glorious game though.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Tripoli on January 13, 2024, 08:25:19 AM

Not the built-in one, because MA has that great dynamic campaign system. However, DCS Liberation (free dynamic campaign generator) is in a pretty awesome state, and of course the level of detail of the simulation is massively better in DCS.

Pete Dero

Great song but my personal favorite is the Juice Newton version.

Gaming will be limited to X4 and some Combat Mission.

solops

Quote from: Destraex on January 12, 2024, 11:18:07 PMWar Thunder ships still. I plan to vary my gaming again once I get top tier on one nation done. Then I am a casual player again.

Is this game MMO only? Can it be played offline, solo vs the ai ?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

^I've asked that for a while and the answer is pretty much 'not really' to my great disappointment.

Feel better Carl. And when you do start working on a modern version of MiG Alley please. For all grogkind.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 13, 2024, 01:00:55 PMGreat song but my personal favorite is the Juice Newton version.

Gaming will be limited to X4 and some Combat Mission.

I agree as I had a big crush on Juice Newton when I was a kid!  But this Billie Davis version I discovered recently touched my heart as well.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Destraex

Quote from: solops on January 13, 2024, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 12, 2024, 11:18:07 PMWar Thunder ships still. I plan to vary my gaming again once I get top tier on one nation done. Then I am a casual player again.

Is this game MMO only? Can it be played offline, solo vs the ai ?
I just discovered their are both coop missions (but none I could see for naval) AND custom missions that are 10 seconds to create and start on your own with an option for the bots to take any missing human places, which is all of them. I just started a 64 player match with all bots except me. Not sure if you get any progression in this mode though.
It is possible if I test this more I may be able to get friends to join vs bots. I will experiment with it more when I have time.

A lot of games especially at the lower tiers end up with each side being 10 a side bots apart from 1 or 2 humans on each side. Coastal craft matches especially seem to be devoid of humans.
There is a training mode where a lot of ships can be test driven and a lab where shell types against any ships armour can be tested at whatever angle you please.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Check this out for those that may want to play against bots:

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

Seems like you're enjoying WT Ships.  Is the progression system prohibitively grindy and expensive like WT Tanks?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Phantom

Quote from: nelmsm on January 13, 2024, 08:50:19 AM
Quote from: Phantom on January 13, 2024, 08:48:24 AMMix of mediums - Andean Abyss & Cold Waters

Are you soloing the Andean Abyss?  It's great playing it on the Rally the Troops site since it is rules enforced.  I've probably played 20 or 30 games of this there.

Yes, I'm soloing AA - I have looked at Rally the Troops (for AA & I also own Wilderness Wars) and it does seem a very good platform. I'm fortunate in that since my son left home I have a "games room" & can keep AA set up between plays, and still quite enjoy the benefits of a physical board game, but RTT is definitely on my radar.

Gusington

Hmm - how satisfying is it to play against bots in the World of Ships/Tanks games?

In other gaming news: it has been many years since I played and actually finished the main quest of Skyrim. I miss it, so I am going to get the Skyrim Anniversary Upgrade and then the Wabbajack mod manager. The game has evolved so much since my last playthrough it looks to be an entirely new experience.

Any of you still playing Skyrim? Anyone use Wabbajack?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd