Main Menu

Game DRM

Started by JudgeDredd, September 16, 2013, 04:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

GFWL isn't fit for purpose by any stretch of the imagination.  It's difficult enough just getting games running at all, let alone migrated from one configuration to another!

Toonces

GFWL is the devil.

You have to figure the guys that program Windows are pretty smart, right?  So how can GFWL be such a clusterf*ck? 

I can only assume that they outsouced development of GFWL to the same people that create most DoD websites.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Yet another huge issue with it:

Buggy-ass DRM.  A regular problem.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Toonces on September 20, 2013, 01:07:33 PM
GFWL is the devil.

You have to figure the guys that program Windows are pretty smart, right?  So how can GFWL be such a clusterf*ck? 

I can only assume that they outsouced development of GFWL to the same people that create most DoD websites.

Luckily, it's also dead. Sometime next year, the plug gets pulled.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 20, 2013, 06:51:04 PM
GFWL is the devil.

Does that mean that nobody will be able to play their GFWL titles after that?  ???

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 12:17:32 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 20, 2013, 06:51:04 PM
GFWL is the devil.

Does that mean that nobody will be able to play their GFWL titles after that?  ???

I never had a problem playing SP games with an offline profile. MP will be dead. Updates/patching will also be dead. Basically, it's up to the devs who chose to use GFWL. Some have switched already (this is part of the reason Dawn of War 2 was swapped over to Steamworks).